Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

This Baby is Biiiiggggggggggggg!!!

First turbines I saw as a young child were those near Yarmouth at Blood Hill (since replaced) which would have been the late 90s. According to google those things were rated at 225kW compared to the one you just linked which is 12,000kW. Just one of those Haliade-X is worth over 50 of those little things!

I hope the UK continues to embrace offshore wind and look forward to seeing how much a % of our electricity comes from it in the future.

3 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

https://www.rechargenews.com/wind/1864223/worlds-biggest-wind-turbine-ready-to-run

Offshore wind is already miles cheaper than new nuclear power. With economies of scale coming from mega machines like this baby

it will very, very soon be cheaper than new gas power stations. 

You have made a very compelling argument for wind power in some of your posts, TL. Combined with greater efficiencies in battery storage, I think you could be onto a winner

• Like 1

On 17/10/2019 at 19:10, Rock The Boat said:

You have made a very compelling argument for wind power in some of your posts, TL. Combined with greater efficiencies in battery storage, I think you could be onto a winner

Thanks RTB - glad that we can agree on something even if we're distinctly on opposite sides of the fence on the Brexit debate. 

AT the moment we have about 25% of wind turbines needed to power the UK. More offshore and less onshore would maybe reduce the amount needed so it isn't going to take too much to fulfill this.

I don't know how much each turbine averages out cost wise but certainly nuclear power stations cost so much with the new Hinckley Point estimated at £22 Billion. That works out at just at 900K per turbine needed.