Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Did we miss a trick here?

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/norwich-city/one-that-got-away-stuart-webber-not-signing-marco-burki-helped-to-daniel-farke-struggles-with-norwich-city-in-premier-league/

I found a reference to him back in May, but it seems odd that his name has resurfaced now, which makes me think there may have been something to it.

Apart from being very cheap, I can't find out anything useful about him. But with the benefit of hindsight ....?

Hmm yes with hindsight, but IMO decisions should be judged at the time they were made.

My memory is that during the transfer window, Zimbo was out for an op, but it was expected he'd be available a few weeks into the season.  It's a new injury which has put him out for such a long time now.  Ditto I don't think there were any injury concerns about Klose, maybe a niggle, but the injury that put him out for the season was out of the blue - although his injury record is bad over his time with us.  Godfrey & Hanley were fine.  And Amadou was brought in as someone who could play at CB in emergency.

So during the transfer window we had 3 fit CBs plus another due back soon, and Amadou as extra cover.  Should we have paid for an extra CB on top, given we have kept the budget extremely tight overall.  We wouldn't have paid for an upgrade so essentially we'd have been paying for someone with the expectation they'd sit on the bench all season.  The article mentions his transfer fee but of course the main cost is wages. 

So at the end of the day, I can understand why Webber approached it as he did - it's one of those calls you have to make when you are keeping spending tight and sometimes they go against you.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2019 at 11:36, It's Character Forming said:

Hmm yes with hindsight, but IMO decisions should be judged at the time they were made.

My memory is that during the transfer window, Zimbo was out for an op, but it was expected he'd be available a few weeks into the season.  It's a new injury which has put him out for such a long time now.  Ditto I don't think there were any injury concerns about Klose, maybe a niggle, but the injury that put him out for the season was out of the blue - although his injury record is bad over his time with us.  Godfrey & Hanley were fine.  And Amadou was brought in as someone who could play at CB in emergency.

So during the transfer window we had 3 fit CBs plus another due back soon, and Amadou as extra cover.  Should we have paid for an extra CB on top, given we have kept the budget extremely tight overall.  We wouldn't have paid for an upgrade so essentially we'd have been paying for someone with the expectation they'd sit on the bench all season.  The article mentions his transfer fee but of course the main cost is wages. 

So at the end of the day, I can understand why Webber approached it as he did - it's one of those calls you have to make when you are keeping spending tight and sometimes they go against you.

Agreed - add to that this chap is 26, has (according to Wikipedia) only ever played in Switzerland and Belgium, not got an international cap - I’m not sure he’d have been our saviour. I’d guess we were looking at him as he seems to be able to play left back as well, so would give us additional cover there and in the middle, but only ever really as a squad player.

As Icf says, not sure I can grumble too much about us not bringing in a fifth choice centre back when we had Amadou to fill that role “in an emergency”.

Transfermarkt.co.uk also suggests he is currently out with “adductor problems - return unknown”....