Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Webbers Interview

It's chicken and egg.  Against Man City, there was a collective backing as we all knew we were up against it.  Against Villa, there was an assumption (wrongly, given the £150m they've spent in the summer), that it was the same Villa that we took 6 points off last season, so there was some expectation that we'd roll them over again.  As it turned out, they outplayed us, and as mentioned, the only increase in backing came when we were denied a penalty and after McGovern's penalty save.  It then kinda petered out when it became obvious that we were never going to get back in the game (after the 3rd and 4th goals).  To be honest, I didn't hear any real discontent, just disappointment, with some acknowledgement/recognition that we had 6 or 7 first choice players missing.

2 hours ago, Woodman said:

It's chicken and egg.  Against Man City, there was a collective backing as we all knew we were up against it.  Against Villa, there was an assumption (wrongly, given the £150m they've spent in the summer), that it was the same Villa that we took 6 points off last season, so there was some expectation that we'd roll them over again.  As it turned out, they outplayed us, and as mentioned, the only increase in backing came when we were denied a penalty and after McGovern's penalty save.  It then kinda petered out when it became obvious that we were never going to get back in the game (after the 3rd and 4th goals).  To be honest, I didn't hear any real discontent, just disappointment, with some acknowledgement/recognition that we had 6 or 7 first choice players missing.

I really don't think there was any expectation we'd roll them over. I think there was an expectation that this was a game we had a chance of winning and seeing them outplay is ruined that.

10 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Says more about you than about SW, but whatever turns you on, i suppose.

Unlike you Taigo who no doubt gets wood from just looking at Mary Lou McDonald 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Unlike you Taigo who no doubt gets wood from just looking at Mary Lou McDonald 

Damn, got me there, Jobbo. She's been my secret crush since Olive from ' On the Buses' retired.

16 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

As I tried to write on my original post of this interview

Webber talks a lot of sense

Webber does talk some sense. Webber is also not adverse to coming out with stuff to big himself up (or pre-emptively try to cover up shortcomings) and suit his own agenda and at present is probably well aware that the mood amongst fans has moved a little south of anywhere it has been for the last year or so. Clear intent in this interview to try to head off any moaning about the squad/board or the budget/model before it starts by sewing the seed that having such thoughts is the sign of a bad supporter, a fairly typical line from the "cult" at Carrow Road these days whereby if you doubt or question anything the club does you are some kind of heretic.

We got stuffed 5-1 by a relegation rival. It was obvious from about 5 minutes in to that game that we were not "at it." Fans pick up on that and it will effect the atmosphere whether you like it or not. We lost that game because we got continually dispossessed in midfield, too many players had a bad game and we once again defended incredibly badly. That is not the fault of the fans. Similarly we beat Man City because the players were fully committed, disciplined, cut out the mistakes, had a bit of luck and played really well. I don't really think we can claim credit for that victory either!

I think it's pretty fair for supporters who actually support to state that they are superior to supporters who do not. I've posted on here before that if you did a survey of fans 95% would like to see a better atmosphere at games, yet only about 5% put themselves on the line and really go for it at games.

Supporting the team really isn't rocket science- it's the easiest thing in the world. If you turn up at a game claiming to be a supporter yet can't be bothered to actually support, you fully deserve Webber's pointed comments.

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Webber does talk some sense. Webber is also not adverse to coming out with stuff to big himself up (or pre-emptively try to cover up shortcomings) and suit his own agenda and at present is probably well aware that the mood amongst fans has moved a little south of anywhere it has been for the last year or so. Clear intent in this interview to try to head off any moaning about the squad/board or the budget/model before it starts by sewing the seed that having such thoughts is the sign of a bad supporter, a fairly typical line from the "cult" at Carrow Road these days whereby if you doubt or question anything the club does you are some kind of heretic.

We got stuffed 5-1 by a relegation rival. It was obvious from about 5 minutes in to that game that we were not "at it." Fans pick up on that and it will effect the atmosphere whether you like it or not. We lost that game because we got continually dispossessed in midfield, too many players had a bad game and we once again defended incredibly badly. That is not the fault of the fans. Similarly we beat Man City because the players were fully committed, disciplined, cut out the mistakes, had a bit of luck and played really well. I don't really think we can claim credit for that victory either!

Nobody, Webber included, said it was the fault of the fans.

Strangely because we've just been promoted but I don't think Webber and Farke have that much good will in the bank. They used a lot of it up that first season and if you look back only just over 12 months many posters on here had lost faith with the pair of them. And in particular the style of play. Not just on here but also in the stadium "tippy tappy" was loudly booed.

When we were winning I often got the impression that the style was "put up with" rather than liked. So I'm not surprised if patience is wearing a bit thin already.

Before anyone jumps on me this is not a criticism of fans. Just an observation.

56 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Strangely because we've just been promoted but I don't think Webber and Farke have that much good will in the bank. They used a lot of it up that first season and if you look back only just over 12 months many posters on here had lost faith with the pair of them. And in particular the style of play. Not just on here but also in the stadium "tippy tappy" was loudly booed.

When we were winning I often got the impression that the style was "put up with" rather than liked. So I'm not surprised if patience is wearing a bit thin already.

Before anyone jumps on me this is not a criticism of fans. Just an observation.

I think Farke has a lot of good will in the bank. I genuinely can't see fans calling for his head this season at all even if we go down although I must confess I have found his failure to get to grips with the defence/marking at times a little bit frustrating. But I just accept that is probably the one element of his performance as coach to date which could see improvement and the rest more than makes up for it. 

Webber probably does not have quite as much good will in the bank as he should have given the job he has done just because he says some things that get fans backs up at times but I think he sort of revels in that "I will tell it to you straight i'm not bothered about being popular" sort of role. I think this is about the third interview he's given where he's talked about punching or giving a fan a slap in some way shape or form which not many club officials would have got away with in the past but he does because of the success he's been part of. I think with him a fear of what we might end up with and where we might end up if he leaves is more the overriding emotion for fans.

Seems a bit rich to me having a go at the supporters after you spent nothing in the summer in order to prepare for the EPL. Such a strategy was doomed to failure and no amount of noise from the terraces is going to fill the financial hole that was not filled in order to be competitive at this level.

If you are getting outgunned by a club that was in L1 three years ago then the causes of our woes lie a little closer to home, Mr Webber!

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail, unless of course you are preparing for the Championship in August 2020 in which case it is no failure at all.

Take your pick!

15 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Seems a bit rich to me having a go at the supporters after you spent nothing in the summer in order to prepare for the EPL. Such a strategy was doomed to failure and no amount of noise from the terraces is going to fill the financial hole that was not filled in order to be competitive at this level.

If you are getting outgunned by a club that was in L1 three years ago then the causes of our woes lie a little closer to home, Mr Webber!

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail, unless of course you are preparing for the Championship in August 2020 in which case it is no failure at all.

Take your pick!

Thank you Vince for trying to turn the financial and structural consolidation  of our club into something  negative  ....and failing miserably.  What bit of ' this is an unfinished  project ' are you too dimwitted  to understand. 

Get the feckoudda here. 

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

Nobody, Webber included, said it was the fault of the fans.

This thread is worth it simply to witness Hogstar's contributions.

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Thank you Vince for trying to turn the financial and structural consolidation  of our club into something  negative  ....and failing miserably.  What bit of ' this is an unfinished  project ' are you too dimwitted  to understand. 

Get the feckoudda here. 

How many more goes do the owners want?

They are now heading for a fourth EPL relegation.

They are the ones who have failed spectacularly.

They have had 23 years to finish their project. There is a limit to how many times you can reinvent the club without spending any money.

They are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

6 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

I am scraping the bottom of the barrel

Sorted that for you . You're  welcome. Byeee 

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I think Farke has a lot of good will in the bank. I genuinely can't see fans calling for his head this season at all even if we go down although I must confess I have found his failure to get to grips with the defence/marking at times a little bit frustrating. But I just accept that is probably the one element of his performance as coach to date which could see improvement and the rest more than makes up for it. 

Webber probably does not have quite as much good will in the bank as he should have given the job he has done just because he says some things that get fans backs up at times but I think he sort of revels in that "I will tell it to you straight i'm not bothered about being popular" sort of role. I think this is about the third interview he's given where he's talked about punching or giving a fan a slap in some way shape or form which not many club officials would have got away with in the past but he does because of the success he's been part of. I think with him a fear of what we might end up with and where we might end up if he leaves is more the overriding emotion for fans.

Personally I have lost patience...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bury Yellow said:

This thread is worth it simply to witness Hogstar's contributions.

As long as you enjoy yourself fella.

On 14/10/2019 at 09:49, Mello Yello said:

The Canary Support turned up in their droves.....unfortunately and to our onlooking embarrassment the team didn't turn up or turn it on.....which affected I suppose, our lack of vocal supporting support......We go again so roll on Saturday......and for some "ripe 'uns" that sit around me at the games.....Roll on deodorant.....

I just take what SW says with a pinch of salt......I (God Willing) will still be at Carra in 3 years......wonder if SW will be?.....

Kind of where I'm at tbh.

You can't deny SW has done a fantastic job with hopefully much more to come. I like that he's straight talking and says it as it is, as long as you can accept it back because in the fickle world of football it most certainly will come back at some stage. 

Whilst he's clearly not blaming the fans for the Villa defeat he needs to be a little bit careful when criticising supporters because whilst some will take it on the chin, others who have seen a raft of promotions followed by swift relegation over the years may not.