Sign in to follow this  
Creative Midfielder

What on earth does - Error code: 2F173/O - mean....

The error probably means you tried to access the brexit thread(complete guess btw it could be anything) and threads are disappearing as people don't approve of them and some have inapprioate language used

1 hour ago, KiwiScot said:

The error probably means you tried to access the brexit thread(complete guess btw it could be anything) and threads are disappearing as people don't approve of them and some have inapprioate language used

It wasn't that thread but I imagine you are on the right track - still baffled as to why the site can't respond in English rather than meaningless error codes!!

Where do Archant get their software developers from???

18 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

It wasn't that thread but I imagine you are on the right track - still baffled as to why the site can't respond in English rather than meaningless error codes!!

The same place as everywhere else. This is normal.

15 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

The same place as everywhere else. This is normal.

You have got to be kidding, it certainly isn't normal for any halfway decent software team - this is rank amateurism.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

You have got to be kidding, it certainly isn't normal for any halfway decent software team - this is rank amateurism.

Have a play with Linux, or try and configure some new hardware on a PC. Then tell me it’s not normal.

13 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Have a play with Linux, or try and configure some new hardware on a PC. Then tell me it’s not normal.

It might be normal in those circumstances but we're talking about web site that has supposedly been developed by 'professionals' whose only job is to interact in a pretty simple manner with the public - spitting out rubbish like that is incredibly poor design/execution/testing or perhaps all three!

12 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

It might be normal in those circumstances but we're talking about web site that has supposedly been developed by 'professionals' whose only job is to interact in a pretty simple manner with the public - spitting out rubbish like that is incredibly poor design/execution/testing or perhaps all three!

Not really. I agree it could be better, but at least the error is handled.

Take it up with invision, I imagine poor old Archant just install and configure the software...

16 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

.......and more generally, why are threads disappearing?

CM, I could answer that question (in quite some detail...) but then this thread would also disappear!😎

7 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

CM, I could answer that question (in quite some detail...) but then this thread would also disappear!😎

Go on, be a devil, press those buttons,  it's your duty as a free thinking individual. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I doubt they do, this is an off the shelf package which will have a local admin. They may have a web developer but I'd be amazed if they had a software dev.

I've  seen this exact forum setup  used for other purposes,  different colours,  but exact same layout and function. So I reckon it's an off the shelf product, that is customised to suit its application. 

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

I've  seen this exact forum setup  used for other purposes,  different colours,  but exact same layout and function. So I reckon it's an off the shelf product, that is customised to suit its application. 

WACCOE for one, although their swearing filter appears to be broken.

17 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Exactly... check for error code in a table and then send appropriate meaningful message to user, such as 'thread no longer exists'.  

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

WACCOE for one, although their swearing filter appears to be broken.

Wouldn't be much content on WACCOE if the disallowed swearing. Or much conversation in Yorkshire,for that matter.

14 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Exactly... check for error code in a table and then send appropriate meaningful message to user, such as 'thread no longer exists'.  

As in......"No Deal Brexit no longer exists".

"Exactly... check for error code in a table and then send appropriate meaningful message to user, such as 'thread no longer exists'"

Or, "We'd really like to fix it but it's everybody elses fault and despite being told what the correct solution is we're going to do the opposite regardless"? 🤔🤪

Apples

On 14/10/2019 at 12:22, wcorkcanary said:

Just as a matter of interest, approximately how much would it cost?

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Just as a matter of interest, approximately how much would it cost?

Absolutely no idea Badgo. Sorry. Just noticed a couple of  forums look exactly the same, just not pink. I'm not a teccy,  I'm a landscape  gardener. 

58 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Absolutely no idea Badgo. Sorry. Just noticed a couple of  forums look exactly the same, just not pink. I'm not a teccy,  I'm a landscape  gardener. 

Landscape gardening is pretty "teccy" to me!

33 minutes ago, Badger said:

Landscape gardening is pretty "teccy" to me!

Jeez, hate be nosey but what do you do that is less teccy  than landscaping? No need to reply if you feel that your privacy is invaded.

4 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Jeez, hate be nosey but what do you do that is less teccy  than landscaping? No need to reply if you feel that your privacy is invaded.

Gardening always seems pretty complicated to me (I don't do it if possible) - I always get things wrong. How do you tell where to prune something or when is the right time to plant something (I know not midwinter). What plant goes in what soil - what soil I have for goodness sake? Which plants need plenty of water and which must be watered sparingly; which need sun or shade. Is this tree normal or sick - there are a million questions that I don't know the answer to - it all seems very technical to me.

And that's before I even start to get to grips with the equipment that I have seen people use...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Badger said:

Gardening always seems pretty complicated to me (I don't do it if possible) - I always get things wrong. How do you tell where to prune something or when is the right time to plant something (I know not midwinter). What plant goes in what soil - what soil I have for goodness sake? Which plants need plenty of water and which must be watered sparingly; which need sun or shade. Is this tree normal or sick - there are a million questions that I don't know the answer to - it all seems very technical to me.

And that's before I even start to get to grips with the equipment that I have seen people use...

its easy Badger. Try this one for starters. He has produced loads of books covering a wide range of topics.Easy to follow and read and also good for reference.

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 23.49.22.png

Edited by Van wink

12 minutes ago, Van wink said:

its easy Badger. Try this one for starters. He has produced loads of books covering a wide range of topics.Easy to follow and read and also good for reference.

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 23.49.22.png

See what I mean - gardens have a user's manual! Just like tech!

• Haha 3