Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

*****Official match thread v Bournemouth*****

Excellent result. 

Second half is really good. And after being critical to Buendia on half-time, I must say that his work effort on second half was one of the reasons for tram having so good 2nd half. That was exactly the kind of performance from Emi that I think he is capable to and its plenty. 

Also, nice to see Onel back and looking dangerous.

Managed to catch a decent stream for most of the game.

It obviously goes without saying that that was a much better performance than Villa. Brilliant to see Onel back.

I thought Aarons looked sharp today and Lewis was my motm.

If Godfrey is out for an extended period, I will be more disappointed than happy though.

Very good performance given the circumstances, thought we created the better chances in the second half and thought that Tettey and Amadou performed admirably, Hernandez also looked extremely dangerous in the limited time he had on the pitch.

Onel to start ahead of Todd next match. We really could have won that but the positives are a clean sheet and a point

Excellent performance all things considered. Strange that we looked better without a CB on the pitch. Can't argue with Tettey as MOTM but Amadou top man as well. Krul didn't have much to do but looked calm and assured.

Makes the weekend much brighter.

Bournemouth couldn't have felt hard done by if we had won. 

Good point though. 

The lesson is: earn the right to play our football. Once we had we looked fluent going forward and played a high back line. 

Despite Ben going off, plenty of positives to take from a battling clean sheet away from home in the circumstances. Well done to the lads, almost nicked it! Strong evidence that there would be more points on the board without all these defensive injuries. Good aul Alex Tettey! He's Farke's 'go-to' man when the confidence is brittle & a bit of pragmatism is required! Sounds like Amadou was effective today too. Get well soon Big Ben!

A couple of questions for anyone who was there: Were there "tweaks" to DF's playing philosophy today? Did Aarons & Lewis play more conservatively? How did Trybull & Onel look?

Looking forward to Man U now. What will the defence look like next week??? OTBC!

Good result that, grinding out points away from home will give us the best chance of staying up, at least until we can reinforce in January.

Only grumble is at this point I'd be tempted to drop Buendia- he's looked poor most of the season and he obviously gets frustrated when things don't go his way. Maybe a spell on the bench with Onel starting could benefit him.

I've just had a quick skim of the thread and I'll make a few points:

Did we really miss Stiepermann? I don't think we played any worse going forward than against Burnley, Palace and Villa.

Was Buendia really that bad? OK, he wasn't fantastic, but I think he did better than Cantwell today, and let's not forget that only De Bruyne has more assists than him in the Premier League so far.

Free agent centre backs? If the choice is between Johan Djourou, Jack Rodwell, Marc Wilson and what we currently have, then I'm happy to use two holding midfielders in there.

Much better 2nd half, we got our mojo back (a bit).

The BIG plus for me was Onel - like a charging bull down the wing with the touch of a footballing gazelle. Towards the end he took a ball down on the goal line & cut inside the defender in one sweet move then fizzed the ball across. Bournemouth simply couldn't handle his pace, touch & strength. Bootiful!

Good performance and the clean sheet will hopefully calm the panic regarding our defending. Positive result and a lot to look forward to as more come back from injury 😀

Edited by ThorpeCanary

5 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Excellent performance all things considered. Strange that we looked better without a CB on the pitch. Can't argue with Tettey as MOTM but Amadou top man as well. Krul didn't have much to do but looked calm and assured.

Makes the weekend much brighter.

I had Jamal Lewis as my MOTM but Tettey and Amadou were my other two top contenders and thought all 3 deserved it

Yesterday I would have taken 40 minutes without a recognised centre half for a point at Bournemouth for sure, and an unscathed return for Tettey, Krul, Trybull and Onel to boot.