Sign in to follow this  
Rhino1

Toddy in training

Looking at the latest city utube on today’s training session, Todd Cantwell looks like Messi - hopefully he bottles some of it for Saturday!! Good to see Krul, Vrancic and Tettey all in full training. What with Pukki scoring two, I feel the wind changing !!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes, a great close up of the quality that Todd possesses, he really does shine in that vid. Bit of a concern seeing Jamal limp at the end, but great to see the numbers starting to return, I reckon we could see the likes of Onel and Mario amongst the subs for Saturday. Feeling very optimistic for our trip to Bournemouth now.

Btw - that acute angled Marco Van Basten style volley from Emi was something to behold, he should’ve saved that one for the Vitality! But I feel his first Premier League goal is not far away now.

• Like 1

Always amazing to see the skills in that sort of close up footage of training. Midfield options seem to be returning.

The obvious worry there is that there is not a single centre back involved in that training session apart from Fawemo and even Amadou is not involved in that session!

With Todd, what I see is raw talent - but as yet still a bit unharnessed.  Too many goals against this season so far have come from midfielders trying to be too clever/cute on the ball and simply passing the ball straight to the opposition, Todd - and the others of course - have to control themselves a little bit more.  Not to the extent of squashing the talent, but just showing a bit more composure....like they did last season.  Last season Todd was more careful with the ball, wary of making mistakes....this season he has been full of confidence and trying every trick in the book....he just needs to find the right balance.

Edited by lake district canary

20 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Always amazing to see the skills in that sort of close up footage of training. Midfield options seem to be returning.

The obvious worry there is that there is not a single centre back involved in that training session apart from Fawemo and even Amadou is not involved in that session!

That's what I thought after I'd watched it!

Eeeek... I'm sure they're just being rested and will be available for Saturday. If not... Tettey at CB??! 😂

39 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

With Todd, what I see is raw talent - but as yet still a bit unharnessed.  Too many goals against this season so far have come from midfielders trying to be too clever/cute on the ball and simply passing the ball straight to the opposition, Todd - and the others of course - have to control themselves a little bit more.  Not to the extent of squashing the talent, but just showing a bit more composure....like they did last season.  Last season Todd was more careful with the ball, wary of making mistakes....this season he has been full of confidence and trying every trick in the book....he just needs to find the right balance.

Changing with the wind again ? Not long ago you were telling us we keep the ball better than Man City ?. Cantwell made mistakes in 1 game and I think you might find the players are better in the EPL than the Championship? 

12 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Changing with the wind again ? Not long ago you were telling us we keep the ball better than Man City ?. Cantwell made mistakes in 1 game and I think you might find the players are better in the EPL than the Championship? 

I get what you're saying re Lakey's change of direction, but we're football fans and it is our right to be completely fickle! 😂😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

I get what you're saying re Lakey's change of direction, but we're football fans and it is our right to be completely fickle! 😂😉

Lol it is. 

Todd's ball retention stats are right up near the top, and his distance travelled is usually at the top.

Admittedly, he gave the ball away twice in the first 15 mins at Palace, but hardly at all vs Villa.

People see what they want to see but the challenge atm is to get the ball to Todd early and in the right positions. We frustratingly failed to do this at Burnley and Palace but hopefully this will improve at Bournemouth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

Nope, he has made mistakes in every game. Last season, he was so careful not to make mistakes, this season he has made a few - two that I can think of leading to goals. 

And for the last time, I did not say that we keep the ball better than Man City, only that to keep the ball better than them would be the only way to stop them, which isn't the same thing. 

30 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Nope, he has made mistakes in every game. Last season, he was so careful not to make mistakes, this season he has made a few - two that I can think of leading to goals. 

And for the last time, I did not say that we keep the ball better than Man City, only that to keep the ball better than them would be the only way to stop them, which isn't the same thing. 

RE: your first point here Lakey, whilst I agree, maybe it's more a case of being given that creative licence more this season (hopefully the case, rather than him becoming complacent - Not that I am suggesting that's your angle), to see what the overall positive/negative balance could be? He's looking a different player in a few ways, it wouldn't surprise me.

33 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Players who try to create will give the ball away more than others. It is the risk of trying to make things happen. There were a few that were certainly avoidable in recent games but if we want him to play in a way where he will provide chances we also have to be prepared for him to lose the ball when doing so. 

• Like 3

These insights into training are great and I think should go someway to getting fans to think before they scream "WHY IS CANTWELL PLAYING HE'S RUBBISH" (Last season predominantly). If someone trains like him every day of the week how can Farke not play him? Obviously he's proven himself as have others but I remember the amount of stick Vrancic got in his first season, particularly the first half.

Good to see these 4 back and hopefully available.

We know Klose and Zimmermann are out, who knows if Godfrey has had enough time to recover from his hernia op and whether Hanley's groin problem is still keeping him out.  Defence is still a worry.

"Never has 3 words in a thread title felt so depressing" 

Surely "gujons replace scampi" must come pretty close? 🤔

Apples

Edited by Mr Apples
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Never has 3 words in a thread title felt so depressing 

It's almost as though the initials letters of the three words are describing someone.................

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Never has 3 words in a thread title felt so depressing 

What actually is your problem? Serious question?

Hating on him from the start, now he's proved you wrong, hating on him for absolutely zero reason.

You clearly know nothing, you just have prejudices. You must be a very bitter person.

I like to attempt to give each a fair crack, really I do, but you're a bell, just for the sake of being one.