Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Alex Neil

Preston sitting in lofty third. Have to say I thought as he put more of a stamp on the team with his own signings they may struggle but theyve purchased pretty well recently and he seems to be doing a great job.

Obviously doesnt mean his sacking here was wrong but I always quite liked him and he always speaks positively about us (we were the ones who took a punt on him to be fair) so I'm pleased to see him doing well.

• Like 8

Agree 100% Hoggo, possibly too much ,too soon for Alex ,, he seems like a smart cookie and his enthusiasm and drive can't be doubted, wish him the best, except v us.

• Like 1

Wish him and Preston all the best, really liked him during his time here and that promotion season was a lot of good fun and we played entertaining football. 

• Like 3

I think he’s said he learned a lot while he was with us. Part of that is probably about player recruitment, although he isn’t likely to have even the sort of resources we had now he’s at Preston so he can’t **** money on another Naismith. His skills always seemed to be making a team greater than the sum of its parts. 

Possibly also that you don’t change wholesale how you play in the back of one defeat, but maybe history hasn’t repeated itself there.

• Like 1

Give the man a tight budget and he excels as he did at Norwich and now Preston . Obviously made awful signings when given money at Norwich but next time round at a biggish club will do well .

He also had some struggles with them last season and turned it around, suggesting he's learnt about dealing with adversity a bit more since his time with us.

I wonder if he's a bit less thin-skinned with the media too.

• Like 1

Decent enough manager just not a great fit here, imo, but certain clubs fit certain managers, Preston is a good fit for him, good luck to him and Preston, great historical club with decent supporters, wouldn’t mind them promoted to be honest.

Alex Neil once he was at Preston a while said something along the lines of it was good to be working with such a young, hungry group of players. So while he is able to carve a team to his style at Preston with a more limited budget and I'd imagine he is learning more himself. It remains to be seen how he handles a Premier league squad full of the usual highly paid and expectant players.

His stock with City fans went up last season just for not being Paul Lambert. He conducted himself impeccably with NCFC just after Lambertgate in contrast to events the week before, and will always be well thought of here.

• Like 1

Think its important to remember he is still a young manager (in football terms) at 38 his still not much older than the players he is managing, personally i think he will only get better with experience, and will manage in the premier league again.

• Like 2

Good on wee Alex. Coming back from 0-2 down to win 3-2 and second in the Championship....