Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Steve Morison Retires.

Agreed, he seemed to attract an unwarranted amount of criticism from fans which I could never understand.

I thought he was well disrespected in his time at the club. He was better than many gave him credit for and he did have to compete with crowd favourite Grant Holt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Agreed, he seemed to attract an unwarranted amount of criticism from fans which I could never understand.

I remember an incident against Fulham at CR, when a "fan", while Steve was running near the sideline, yelled to to him "Steve, you're ****e!", to what he responded by looking back and making a "sod off" kind of gesture...  I thought he did not deserve it. I remember him as a not particularly skilled but hard-working player. Best of luck to him.

• Like 1

I liked ol Mozza. But his body language was often rather terrible. Continually slouched over, moaning a heck of a lot! It's probably that which didn't endear him to some fans.

Scored that great volley at the Barclay end once though (can't remember who that was against). Always remember that and his equaliser against Arsenal.

Anyway, now he's retired I expect he'll have more time to enjoy his greyhounds.

His personality and body language did him no favours but he actually did well in his time here. Problem is he never looked like he was giving 100%, and that's why people criticized him.

I remember in a interview after his late equaliser against Arsenal, he made some comment along the lines of "why don't you phone up canary call about that?" 

It was quite amusing. He did get an awful lot of stick despite putting in some very good performances for us. 

He can be proud of the career that's he had considering he was in the Conference for 5 years and didn't get a move back to the league until he was 26. To go on to score 10 in the Premier League, achieve a couple of promotions from League One to the Championship, and presumably become a bit of a Millwall legend with 80+ goals for them, not bad going at all.

I'm surprised that Simeon Jackson didn't go on to have a better career than he did have though. He has scored 21 goals since leaving us in 2013, despite playing in League One, League Two and the SPL for most of that 6 years. 

I'd have expected him to be a 15+ a year striker in League One or a decent Championship rotation player / bench player, and I think that shows how good Paul Lambert was at getting absolutely everything he could out of mediocre players (That's why he's well suited to Ipswich and their penny pinching chairman!).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'd have expected him to be a 15+ a year striker in League One or a decent Championship rotation player / bench player, and I think that shows how good Paul Lambert was at getting absolutely everything he could out of mediocre players (That's why he's well suited to Ipswich and their penny pinching chairman!).

Lambert or Culverhouse though?

43 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Lambert or Culverhouse though?

With Ipswich being top of the league right now and Culverhouse being sacked for bullying teenagers, I'm happy to direct the credit to Lambert. 

Being a scummer is better than being a bully. There was no unfair dismissal claim from what I can recall. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Hardly enough to convict him in a court of law. If Lambert has a magic touch, it seemed to desert him at Villa and Wolves. Let’s see how they do if they reach the Championship again.

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Hardly enough to convict him in a court of law. If Lambert has a magic touch, it seemed to desert him at Villa and Wolves. Let’s see how they do if they reach the Championship again.

Lambert did a good job at Aston Villa considering he had to cut the budget each season in a league where everybody else was spending, and his win percentage of 42.4% at Wolves puts him about equal to Daniel Farke's win percentage at Norwich (and better than both Alex Neil's and Nigel Worthington's at Norwich).

He's a good manager, under rated in fact. Ipswich are lucky to have him and I wish they didn't because he'll take them back up

That win percentage at Wolves and the fact that Ipswich are unbeaten in 11 league games this season suggests to me that he doesn't need Ian Culverhouse at all. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Add to that Stoke and Blackburn.

• Like 1

On 18/10/2019 at 12:24, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm surprised that Simeon Jackson didn't go on to have a better career than he did have though. He has scored 21 goals since leaving us in 2013, despite playing in League One, League Two and the SPL for most of that 6 years. 

I'd have expected him to be a 15+ a year striker in League One or a decent Championship rotation player / bench player

I'm not, as he really wasn't a very good striker, his pace was decent (although he spent too much time on the flanks instead of centrally despite being a striker), but his finishing was often poor and aside from that 1 purple patch in the champs promotion season, he was pretty rubbish for the rest of his time with us.

He managed just 4 in the first 12 games of that season (with 2 of those against Bristol), then went a further TWENTY games without a goal, then managed to find "Billy's Boots" for the final 8 games and then promptly lost them and never found them again.

It was a miserable return of 3 league goals in 22 games the season after in the Prem, and an even more miserable 1 league goal in 13 games the season after that, at which point we finally got rid of him, and he went on to dire season after dire season after that.

One of those players that ran around a lot, apparently 'bringing others into the game', yet in fact, was just a poor striker who you'd more likely bet on to miss than finish most of the time. To think we kept him and signed players like Kei Kamara over keeping Chris Martin still baffles me to this day tbh.

The ONLY time he was ever a 15+ goal striker was at Gillingham, and that says it all really. Nice enough chap apparently, but NEVER a premier league striker, and questionable if he was even Champs level most of the time...

16 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I'm not, as he really wasn't a very good striker, his pace was decent (although he spent too much time on the flanks instead of centrally despite being a striker), but his finishing was often poor and aside from that 1 purple patch in the champs promotion season, he was pretty rubbish for the rest of his time with us.

He managed just 4 in the first 12 games of that season (with 2 of those against Bristol), then went a further TWENTY games without a goal, then managed to find "Billy's Boots" for the final 8 games and then promptly lost them and never found them again.

It was a miserable return of 3 league goals in 22 games the season after in the Prem, and an even more miserable 1 league goal in 13 games the season after that, at which point we finally got rid of him, and he went on to dire season after dire season after that.

One of those players that ran around a lot, apparently 'bringing others into the game', yet in fact, was just a poor striker who you'd more likely bet on to miss than finish most of the time. To think we kept him and signed players like Kei Kamara over keeping Chris Martin still baffles me to this day tbh.

The ONLY time he was ever a 15+ goal striker was at Gillingham, and that says it all really. Nice enough chap apparently, but NEVER a premier league striker, and questionable if he was even Champs level most of the time...

You'd expect a player who scored 3 goals in 22 in the Premier League (mostly sub appearances) to score more than 21 in 6 years in lower leagues, so I can agree with most of what you say whilst still being surprised that he hasn't done better in his career post-Norwich.

I mean.... that's still 3 times more goals than RvW or Elmander, and we've just scored 1 goal in 5. 

A very effective targetman on his day but always seemed like he had a chip on his shoulder while with us and looked like he gave up to easily at times which didn't help his cause. 

SM is now Assistant Coach to Northampton U18's having just qualified as a Eufa Pro Coach.

On 18/10/2019 at 23:24, BobLoz3 said:

Scored that great volley at the Barclay end once though (can't remember who that was against). 

I think that might have been against Blackburn, a 3-3 draw, Holty got a late penalty.