lappinitup

Stinking rich Chinese investor

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Well Delia herself has freely admitted on many occasions that they don't really have a clue about running the club.....

How about a link to just one of them Jimbo?

The best owners in terms of investment as well as building a club and a team on the pitch probably belong to Leicester. I'm not sure whether there was much science involved in that success, I suspect it's more down to the people who are clearly respected (loved, even) by the supporters.

It's also clear that money can buy success, though it may not be guaranteed at  a lower level for Championship success, Wolves bought promotion easily enough. If you spend enough on very high quality players, whatever league you're in, you will win games of football. Does that get you a club which is respected in a wider community like Norwich and Norfolk? Using Leicester as the example, only if the people have the necessary humility, honesty and grace to go with the size of their wallets.

For me, as a supporter, the people are more important than the money though I accept that for others that might not be the case.

But then I don't really care what league we play in or whether we win things, as long as we play proper football and have the right sort of people in charge who understand what they are there for. A billionaire with the qualities of Delia would be perfect!

1 minute ago, sgncfc said:

The best owners in terms of investment as well as building a club and a team on the pitch probably belong to Leicester. I'm not sure whether there was much science involved in that success, I suspect it's more down to the people who are clearly respected (loved, even) by the supporters.

It's also clear that money can buy success, though it may not be guaranteed at  a lower level for Championship success, Wolves bought promotion easily enough. If you spend enough on very high quality players, whatever league you're in, you will win games of football. Does that get you a club which is respected in a wider community like Norwich and Norfolk? Using Leicester as the example, only if the people have the necessary humility, honesty and grace to go with the size of their wallets.

For me, as a supporter, the people are more important than the money though I accept that for others that might not be the case.

But then I don't really care what league we play in or whether we win things, as long as we play proper football and have the right sort of people in charge who understand what they are there for. A billionaire with the qualities of Delia would be perfect!

As with all things, there is no set 'type' of good owners and these things are ever-changing.

I'd argue the owners at Leicester, Bournemouth and the previous owners at Southampton are the best example of the unrelated billionaire owners while Pompey and  Blackburn are the opposite end.

Steve Gibson and Peter Coates used to be the perfect examples of 'local boy done good' sort of owners but I know Boro fans are already questioning whether Gibson has run his course as an owner.

Right now our owners definitely sit in the overachieving column but football is fickle and I'm not convinced about the sustainability of what we're doing right now.

32 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Well Delia herself has freely admitted on many occasions that they don't really have a clue about running the club - this is why, I would suggest, our periods of "success" (although I don't really regard us getting promoted under Neil with the team we had as a success, as enjoyable as it was) have tended to coincide with good quality people being brought to run the club.

So I suppose the only advice I would take from them is to make sure you get a good CEO/Director of Football. I would venture to suggest that a wealthy owner is just as capable of doing that as a poor one. 

So why has it been impossible for these owner/investors at other clubs to appoint any of these people while our owners have done it twice?

4 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Question for Jimbo

How do our owners continually get promoted when the likes of Leeds, Forest, Derby, Birmingham, Ipswich, Sheffield Weds, QPR, Reading, Blackburn, Sunderland etc can't?

If they're all bad owners what are the chances we'd get a good one? 

Bump

48 minutes ago, king canary said:

Right now our owners definitely sit in the overachieving column but football is fickle and I'm not convinced about the sustainability of what we're doing right now.

Really? It’s a damn sight more sustainable than we were, when only the fact we had Maddison saved us from drastic cuts. If we go down this season, we would do so with several very valuable players, an academy very well stocked with promising young players, and a new and impressive training ground. If that’s not a lot more sustainable than most clubs, I’ll ... well I’ll be surprised.

30 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Really? It’s a damn sight more sustainable than we were, when only the fact we had Maddison saved us from drastic cuts. If we go down this season, we would do so with several very valuable players, an academy very well stocked with promising young players, and a new and impressive training ground. If that’s not a lot more sustainable than most clubs, I’ll ... well I’ll be surprised.

Sorry I meant more sustainable in terms of what happens on the pitch (although there are also limitations to its financial sustainability also). 

If we go down I think it is likely we sell a good chunk of our first XI. I'm interested to know what that, combined with the Premier League money we'd have would mean for our budget in the Championship. Would we then be one of the powerhouses in terms of spending power at that level or would we still be sticking to tight budgets and asking Webber to pull off miracles? 

I guess it all depends on what people are happiest with. I suspect many just see EPL and nothing else. Others, me included, are happy that the club survives, has more than its fair shares of days in the sun and continues to serve up decent football.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Bump

well one of the reasons we have been able to get promoted Nutty is because we got relegated first!

I'm not saying our owners haven't done ok. Clearly if you can't actually stay in the premier league then having a good record at bouncing back is the next best thing. However, for one it would be nice to stick about for a few years wouldn't it?

13 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

well one of the reasons we have been able to get promoted Nutty is because we got relegated first!

I'm not saying our owners haven't done ok. Clearly if you can't actually stay in the premier league then having a good record at bouncing back is the next best thing. However, for one it would be nice to stick about for a few years wouldn't it?

You mean like Bournemouth ,Watford, Burnley,Palace and up until recently Stoke ?

20 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

You mean like Bournemouth ,Watford, Burnley,Palace and up until recently Stoke ?

If we play that game you will run out wayyyyyyy before I do. It would be soooo one sided any decent ref would stop the argument. Pound shop battery against Duracell.

I'll match your Bournemouth, Watford Burnley Palace and until recently Stoke (Although as getting back up is so easy surely Stoke will do it this season) with Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Reading and Cardiff. Then I'll raise you Derby, Blackburn, Fulham, Birmingham, Forest, QPR, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby and Leeds.

How much juice have you got left?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

If we play that game you will run out wayyyyyyy before I do. It would be soooo one sided any decent ref would stop the argument. Pound shop battery against Duracell.

I'll match your Bournemouth, Watford Burnley Palace and until recently Stoke (Although as getting back up is so easy surely Stoke will do it this season) with Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Reading and Cardiff. Then I'll raise you Derby, Blackburn, Fulham, Birmingham, Forest, QPR, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby and Leeds.

How much juice have you got left?

Have Stoke been down 3 seasons then ?

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Don't think so. But remember there's no credit to the owners for returning even in the first season.

Back to that list......

Image result for cheap battery v duracell

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Don't think so. But remember there's no credit to the owners for returning even in the first season.

Back to that list......

Image result for cheap battery v duracell

👍👍👍

26 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

No, but they are second from bottom and have 8 points from 13 games, so a second season down there beckons, at best.

15 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

No, but they are second from bottom and have 8 points from 13 games, so a second season down there beckons, at best.

This is their second season down there.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

This is their second season down there.

Correct , cheers Benny,in that case they're even closer to a third season.

Ultimately it’s all about how much ambition you have for the club

if you want a top of championship/bottom 6 premier league club stick with Delia 

Personally I would like to see the club like Leicester up there and challenging and that won’t happen under the current ownership model 

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Ah, so now we can add the owners of Blackpool, Coventry, Bolton, Charlton, Middlesbrough, Wigan, Swansea among others who have yet to take advantage of being a relegated club. 

Gonna need double Duracell before long...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Personally I would like to see the club like Leicester up there and challenging and that won’t happen under the current ownership model 

This reminds me of that other Jacamo who said "no one has more ambition than me...."

1 hour ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

I am more than happy to stick with current ownership, whats more i will give the new management regime a few seasons too. Who knows where we,and Leicester for that matter, will be by then. 

17 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Bump

But our owners continually get relegated. I come back to the point that Chase did nine straight years in the top flight; Watling did not get relegated even once; and Sir Arthur won the League Cup. Ipswich fans are correct when they ask where are the major trophies? Delia has only managed one cup quarter final in nearly a quarter of a century.

I guess what this all boils down to is our definitions of success, whether we are want to see the club over achieve or whether we're just happy with our lot.  What side of that fence you sit on probably dictates whether you see 4 promotions and 3 relegations (just talking PL here) in 15 years as success or a consistent failure to capitalise on the chance to have a decent run as a PL club. 

As someone who wants to see the club over achieve and take the next step (relative safety in the PL/perhaps a decent cup run), I can't see us ever doing that under Delia and I worry that this season, with the emergence of 4 real potentially PL class players from the youth, their potential loss after a relegation would see us wreck our best chance of taking that next step.

I'll add that the alternative to Delia doesn't need to be someone with billions in their back pocket, I'd have felt a bit more at ease had we gone out and spent £20-30m in the pre season. We've been caught out before and then either bought too late in January (imagine if we'd bought Dean Ashton in the pre season) or panic bought (Naismith). The one time I felt we'd had a decent PL pre season was under Lambert.

Edited by BarclayWazza

The idea that some of us lack ambition or are "just happy with our lot" is both arrogant and ignorant. Our club is over achieving. Not just because of the wealth of our owners. We are over achieving in the pool of all comparable clubs including those with massively wealthy owners.

Of course a few are over achieving further than us. But that's not the norm or anything like the norm.

If we ditched what we have in favour of a wealthy owner there's probably a one in five chance we could have what we have now. Let alone better. Why take the risk at those odds?

• Like 1