Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Team for Bournmouth

If Tettey and/or Trybull are fit this weekend, what would your team be?

Would you play either in midfield and keep Amadou in defence?

Or with Hanley out would you bring in Byram, and push Amadou into the middle?

I'd honestly bring in Famewo alongside Godfrey. Youngsters stepped up last season when needed, let's at least give it a try again this time around. If it works we've got another multi-million pound player on our hands, if it doesn't then he's surely no worse than Amadou in that position - Amadou looks a fantastic option in the DM role (and having him there would likely take a lot of the pressure off the two CBs anyhow) but clearly isn't cut out to be a successful CB himself.  Byram I don't see as a CB and I don't think Farke does either otherwise he'd surely have played him there before now? Wouldnt be opposed to Byram starting if Max is tired or carrying any knocks though, he's a good player and we can't afford to have anyone else picking up injuries.

Krul

Byram/Aarons  Godfrey  Famewo  Lewis

Tettey  Amadou

Buendia   Drmic   Cantwell

Pukki

Bench : McGovern, Byram/Aarons, Trybull, McLean, Stiepermann, Hernandez, Idah

----------------------------Krul-----------------------------

--Aarons---Amadou----Godfrey----Lewis---

---------------Tettey--------McLean*------------------

--Buendia-------Cantwell-----Hernandez**---

-------------------------Pukki-----------------------------

*Initially started this team with Leitner, but feel he has been overran a bit too easily in recent fixtures. Think Tettey / Trybull and Leitner / McLean are quite interchangeable in any case.

**Hernandez confirmed as not fit for the full 90, so unlikely to start, equally happy to try Roberts in there, just think we need to freshen up the front 4 and Bournemouth away probably not be the same physical threat as West Ham, Burnley nor Palace so could be an opportunity for a 'lighter' front 4.

If things aren't working then Steipermann and Leitner to come on on 60 minutes - early substitutions please! 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

Sorry, but this “we played youngsters before and that turned out great” argument is simplistic in the extreme. Farke and his team looked at Jamal, Max and Ben and decided for each one the risk of playing them was justified. Maybe they will think Famewo is also worth the risk, but if they don’t play him, it will be because they have used their considerable skill and judgement and decided he isn’t currently up to it.

• Like 3

I would  be cautious about rushing players back, preferring to look for appearances from the bench if they are needed,  knowing we finally have some options again.   I would not be surprised if Tettey starts for either of my chosen deep midfielders.

Hanley to start of fit,  the Amamdou Godfrey pairing was only an emergency fix and isnt working as a prtnership,  Ben needs more coaching at the moment than Amadou can give.   Same goes for Hanley but to a lesser extent 

Amadou ahead of Tettey (better on the ball) and Trybull (shows he is more prepared to tackle) for me. 

Krul

Aarons Hanley Godfrey Lewis

Amadou Leitner

Buendia Steipermann Cantwell

Pukki

Subs

McGovern, Byram,  Tettey, Trybull, Onel, Drmic, Idah  

While all the blame seems to be heaped on the defence, our midfield cannot escape the blame. I never believed I would say this in 2019 but I think Alex has to come into midfield and then keep Amadou at CB.

I then think it is whether Marco keeps his place. Some believe he is out of his depth but with Onel still out then I think he has to stay. I haven't seen anything of Roberts as to whether he could come in and give Todd a chance in MArco's role.

6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Sorry, but this “we played youngsters before and that turned out great” argument is simplistic in the extreme. Farke and his team looked at Jamal, Max and Ben and decided for each one the risk of playing them was justified. Maybe they will think Famewo is also worth the risk, but if they don’t play him, it will be because they have used their considerable skill and judgement and decided he isn’t currently up to it.

Yep- in his first season Farke preferred to put an injured Harrison Reed on the bench rather than a prospect he thought wasn't ready.

As Tettey is fit then play in tandem with Leitner as DM pairing it worked ok at the early stages last season.  Amadou to continue at CB until we get fit players namely Zimmermann.  Would like to see three at Back with Byram on right Cb, Godfrey on left to make us more solid.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Believe Hanley is out for 7-8 weeks ZLF!

Literally just read that and back here to post the same.    So thats one CB to last until Xmas - gulp,  pray that Ben is and stays fit.   

Can only persevere with Amadou and Godfrey then,   I probably have a preference for Tettey with Leitner based on the citeh game.

That is pretty bad news if true re: Hanley, it’s not his fault but we really needed to get that Blackburn loan done and another body in during the summer. 

If DF doesn’t fancy Famewo I do wonder if Byram (or Heise) should be given a go at cb.  IMO it could end up being crucial that Amadou gets a run out at cdm before too long.

8 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

That is pretty bad news if true re: Hanley, it’s not his fault but we really needed to get that Blackburn loan done and another body in during the summer. 

If DF doesn’t fancy Famewo I do wonder if Byram (or Heise) should be given a go at cb.  IMO it could end up being crucial that Amadou gets a run out at cdm before too long.

If we get Zimmerman back in November then it isn't too bad but we absolutely need to have a central defender lined up to join us Jan 1st even if we have to overpay a bit.

Farke wasn't wasnt playing Hanley when he was available , so we/he can't complain now he isn-t...

That is true but DF did have better options than he has now. Hanley playing would free Amadou to play the role we bought him for and tighten midfield in front of the defence.
And surely that is why you have a squad. McGovern was third choice but has been needed.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Farke wasn't wasnt playing Hanley when he was available , so we/he can't complain now he isn-t...

That is true but DF did have better options than he has now. Hanley playing would free Amadou to play the role we bought him for and tighten midfield in front of the defence.
And surely that is why you have a squad. McGovern was third choice but has been needed.

....I'm referring to these last few weeks

...and would Hanley have started tomorrow even if he was fit? , I'm not so sure

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Believe Hanley is out for 7-8 weeks ZLF!

Thought I read 7 weeks from when he had the op done which was the beginning of last week, so another 5 weeks, maybe 22nd Nov ??

Good to see people starting to come back from injury. Looking forward to Vrancic coming back soon too, but in the meantime I'd go with:

Krul
Aarons Godfrey Amadou Lewis
Leitner Trybull
Buendia Cantwell Roberts
Pukki

McGovern, Byram, Tettey, McLean, Hernandez, Stiepermann, Drmic.

We definitely play better against 'footballing sides', so I'd expect us to get something from this one.

It’s interesting that not too many seem to plan to start with Stiepi - no real complaints from me, he’s not quite been ‘there’ too often this season; one issue leaving him out is the lack of height it leaves us.

Patrick Roberts has just been named in the U23 team tonight which presumably means he hasnt travelled??.....Idah and Heise there too

...from that evidence i'll go with..

Krul

Aarons Amadou Godfrey Lewis

Tettey   Leitner

Buendia  Steipermann  Cantwell

Pukki

McGovern Byram Trybull McLean Hernandez Drmic Srbeny

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Were we flush with defensive options I'd agree with you, but when we're starting a player in defence who (a) clearly doesn't have the required skillset to play there at this level and (b) is desperately needed elsewhere on the pitch where his particular talents can be much more effectively put to use, I think we need to take the risk. 

...and would Hanley have started tomorrow even if he was fit? , I'm not so sure

I think he would have started. At least it is his natural position.

So for me we can play a stronger defensive midfield unit which could relieve pressure on the back four.

I want to see Amado in that CDM ASAP and feel our injuries do me you could see him play centre half with AT and TT returning. 

But I think we need this player in his preferred position alongside Lwitner

We need to start winning the midfield and Amado will naturally sit deeper protecting our young defence.

So I would be happy with Famewo for this game, there is no pressure. 

Krul

Aaron,  Famewo, Godfrey,  Lewis

Amadou,  leitner

Buendia, Marco, Todd 

Pukki

Byram, tettey, vrancic, drmic, onel and mcgovern on the bench

I can see why TT/AT could be brought in with Amado staying at centre half. But I want to build that midfield that is so important for this season.

I think thus is a game however when pukka needs the players around him to play a stormer, let's play at Bournemouth. Test them

Either way it could be an exciting game.

Listening to Daniel's press conference, I think he's still a bit concerned about Tom's fitness & I suspect Alex may start. Also it's a bit worrying that Ben's only been able to train for 1 day since his op. So it wouldn't totally surprise me to see perhaps Ibrahim & Byram (for example) as CBs with Alex at DM.

I'd go with two defensive midfielders in Tetty and Trybull to try and give some cover to the centre backs until we get Hanley or Zimbo back.

we absolutely have to find a way of stemming the goals against and I think we have enough about us in other areas to cause teams problems going forward 

2 hours ago, andyc24_uk said:

Were we flush with defensive options I'd agree with you, but when we're starting a player in defence who (a) clearly doesn't have the required skillset to play there at this level and (b) is desperately needed elsewhere on the pitch where his particular talents can be much more effectively put to use, I think we need to take the risk. 

But based on what? I’ve never seen him kick a ball, all I know is that Farke once put him on the bench, and I don’t think he was overflowing with options at the time.

And Tettey as CDM for me, it’s less than twelve months since he was doing a great job in the Championship. It might not be the best long-term solution in that spot, but given where we are, I feel Amadou has to stay at CB. The longer he plays there we at least have the benefit of him gaining experience. 

31 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

So we're now struggling like hell to score goals (one gift in last three games) yet we go to Bournemouth without Roberts and Idah!!!!

Wonder what the odds are on a fourth successive 2-0 away loss??  

Eh????? We only play with one centre forward and presumably we've got Drmic and Srebny to cover that position.  And we've got Cantwell, Emi, Stiepermann, Hernandez and possibly also McLean and Leitner to cover the other attacking positions.

I don't get the fascination some of our fans seem to have with Roberts. I really hope that his spell with us is a resounding success, but so far I've seen nothing from him that suggests he should be playing in front of the others I've mentioned - and more importantly it appears that Farke hasn't either at the moment. 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Like 3

It's a real tough one in defence. Do we persist with Amadou who has had a torrid time of it in the last three games and hasn't looked anything like a Premier League centre back? Do we put someone else in there to allow Amadou to move into midfield, and if so, who? Famewo who has never played anywhere near this level before, or a different round peg in a square hole?

Had we not had any of our defensive midfielders back, I would've said that we have to push Amadou into his best position. But luckily we have Tettey, so I'd play him and leave Amadou where he is in the hope that he doesn't get bullied by a Wood or Wesley type, which Bournemouth don't really have.

I'd bring Tettey in for McLean and Krul for McGovern, and leave it at that. Hernandez will be an exciting weapon from the bench, and Stiepermann is possibly drinking in the last chance saloon with Hernandez back, as he hasn't been at his best and we could easily move Cantwell inside and play Hernandez next week.

• Like 2

Krul 

Aarons    Byram    Godfrey   Lewis

Amadou      Tettey/Trybull
Buendia     Drmic/Leitner  Cantwell

Pukki