Sign in to follow this  
ben_645

If Man United lose today...

If Man United lose today to Liverpool and assume Norwich beat them next week (which is possible) we will move above them in the table. I know it does mean much really but it won’t half feel good. 

I’ll be so happy if that happens, I’ll donate £20 to a Nutty’s Rays Funds! Us above United would be worth it. 😂👍

As much as I hate Liverpool, the Man U goal shouldn’t have stood. A clear foul in the build up, VAR showed that without question. 

VAR is good, those implementing and using it are worse than useless

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

As much as I hate Liverpool, the Man U goal shouldn’t have stood. A clear foul in the build up, VAR showed that without question. 

VAR is good, those implementing and using it are worse than useless

It wasn't a foul.

See that's the problem, it's so subjective.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

It wasn't a foul.

See that's the problem, it's so subjective.

He completely missed the ball and kicked the man. 

I don’t have the rule book to hand but that’s surely close to the definition of a foul

Edited by Fiery Zac

And yes, lots of decisions are subjective and that’s why VAR is supposed to only intervene in clear and obvious errors. For me (and according to the rules of football) that was a clear and obvious error by the on field referee and should’ve been overturned.

Also what is the point of the pitch side monitor if it’s never ever used?

He touched the man, that doesn't mean its a foul.

Origi was clearly looking for it.

Referee yards away, I'm more than comfortable the right decision was made.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

He touched the man, that doesn't mean its a foul.

Origi was clearly looking for it.

Referee yards away, I'm more than comfortable the right decision was made.

I’m more than comfortable he went through the back of Origi, made no contact with the ball and kicked Origis leg. That’s a foul.

On a more general point about fouls...

Over games and seasons, the officials have set the bar for what constitutes a foul. I agree far too many players go down easily and a precedent needs to be set but they’ve created a rod for their own back by giving those kind of decisions the vast majority of times they occur.

If that had happened to us I would be livid as it’s simply not a decision that’s consistent in the majority of games these days. 

16 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Liverpool fans won’t be happy with that decision. Salt of the earth people who only want fairness. 

And Norwich fans “all have six fingers and sleep with their sister”.Don’t be stupid.

Edited by Nuff Said

So the draw makes it a little more difficult, only requires a 7-0 win to go above them now *. 😀

* this could be wrong as I'm not very good a maths.

How far back do you go? It is spoiling football and the people who wanted it the most are now moaning about it the most.

Liverpool still had chances to clear the ball but bad marking let in Rashford. Just whingeing is all.

The Rugby World Cup is showing what happens when you use the TMO. SO the All Blacks were awarded a try but one of their players came in from the side. But neither the Ref not TMO spotted it. I didn't see the Irish players surrounding the Ref or the coach throwing his toys around.

I would go so far as to say that VAR and the way the game uses it makes me want to puke.

VAR has been used to purely defend the referees, it was a foul by the standard the referee set by giving all those feee kicks before that one!

VAR was designed to take away poor decisions giving points which could ultimately cost teams millions, but it’s not being used as such, it’s a farce and should be removed from the game if it’s being used to sure up the referees ego!

46 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

So the draw makes it a little more difficult, only requires a 7-0 win to go above them now *. 😀

* this could be wrong as I'm not very good a maths.

You're right, six is not enough as they are alphabetically ahead of us .

• Thanks 1

So we've got this lot next week. Assumed we'd be on sky as 4.30pm Sunday kick off, but appears Liverpool v spurs is the TV game. I guess manure playing Europa league Thursday has put fixtures back.  Anyone think if this will end up being selected by sky or will we have to rely on a stream? DAZN or something? 

2 hours ago, greggp27 said:

So we've got this lot next week. Assumed we'd be on sky as 4.30pm Sunday kick off, but appears Liverpool v spurs is the TV game. I guess manure playing Europa league Thursday has put fixtures back.  Anyone think if this will end up being selected by sky or will we have to rely on a stream? DAZN or something? 

It's on live NBC Sports so available through lots of sites. Shouldn't be a problem, plus NBC don't generally give other scores during matches. Handy if you enjoy motd without knowing scores of other games.

48 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

The way United played today is bad for us, their tails are up and will try the same thing against us Bad News

I wouldn't necessarily read much into that- their players will naturally be up for Liverpool at home more than Norwich away. Hopefully their inconsistent form means a bit of a comedown next week.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Indy said:

VAR has been used to purely defend the referees, it was a foul by the standard the referee set by giving all those feee kicks before that one!

VAR was designed to take away poor decisions giving points which could ultimately cost teams millions, but it’s not being used as such, it’s a farce and should be removed from the game if it’s being used to sure up the referees ego!

Interesting point actually about the standard the ref has been reffing at. You’ll quite often see a player get a yellow for a fairly innocuous foul, but it’s the third or fourth they’ve committed. It’s that sort of thing which VAR can’t be used for. 

Man Utd’s goal yesterday was the perfect example of when the on field ref should go and look at the monitor. If he goes over there, sees that and thinks “yes, I saw that earlier and still think it would have been a soft free kick”, then fine. If he goes and says “oh actually, I didn’t realise he’d made contact but can now see he did”, then great. But at the moment you’ve got the upstairs VAR ref guess I g what he on-field ref saw and trying not to make the on-field ref look stupid. Both of those things can be avoided if the on-field ref makes the decision with the aid of an on-screen replay.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Indy said:

Atkinson generally likes to keep play going but he did blow up for lot's of little niggly fouls - the exact kind of foul that VAR didn't give on Origi for the first goal. Of course, it's completely subjective but I find all VAR is doing is infuriating people more.

Don't get me started on the new handball rule either..

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Atkinson generally likes to keep play going but he did blow up for lot's of little niggly fouls - the exact kind of foul that VAR didn't give on Origi for the first goal. Of course, it's completely subjective but I find all VAR is doing is infuriating people more.

Don't get me started on the new handball rule either..

Exactly that Hogesar, subjective, given that Atkinson was happy to give jiggly fouls to united throughout the first 20 odd minutes then by his standards for that game it was a clear free kick.

I dislike the way this is all going, VAR was designed to make sure the correct result from a situation was made not to sure up **** referees, their standards have gone down!

As far as I’m concerned it wouldn’t have been a free kick I’d have given but he did come through the back of the player and made contact just like the Mane hand ball both should have been disallowed.

I didn't see the united goal as a foul (barely touched the guy and wasn't upended) but I did see the Liverpool one as handball so VAR got that right for me on both counts.

VAR was brought in to review whether or not it was a foul, not to give fouls for even the most minimal of contact.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

I didn't see the united goal as a foul (barely touched the guy and wasn't upended) but I did see the Liverpool one as handball so VAR got that right for me on both counts.

VAR was brought in to review whether or not it was a foul, not to give fouls for even the most minimal of contact.

While I totally agree there were a series of fouls before that with less contact given, as soon as any challenges from behind happened he gave a free kick, and was pretty much consistent wit this till that critical one when he didn’t give it!

As I said if you set a standard you need to be consistent or you’re open to criticism, I would have been peed off if that would have happened to us and not Liverpool!

6 hours ago, Indy said:

While I totally agree there were a series of fouls before that with less contact given, as soon as any challenges from behind happened he gave a free kick, and was pretty much consistent wit this till that critical one when he didn’t give it!

As I said if you set a standard you need to be consistent or you’re open to criticism, I would have been peed off if that would have happened to us and not Liverpool!

It’s not (or shouldn’t be) VAR’s job though to determine whether a foul meets a certain standard that the on-field ref has been working to. VAR should be for (1) clear cut objective decisions such as offside, the new handball leading up to a goal rule (where intention is no longer relevant) and touchline calls. Everything else has a degree of subjectivity and it really should be the on-field ref’s call. 

Im not a huge rugby fan but I watched a bit last weekend and there were a couple of high tackle shouts where the ref and his assistants watched things back on the screens, discussed it (miked up so you could hear their reasoning) and then made a decision. Worked perfectly.

Watching the Sheff U Arsenal game, why didn’t VAR review the blatant shirt pull on Sokratis? Clear foul and pen.