Sign in to follow this  
canarycop

Akin Famewo

Never seen this lad play but by all counts is a highly rated prospect. DF blooded young uns in Godfrey, Aaron's and Lewis last season. Yes I know the PL is a massive step up but in our current predicament it is surely a chance to see what he has to offer. We will have the youngest back four, probably in PL history but if we can survive this season these guys could stick together for years. Is he ready though? Good enough for bench. Must be good enough for a game. Comments ?

What worries me a bit is that usually you’ve heard bits a pieces about a player before they come in but I can’t recall any comments from anyone who watches the younger sides about this player suggesting that he may break through. His loan spell at Grimsby seems to have been a mixed bag as well. It’s a heck of a step up. 

Not saying he can’t do it or writing him off but to go from the U23s straight to marking top premier league strikers week in week out. 

Sorry that should say suggesting he may be about to break through. As in pushing for a first team spot. 

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

What worries me a bit is that usually you’ve heard bits a pieces about a player before they come in but I can’t recall any comments from anyone who watches the younger sides about this player suggesting that he may break through. His loan spell at Grimsby seems to have been a mixed bag as well. It’s a heck of a step up. 

Not saying he can’t do it or writing him off but to go from the U23s straight to marking top premier league strikers week in week out. 

We hadn't heard massive amounts about Aarons or Lewis, until they were essentially involved, to be fair.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I thought it was Jones who was tipped to breakthrough, heard more about him. 

Yes there was a weird period last year where Jones was linked with a massive club and tipped to be the next big thing and we then sent him on loan to some non league side a few weeks later! A loan which was subsequently cut short for unspecified reasons. 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

We hadn't heard massive amounts about Aarons or Lewis, until they were essentially involved, to be fair.

Yes although we had heard bits and pieces or at least I had anyway. If he plays then good luck to him, let’s hope he’s the next to kick on. 

11 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes there was a weird period last year where Jones was linked with a massive club and tipped to be the next big thing and we then sent him on loan to some non league side a few weeks later! A loan which was subsequently cut short for unspecified reasons. 

Our under 18 and under 23 teams have performed poorly in general over the last 18 months, with no signs that they are improving, despite the extra money spent on players in the summer. 

Personally I feel as though Famewo probably isn't ready. We would have likely seen him earlier if so, also with perhaps getting some game time in pre season.

His inclusion in the squad was likely born from necessity. In that we needed another proper CB on the bench but didn't have one.

I don't think we'll see him get game time just yet.

I think it would be suicidal to go into the Bournemouth game without a defensively minded midfielder. In my view it's a no-brainer that Famewo should play if Tettey or Trybull aren't available. What's to lose?

As mentioned he shouldn't be even on the bench if he's not good enough to be near the first team.

I think it’s fair to say that if Farke is preferring to play a half (if that) fit Godfrey on painkillers and Amadou at CB, he doesn’t think this lad is ready yet.

By playing Amadou at CB not only is that not his preferred position but we also lose his ability to play DM, which is greatly needed. Pretty much a lose-lose situation! 

If Amadou players as the holding midfielder shoring up the defence then I think it’ll be easier for a new young CB to settle into that team.

Lets be brutally honest apart from Klose are any of the other CB really good enough yet at this level? So why should we blood Famewo, he might just thrive alongside Godfrey with a solid midfield in front of him.

Klose has only played 10 PL games, in the season we were relegated. Surely the jury is still out as to whether he's PL quality. 

For me, a fit Zimmermann is more important to our survival this season, luckily! 

I always knew Aarons was good cos Football Manager told me he was.

Lewis less so.

How is Benny Ashley-Seal getting on these days?

49 minutes ago, king canary said:

Lewis less so.

I made a career out of Kris Renton on football manager...

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I made a career out of Kris Renton on football manager...

Ha. To be fair FM is quite good at picking out hot prospects. I don't follow the u23's but I knew about Cantwell, Aarons, Middleton and Ashley-Seal (who it turns out has made his first team debut for Wolves since leaving us so clearly not bad) based on the fact the game has pinpointed them as our better youth prospects.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Lewis less so.

Benny Ashley-Seal is at Wolves. He single handedly destroyed our U23s a couple of seasons ago. Think they sent him abroad on loan but he then got injured. I'm sure he's got all the talent but not sure he has all the other tools to make it.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Ha. To be fair FM is quite good at picking out hot prospects. I don't follow the u23's but I knew about Cantwell, Aarons, Middleton and Ashley-Seal (who it turns out has made his first team debut for Wolves since leaving us so clearly not bad) based on the fact the game has pinpointed them as our better youth prospects.

Yeah its certainly better now with much more research being done by contributors.

9 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

It's not so easy to watch the younger sides now.

Please don't tell me you have to pay a £50 membership to see them play ? 😎

12 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Our under 18 and under 23 teams have performed poorly in general over the last 18 months, with no signs that they are improving, despite the extra money spent on players in the summer. 

Fair to add that 10 of the U23's are out on loan including a few who are considered among the better prospects like Savvas Mourgos and Rocky Bushiri.

Other than Lewis and Aarons all of our kids to breakthrough in recent years have gone out on loan to mature before nailing a place in our team including both Murphy's, Godfrey and Cantwell.

Mourgas in particular impressing in the same league Cantwell did over in Holland, so poor performance doesn't mean there aren't one or two capable of a breakthrough. Especially when you see Category 2 academies churn out players like James Maddison, and we're playing against superior opposition to those academies. 

18 hours ago, sgncfc said:

The key players have been going out on loan and the 17/18 year olds we have signed are jumping straight to U23 level

• Like 1