Every year he gets written off and every year he proves us wrong and has at least one patch of excellent form.

I have to admit that I looked at Billing today and thought that he's exactly what we need when we can afford it, or if we can find one like that, but I'm backing Tettey for another year's deal. Even Webber only wanted to give the bloke a year, he's a survivor! 

It must be 4 years in a row now when Norwich fans have thought he's past his best and he's proven us wrong, if he wasn't so fragile he'd still be one of the first names on the XI every week.

He's going to have to be a candidate for legend status and lets just get his Hall of Fame entry over with now! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 3

Just now, kick it off said:

Legend for me already. He may be fragile but he's given everything he has to the cause.

Agreed. 

Also, I believe Man Utd at home will be his 200th league appearance for us. 

Need to find a way to show our appreciation? 

So underrated and quite bizarrely so as its quite a significant proportion of the fanbase rather than a vocal minority- so quite unusual. 

Just when you think his age or his knees have caught up with him he comes back and delivers. Not as mobile or technical as a Trybull but for pure defensive reading of the game and interceptions he has been our best option for god knows how many years now.

• Like 2

Tettey has continually been our best DM including last season. The period of the season between September and Xmas with Tettey and Leitner in midfield was the most impressive for me. We dug our way out of the poor start of the season, many players still working out how to play with each other and in their positions within the team and Tettey was instrumental in keeping it all together. 

I had numerous ‘debates’ on here about his effectiveness in the team and as good as Trybull has been, he simply doesn’t offer the protection that Tettey does. So disciplined and so focused, there’s no one better at being in the right place at the right time protecting the back 4. A simple ball to Leitner or elsewhere then got us going again. He doesn’t need the fancy tricks or passing range, he does his job superbly and let’s the rest do theirs. He’s also a leader on the pitch, of which we’ve been lacking of late with Krul and Zimmerman out.

A faithful servant that should be much more appreciated 

Edited by Fiery Zac
  • Like 7

We are so lucky to have him, especially given our injury situation. I would argue that Trybull is just as fragile but if you play in a position where have to tackle you are bound to get knocks.

• Like 1

Has proved his worth again and again. As a senior figure at the club his experience and knowhow is invaluable and it is a pleasure to watch him play. He has over the years become more disciplined and better able to read games and know what is needed in any situation. I would credit Farke too in developing him further - and the way he slotted in at CB yesterday was superb.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Has proved his worth again and again. As a senior figure at the club his experience and knowhow is invaluable and it is a pleasure to watch him play. He has over the years become more disciplined and better able to read games and know what is needed in any situation. I would credit Farke too in developing him further - and the way he slotted in at CB yesterday was superb.  

A good point mentioning Farke. Most would agree we all thought Tetteys time in the starting 11 and at the club was drawing to a close when he came in. Not only did he make him pivotal to our development and promotion, he also somehow built him some new knees that could play 2 or 3 games a week. Truly a messiah

Give him a  2 year contract and a Tetteymonial. 

But lets not mug him off like we did Hoolahan and make him share it with somebody who isn't eligible for one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Give him a  2 year contract and a Tetteymonial. 

But lets not mug him off like we did Hoolahan and make him share it with somebody who isn't eligible for one. 

We didn't "mug off" Hoolahan - Russ and Wes were both delighted to be able to share the day together, if you ever get a chance to speak to them...

Always look better with Tettey in the team cause he offers good protection for the defence with tenacious play!

Very effective player who more often than not gets unfairly criticized by blinkered fans when other less effective players don't!

Good job he was about yesterday cause we had our best away performance thanks to limiting Bournemouths efforts on goals cause for once our midfield wasn't outmuscled. Then done a sterling job at CB which I wouldn't have trusted on any other player on the pitch or bench yesterday!   

Edited by kingsway

43 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We didn't "mug off" Hoolahan - Russ and Wes were both delighted to be able to share the day together, if you ever get a chance to speak to them...

This. 

Also unlike in that situation there isn't anyone else in the club even close to serving nearly as long as Tettey so it's a moot point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I think if I ever met Wes then asking him such an impertinent question would be incredibly rude, I'm also not naive enough to believe that he'd answer that question honestly if any part of him did feel aggrieved. 

Obviously asking Russ whether he was happy to be granted a testimonial after 8 years service would be a bit of a silly question wouldn't it. 

I don't think it is a particularly controversial or 'out there' opinion to find it a bit strange that Russell Martin would be granted a testimonial, I can only assume it was part of the deal for his mutual termination. 

Paul McVeigh, Rob Newman, Robert Green, John Polston, Ian Butterworth, and Iwan Roberts all did 7 or 8 years service without one, and Ian Culverhouse did 9 years without one. 

I don't really care what the opinion of the players is, I've always believed 10 years service means a testimonial, and it doesn't really feel like Wes Hoolahan had one. As a fan I'd have rather seen Hoolahan have a dedicated testimonial against a big club, possibly Celtic, and for Russell Martin not to get one because he simply wasn't here for 10 years. He didn't have a career ending injury did he, he's not Fabrice Muamba and the majority of fans don't consider him a club legend. 

Even if we do consider him to have legend status, and you may, that would qualify quite a few other players for a game... Huckerby for a start. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

The testimonial originated in the days when players would retire from football and need to run a pub or work as a PE teacher, be a pundit or whatever to earn a living. Nowadays, even a pro who’s spent his whole career in the Championship shouldn’t ever need to work again if they’ve been sensible with their money. So the aim seems more to honour significant service, and I, as I would hope others would too, would argue that’s what Russell Martin gave this club, and not just in the pitch. An artificial “if you do 10 years with us, you qualify; if you don’t, you won’t get one” rule seems arbitrary to me in this day and age.

I don't think I've ever looked at the team sheet and thought "Ugh, Tettey". For me he's a name you look for and hope to see.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, GJP said:

I don't think I've ever looked at the team sheet and thought "Ugh, Tettey". For me he's a name you look for and hope to see.

I have to admit I used to, I thought his flaws more significant than his plus points. Since he’s been playing for Farke though, I’ve definitely become a fan. 

Especially since the classic “It’s me, Tettey” video.

6 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

The testimonial originated in the days when players would retire from football and need to run a pub or work as a PE teacher, be a pundit or whatever to earn a living. Nowadays, even a pro who’s spent his whole career in the Championship shouldn’t ever need to work again if they’ve been sensible with their money. So the aim seems more to honour significant service, and I, as I would hope others would too, would argue that’s what Russell Martin gave this club, and not just in the pitch. An artificial “if you do 10 years with us, you qualify; if you don’t, you won’t get one” rule seems arbitrary to me in this day and age.

Norwich and Ireland legend Hoolahan should have got a testimonial against Ireland to celebrate his greatness.

Russell Martin could have been thanked for his 8 years service at half-time with a little clap. 

Where the gate receipts from the game go is not my business, but a lot of players elect to give the money to charity these days. 

40% of footballers go bankrupt in retirement by the way, they don't have a very good understanding of what a normal lifestyle entails... and often their retirement precedes a divorce from a high-maintenance wag.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

.40% of footballers go bankrupt in retirement by the way, they don't have a very good understanding of what a normal lifestyle entails... and often their retirement precedes a divorce from a high-maintenance wag.

Is it really that many? 

I would bet their financial advisers do very well despite failing to deliver. I thought the clubs tried to help players with advice about this sort of thing? Obviously needs a bit more work.

It seems fitting in a way that Tettey is the last senior survivor from the Russ and Wes era, he has bridged the gap from those times to where we are now. In his 7 odd years here he has seen so many ups and downs, players  coming and going, but still gives his all and still showing, as yesterday, that we are the stronger for having him around.

If you were a neutral or a Cherries fan the 0-0 draw yeaterday was a dirge. 

If you are simply a Norwich fan it was a triumph against odds, a response to adversity and a heavy defeat and a valuable point with an edge of disappointment not to claim all three. 

But if you are a purist who understands the nuances of the beautiful game it was a classic moment (they aren't all about goals). 

The sight of a loyal ageing warrior just back from injury showing such match fitness and stamina. A veteran player taking the armband from a young departing leader and marshaling his troops. A player out of position alongside another still adapting to English football and also out of position and forging a partnership. It was magnificent. 

Tettey and Amadou roved across the back looking like covering midfielders without back up. Their style and motion added to the drama and the against the odds scenario. 

Tettey has had some fine moments but this was amongst his greatest and made a forgettable match one to remember. 

The clean sheet and point are at least as important to our mentality and morale going forwards as the two wins. 

Necessity might be the mother of invention but she is the grandmother of character. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Russell Martin could have been thanked for his 8 years service at half-time with a little clap.

Disrespectful. Russ may have slowed up in his last couple of seasons, but he was a valued member of our team during that golden period - it appears some people have short memories. Never a CB in my opinion anyway, was far better as a RB, and his clear passion for the club was such that he’d have played as a striker had it been called for - he never hid from anything, even when he knew he was in the firing line. There are 100’s, if not 1000’s, of former City players that are instantly forgettable - and Russ certainly isn’t one of them, he may not be a Holt or a Hoolahan, but he played his part with those boys and deserves a little more respect than such stupid comments as your ‘little clap’ remark.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Every year he gets written off and every year he proves us wrong and has at least one patch of excellent form.

I have to admit that I looked at Billing today and thought that he's exactly what we need when we can afford it, or if we can find one like that, but I'm backing Tettey for another year's deal. Even Webber only wanted to give the bloke a year, he's a survivor! 

It must be 4 years in a row now when Norwich fans have thought he's past his best and he's proven us wrong, if he wasn't so fragile he'd still be one of the first names on the XI every week.

He's going to have to be a candidate for legend status and lets just get his Hall of Fame entry over with now! 

Great club servant, still one of our best, and I actually feel a player who is better suited to the Prem than the Championship.

20 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Disrespectful. Russ may have slowed up in his last couple of seasons, but he was a valued member of our team during that golden period - it appears some people have short memories. Never a CB in my opinion anyway, was far better as a RB, and his clear passion for the club was such that he’d have played as a striker had it been called for - he never hid from anything, even when he knew he was in the firing line. There are 100’s, if not 1000’s, of former City players that are instantly forgettable - and Russ certainly isn’t one of them, he may not be a Holt or a Hoolahan, but he played his part with those boys and deserves a little more respect than such stupid comments as your ‘little clap’ remark.

A clap at half time is more than 99.5% of players get when they leave a club mate, I don't understand this weird cult of personality which surrounds an alright right back just because he was media friendly (liked to get in front of the camera).

Yes he was a decent right back for 4 or 5 years and a member of a successful team. When's the game for John Ruddy then? 

Better players have been quickly forgotten, John Polston did almost 200 games in the top flight for us. Just left the club, got a job and on with his life. Now a personal trainer. When was the last time you heard about him? 

Not sure I understand why there is an attempt by the club, by the player and a small-subsection of supporters to try and manufacture a club legend out of a pretty mediocre player whose achievements were no greater than a fair few of his teammates and pale into insignificance to almost every player we owned in the early-nineties, like our fantastic back five of Polston, Culverhouse, Newman, Bowen, Gunn. 

Lets not be cheap and tinpot with legend status and reserve it only for special players should we? We've got half a dozen potential true legends in the side right now, and a side which could go on to equal the greats of the late eighties and early nineties, couldn't give a fig about Russell Martin. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ian said:

Great club servant, still one of our best, and I actually feel a player who is better suited to the Prem than the Championship.

Yeah, probably better suited because less fixture congestion though. Championship clubs often play 3 games in 8 days, whereas its strictly one per week in the Premier League for almost all of the season until the last few weeks.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

A clap at half time is more than 99.5% of players get when they leave a club mate, I don't understand this weird cult of personality which surrounds an alright right back just because he was media friendly (liked to get in front of the camera).

Yes he was a decent right back for 4 or 5 years and a member of a successful team. When's the game for John Ruddy then? 

Better players have been quickly forgotten, John Polston did almost 200 games in the top flight for us. Just left the club, got a job and on with his life. Now a personal trainer. When was the last time you heard about him? 

Not sure I understand why there is an attempt by the club, by the player and a small-subsection of supporters to try and manufacture a club legend out of a pretty mediocre player whose achievements were no greater than a fair few of his teammates and pale into insignificance to almost every player we owned in the early-nineties, like our fantastic back five of Polston, Culverhouse, Newman, Bowen, Gunn. 

Lets not be cheap and tinpot with legend status and reserve it only for special players should we? We've got half a dozen potential true legends in the side right now, and a side which could go on to equal the greats of the late eighties and early nineties, couldn't give a fig about Russell Martin. 

Ok, Rob Newman had around 200 appearances for us, Russ nearer 300. Both contributing hugely to our 2 most recent golden periods pre Farke, Rob helping beat Munich and secure a 3rd place finish when, let’s face it, the Premier League was of today’s Championship standard. Russ gaining a League 1 title win followed by a Championship promotion the following year, winning a Playoff final at Wembley, plus 2 decent mid table seasons in a far superior Premier League. And most importantly, Rob wasn’t a natural in front of the camera, but Russ was, and that’s really the only reason why he’s respected for his time here by some weird Carrow Rd cult called grateful supporters, as I’m pleased you diligently noted.

In summary, I don’t know who you’re trying to kid, but please don’t try and tell me Rob Newman deserves much more credit or higher status for his contributions to City than Russ Martin. There is not the gulf that you’re trying to promote, and both equally deserve respect for what they both brought to 2 great NCFC eras - TV cameras or no TV cameras 👍🏼

I have always rated Tettey and have never quite understood why some have consistently written him off or criticised his passing. Of course if you play him next to another player who only plays simple passes then its going to leave you a bit lacking in creativity and I think sometimes people have not considered that. If you play Tettey next to the right player then he is generally excellent as he has been whenever he's come into the side this season. Its also absolutely no coincidence that in 2 of the 3 games he has played (and he obviously went off injured at Burnley) we have produced our best defensive displays of the season because, as others have said, he is the one who provides the screen for the defence or is capable of the sort of "professional" foul that stops the opposition midfield having a free run on our defence. 

Unless and Amadou proves himself a worthy replacement in that position Tettey should (fitness permitting) be starting every game and against the better sides I would play him alongside Trybull to really give us that midfield  solidity.

• Like 1

"Unless and Amadou proves himself a worthy replacement in that position Tettey should (fitness permitting) be starting every game and against the better sides I would play him alongside Trybull to really give us that midfield  solidity."

Agree.

Btw, Amadou made Jamie Redknapp's 'Team of the Week,'  for what it's worth.

Edited by BroadstairsR

7 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Ok, Rob Newman had around 200 appearances for us, Russ nearer 300. Both contributing hugely to our 2 most recent golden periods pre Farke, Rob helping beat Munich and secure a 3rd place finish when, let’s face it, the Premier League was of today’s Championship standard. Russ gaining a League 1 title win followed by a Championship promotion the following year, winning a Playoff final at Wembley, plus 2 decent mid table seasons in a far superior Premier League. And most importantly, Rob wasn’t a natural in front of the camera, but Russ was, and that’s really the only reason why he’s respected for his time here by some weird Carrow Rd cult called grateful supporters, as I’m pleased you diligently noted.

In summary, I don’t know who you’re trying to kid, but please don’t try and tell me Rob Newman deserves much more credit or higher status for his contributions to City than Russ Martin. There is not the gulf that you’re trying to promote, and both equally deserve respect for what they both brought to 2 great NCFC eras - TV cameras or no TV cameras 👍🏼

Surely his point though was that Martin appears to have got significantly more credit and a higher status than the likes of Newman, Bowen, Culverhouse etc?

I have nothing against Martin (good servant for us until he/we ruined it by insisting he was a centre back) but do tend to agree that being a good bloke and a face happy to do the media stuff does seem to have got him a "legend" status slightly above that which his performance levels merited and I do tend to think that in general, the tag "legend" is handed out to modern figures a bit too easily, as were places in our "Hall of Fame."

On a different note I see that Kensell, Zoe Ward and Stuart Webber have their own stickers in this new sticker album that has been produced. Not sure I've ever seen that before. Bit weird.

9 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It's weird thing to get riled about.

At the end of the day, it made the whole occasion all about Norwich, which worked for me. Rather than having someone relevant to Hoolahan's career like Blackpool or Ireland (there is no one else, is there? Livingston? Shelbourne?) you had two teams chock full of City legends.

I know they didn't plan for it when it was announced, but with it coinciding with the title parade it worked so much better than having a weak Irish team. As it was, on the day the current squad celebrated with the fans on City Hall and throughout the city centre, we had two sides full of heroes from previous squads. And it gave us the chance to give Ivo Pinto a good send off too.

To be honest, the whole day is pushing for the top ten of best days of my life so far.

• Like 2