Thirsty Lizard

That's An Absolutely Superb Point

I wouldn't say it was "absolutely superb", we simply need to gain some points on the road if we want to stay up and its nice that we've managed to get one.

Fantastic to manage a clean sheet with our injury problems, Bournemouth have got some fine attacking players and for most of the game they didn't get a sniff.

And we looked like we'd regained a bit of belief in the final third, despite not scoring we did look like we believed we could win the game in the last 20 minutes and that has been missing for the past few games. 

I've now got a good feeling about Man Utd at home as long as the International break hasn't rejuvenated them in a similar fashion. They aren't very good, in fact so far they've been looking like a mid-table side.... we're the home team.... I now believe we've got a chance of all 3 points in that fixture and I suspect Farke and the players do too.

Yes we may have to play two midfielders at centre back (touch wood we don't), but Man Utd haven't got any strikers and play midfielders up front so that evens things up somewhat! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Assuming Liverpool beat Man Utd tomorrow then a win for us next week will mean we overtake them. Plus we will move onto 10 points from 10 games.

10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I wouldn't say it was "absolutely superb", we simply need to gain some points on the road if we want to stay up and its nice that we've managed to get one.

Let’s face it, if we were top, you’d still find something wrong. 😉

34 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Let’s face it, if we were top, you’d still find something wrong. 😉

Nice bit of highly selective quoting, my next words were "Fantastic to manage a clean sheet with our injury problems, Bournemouth have got some fine attacking players and for most of the game they didn't get a sniff"

Mug.

To call a point at Bournemouth "absolutely superb" is setting the bar far too low, a few weeks ago we defeated the reigning Champions with 9 players out injured... that was "absolutely superb", the problem with that choice of words is that they don't really get any higher on the chart for praise, so if we beat Man Utd 5-0 next week is that also "absolutely superb" with the same status as a point away to Bournemouth? 

Or was this just a "good away performance"? I think so. Bournemouth and Norwich had the same number of players out injured yesterday. It was what it was, a good performance with some big positives... not worthy of being described as "absolutely superb", because we need to be collecting more of those points on the road against mid-table sides! 

Man City = Absolutely superb.

Bournemouth = Good performance. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I would agree "absolutely superb" is a bit over the top.  Satisfying maybe, good consolidating performance, encouraging, etc etc. 

We have had a difficult few weeks, but yesterday has put a stop to that, will have restored some confidence and belief and just given us a bit of relief from the onslaught that had we lost could have made the next few matches even harder.

So it's all good, players back from injury, a solid performance, a clean sheet and looking forward to the next match.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

I would agree "absolutely superb" is a bit over the top.  Satisfying maybe, good consolidating performance, encouraging, etc etc. 

Exactly mate, that's all I was saying. 

16 hours ago, Bill said:

a noticble difference todays was players qilling to 'hoof it clear' of the defence

I think that was a crucial difference Bill, I agree. 

Amadou in particular looks to have been told that its fine if he knocks it out for a corner or smashes it for a throw in at times, and its made him look more comfortable in that position as a result.

They were very tight on Pukki throughout.

In other games he might have snatched one.

Hernandez made some difference to this as his skill and pace demanded attention.

Start with Argos next time, imo.

Sacrilege I know, but the brilliance and sheer skill of young Cantwell lost possession more often than not.

He's a sub for me.

It's a question of effecting outcome.

I do wish we had a more physical option to bring on up front in games like this though (don't say Srebeny). Bournemouth clearly knew if they gave us the wide spaces we were highly unlikely to score by putting crosses in. 

24 minutes ago, king canary said:

I do wish we had a more physical option to bring on up front in games like this though (don't say Srebeny). Bournemouth clearly knew if they gave us the wide spaces we were highly unlikely to score by putting crosses in. 

Did anyone else notice how many aerial balls Kenny won?  I don't know where he gets his spring from, but when everyone positionally rotated around such that he was the main support for Pukki, he won almost every aerial ball played up to him with some decent flick ons too.

I guess Bournemouth aren't the biggest side, but still, worth considering him as a direct positional replacement for Stiepermann on that showing?  I'd like to see him start there next game, as Mo looks a bit lost that high up the pitch and is more effective with his range of passing further back.

15 minutes ago, Orly said:

Did anyone else notice how many aerial balls Kenny won?  I don't know where he gets his spring from, but when everyone positionally rotated around such that he was the main support for Pukki, he won almost every aerial ball played up to him with some decent flick ons too.

I guess Bournemouth aren't the biggest side, but still, worth considering him as a direct positional replacement for Stiepermann on that showing?  I'd like to see him start there next game, as Mo looks a bit lost that high up the pitch and is more effective with his range of passing further back.

I agree with this. I expected McLean to play in Stieperman's position. Leitner looks better playing deeper.

• Like 3

Thought Leitner was pretty ineffective in that higher position - certainly not massively better than Stiepermann, who has the added bonus of offering the physical option. 

I'd personally like to see Cantwell given a go there to allow for some more pace out wide. I don't think Letiner or Vrancic really suit playing that high up the pitch.

There is also the possibility of asking Pukki to play a bit more withdrawn just off Drmic and use his intelligence in space there but you risk neutering your best striker by doing that.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Nice bit of highly selective quoting, my next words were "Fantastic to manage a clean sheet with our injury problems, Bournemouth have got some fine attacking players and for most of the game they didn't get a sniff"

Mug.

To call a point at Bournemouth "absolutely superb" is setting the bar far too low, a few weeks ago we defeated the reigning Champions with 9 players out injured... that was "absolutely superb", the problem with that choice of words is that they don't really get any higher on the chart for praise, so if we beat Man Utd 5-0 next week is that also "absolutely superb" with the same status as a point away to Bournemouth? 

Or was this just a "good away performance"? I think so. Bournemouth and Norwich had the same number of players out injured yesterday. It was what it was, a good performance with some big positives... not worthy of being described as "absolutely superb", because we need to be collecting more of those points on the road against mid-table sides! 

Man City = Absolutely superb.

Bournemouth = Good performance. 

If you read what I said again, it was that you would find something wrong. In the circumstances, I think a supporter is allowed to use a bit of a rhetorical flourish to emphasise yesterday’s achievement. But you always seem to feel the need to point out why our glass is always actually half empty, not half full.

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

If you read what I said again, it was that you would find something wrong. In the circumstances, I think a supporter is allowed to use a bit of a rhetorical flourish to emphasise yesterday’s achievement. But you always seem to feel the need to point out why our glass is always actually half empty, not half full.

Sorry for not ejaculating at a point away to Bournemouth and 1 goal in 5 games. 

It was a good performance with some positives to take from it and a very strong final 20 minutes, makes me look forward to Man Utd. It wasn't anything too special though and Bournemouth weren't at the races. 

It was better than a lot of us were expecting and I think we may have turned the corner. But if realism and not being too emotive makes me glass half full then fine. 

My stance is probably similar to Daniel Farke's, he won't have gone in the dressing room and given them too much praise... he's grounded and knows we need to build on that performance. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Thought Leitner was pretty ineffective in that higher position - certainly not massively better than Stiepermann, who has the added bonus of offering the physical option. 

When Hernandez is fit to start games I wouldn't have either of them in that central spot, I'd have Cantwell. 

Not conceding a goal was a massive step in the right direction. As Alen Hanson always maintains, a successful team is built from a solid defence. 

8 hours ago, king canary said:

I'd personally like to see Cantwell given a go there to allow for some more pace out wide. I don't think Letiner or Vrancic really suit playing that high up the pitch.

There is also the possibility of asking Pukki to play a bit more withdrawn just off Drmic and use his intelligence in space there but you risk neutering your best striker by doing that.

I wouldn't agree on Cantwell currently, but the prospect of Pukki being deployed deeper with Drmic in front could be an interesting one, especially if the positions were fluid and interchangeable. 

Drmic 

Hernandez  Pukki   Buendia 

I do like the look of that. 

Edited by Il Pirata

On 19/10/2019 at 19:43, Making Plans said:

Felt like a win to me

and it would not have been undeserved if it was

they didn't really pose much of a goal threat, and Krul had yet another good game

this was the game where we should have fallen apart again, confirming that we are 'not good enough'

however the opposite was true, and we will continue to learn and develop

four acadamy players, two freebies (Krul/Pukki), a couple of 'misfits' (Leitner/Trybull) with the old warhorse Tettey provin his worth yet again with Amaduo (who he ?), Buendia the same and a canny Scot who cost a 1980's fee

none of whom looked out of place in a PL game - and there's others on their way back....injury and getting up to pace Heise, Roberts, Drmic, Srbenny

we'll still be in the PL this time next year - that I am certain of

18 minutes ago, Bill said:

four acadamy players, two freebies (Krul/Pukki), a couple of 'misfits' (Leitner/Trybull) with the old warhorse Tettey provin his worth yet again with Amaduo (who he ?), Buendia the same and a canny Scot who cost a 1980's fee

The Dirty Dozen? 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Trybull was also freebie. Ironically only signed because Tettey got crocked at the start of the season, together on the pitch on Saturday and both fantastic. 

23 hours ago, king canary said:

Problem is Pukki is at his best making runs off the last man both diagonally and straight - if he's playing deeper we'd lose that. Can't see that happening unless Pukki goes through a very long spell of not scoring..