Sign in to follow this  
CDMullins

Pukki offered to every Championship side?

As old Stuart been telling porkies?

Bristol City's Lee Johnson;

"You've only got to look at the likes of Pukki, for example, who was literally sent in to every Championship side, I'll show you, about 100 e-mails," Johnson said, Obviously he came in and Norwich took a chance on him and he's done unbelievably well for Norwich. Some people would have written Pukki off, considering his past at Celtic and other clubs he's had."

Wonder how Lee Johnson has got hold of these 100 e-mails to all Championship clubs?

24 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

As old Stuart been telling porkies?

Bristol City's Lee Johnson;

"You've only got to look at the likes of Pukki, for example, who was literally sent in to every Championship side, I'll show you, about 100 e-mails," Johnson said, Obviously he came in and Norwich took a chance on him and he's done unbelievably well for Norwich. Some people would have written Pukki off, considering his past at Celtic and other clubs he's had."

Probably both telling the truth, C ; )

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

Wonder how Lee Johnson has got hold of these 100 e-mails to all Championship clubs?

My monies on Bielsa

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Yep, that's how transfers work. Agent sent in emails to all championship clubs (not sure how 100/24 works but whatever), doesn't even blind-carbon-copy the other clubs in, just a straight CC and everyone has a little group convo.

Pukki wanted to move on from Brondby so his agent would have contacted every club of a certain standard, in this country and abroad, so no great surprise there. Pukki himself said there was interest from other clubs that would have got him more money but he liked what hew saw at Norwich.

Directly following the paragraph OP has posted.

"That contradicts previous comments from Canaries sporting director Stuart Webber, who has said that Pukki was one of the strikers under consideration when he was one of the recruitment chiefs at Wolves, before the striker went on to join Celtic in 2013."

That's Incorrect by David Freezer. How does being offered a player by email (which i'm sure SW inbox is full of) suddenly mean he hadn't considered him previously.

Maybe we didn't scout Buendia either he just turned up at the training ground Odemwingie style.

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Pukki wanted to move on from Brondby so his agent would have contacted every club of a certain standard, in this country and abroad, so no great surprise there. Pukki himself said there was interest from other clubs that would have got him more money but he liked what hew saw at Norwich.

But that's not how SW described the transfer...

39 minutes ago, Ian said:

I think he means BRISTOL received and sent back about 100 emails in respect to them signing Pukki. Probably the sort of to'ing and fro'ing one would expect when trying to sign a player.

It would go like this... (this isn't verbatim by any stretch of the imagination)

Agent: "Would you like to sign this fella"

Club: "Well, I don't know much about him. Can you send me data and videos"

Agent: "Sure..."

Cue a tonne more emails of an agent trying to get his player a move and a bunch more from the club saying what they liked and didn't like.

Edited by BobLoz3

Doesn't it also contradict Pukki a bit, who said he didn't really plan or want to play in the Championship as he thought the league was too much long ball and physicality? If so why would he have been touted around specifically championship clubs?

17 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Doesn't it also contradict Pukki a bit, who said he didn't really plan or want to play in the Championship as he thought the league was too much long ball and physicality? If so why would he have been touted around specifically championship clubs?

I don't think agents consider their client's preferences a great deal these days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ian said:

They were all CC'd in the same emails.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

They were all CC'd in the same emails.

Dammit, you think these agents would at least learn to BCC these days...

4 hours ago, Ian said:

Dammit, you think these agents would at least learn to BCC these days...

They were probably hoping that the replies would be visible to all too, get bit of an Auction going. All sounds a bit amateurish to me though.

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

Dunno if it was specifically  Champs Clubs Hoggo, but look , i'm not a Hair Splitter. Anyway didnt his missus like the look of Naarich and Noorfook. Who cares, we got him ,and he's been very very good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Il Pirata said:

Poor old Ipswich, things could've have been so different..

There was a thread on TWTD either a few months before or around the time we got him, saying they had been looking at him, IIRC