Sign in to follow this  
Fluff

Would you trust Worthy to spend wisely?

Looking back over Worthy''s reign and the money that he has spent, I dont think that I would trust him to go to the chippy to get me pie and chips!  He would probably come back with a caow and some beans!

Francis, Ashton, Hucks, Safri and Edworthy (although stupidly released) came good, but what about Etuhuhuhuhu, Jarrett, Briggs, Heckingbottom...........................................................................

In a word NO. Reading today''s EDP, I noticed a couple of their sports writers were questioning his ability to identify quality transfer targets. So it''s not just Worthy Outers on this message board who have their doubts then. I was hoping the board  would sit tight and wait till the end of the season before releasing any funds. Sadly, I''ve already seen an Evening News flysheet proclaiming: "Worthy to get transfer cash". Damn! Looks like we''re stuck with the incompetent oaf for a while yet. Worthy out, NOW!

No - he''s spent an awful lot of money, with little to show for it. In fact some of his purchases cost money to remove - their contracts were bought out. He made his reputation with the two big signings Huckerby and Ashton, but otherwise there has been a dismal run of poor success in the transfer market, with the exceptions of Drury and Doherty and possiblt Mackenzie. But you only have to think of Rivers, Hickinbottom, Brigs, Easton, Stewart, to name some of his better failures!No, I hope that the Board holds some money back until we can find a more perceptive manager.

Other good signings: Jonsson, Svensson, Leon, Helveg, some of whom were scandalously misused.

Recent record is not good, but every manager has good and bad signings. I would not give Nigel any money at all, not becuase I wouldn''t trust him with it but because I think he''s done his job, time to move on with thanks for the memories and I would give the money to the new bloke.

All good comments here but aren''t we actually missing the point somewhat.

Worthy has a mixed record in the market (as most managers have). What is more worrying is what he does with players once he gets them here surely. If your face fits you play until you drop (or the fans force Worthy''s hand) e.g. Holt. If you don''t fit the bill you struggle like hell to either make the team OR you are ''converted'' to a role and / or st[:@]yle of play that is unsuitable. People say Rivers was a failure. Was he? If I remember he came here with a damn good reputation as a forward or wide man with pace who could score goals.  What did Worthy do to him? Insist that he ''got fit'', ''tracked back and tackled'' etc.

Remember Marc Libra. Full of flair and invention (albeit a tad greedy). I remember his last match at home v Rotherham in a depressing 0-0 draw on a cold, bleak evening in March 03. No ball to feet, no ball played into space for him to use his pace. Instead a pathetic endless stream of long, high punts down the middle for him to try and vainly head on.      

And what of Ashton. WHY did he want to leave when he was keen enough to join a team plunging headlong out of The Premiership? Because the style of play was ruining him. Watch a video of the goals he scored last season for Crewe as proof of the type of football he thrives on. How often did he get that here??   

Yes - we may (probably will) land the likes of Halford, Jerome, McSheffrey etc. and much of the anti Worthy stuff will die away only to resurrect itself months down the line when we see these players cut lonely and forlorn figures, all the potential and talent that they had on arrival having been coached out of them by Worthy and his two cohorts.

Excellent Yellow Rider, and I think you underestimate a lot of fans, though I am unsure if you are only judging the mood via this board.  I can''t think of one person I know who thinks he would spend the money wisely.  Not that mere old me can be a good judge, but mulitply me by a lot of other fans and I think you''ll get the picture.  Your summing up of Libbra and Ashton is spot on and I am so very sorry we have lost those two talents and had to put up with the donkeys trampling around but not getting anywhere.

Enough is enough.  Time to spend the Ashton money wisely and get rid of the Worthy Three.

Seems as tho he has already pledged most of the spare cash on a dead cert from Colchester Donkey Derby! ha

Has he targeted Jerome & Halford NC? Or is this a smokescreen to appease the fans whilst he pursues Gray & Lisbie?

I REALLY hope I am wrong & will eat humble pie willingly if I am!

What miffs me is the fact that the likes of proven quality & experience in players such as Sutton, Wise & Timm (loan) could''ve been had for free - add to that expenditure of say £4 million for Davenport & Halford, leaving ample monies for wages and I''m adamant that we''d have a squad pushing for promotion.

Dennis Wise is a thug, both on & off the pitch.  Sutton is on 30,000 a week at Brum, so hardly free is he?  You''ll have to explain Timm to me, minds gone blank on who that is. 

As i have just unnecessarily said in my other thread, im getting slightly annoyed at how Worthington "inquires" about good players, gets us excited and then doesnt put a bid in.