Sign in to follow this  
StaffordCanary

Raggett

Why oh why haven't we stopped Raggetts' loan spell at Portsmouth and brought him back. I've been reading about how well he's played in his previous games. I think he would be good for us. At least he could be a short term answer and also give him the experience he needs. 

And if he's not good enough (well from Portsmouth to Premier League is a massive step upwards and would be asking an awful lot of him) then why have we kept him?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

And if he's not good enough (well from Portsmouth to Premier League is a massive step upwards and would be asking an awful lot of him) then why have we kept him?

As I understand it.....Just in case.....

2 minutes ago, StaffordCanary said:

I would say this is a 'Just in case situation'. I think he could be a big help.

I totally concur.....we put faith in our young fullbacks......If he can't make the step up, then back out on loan....

2 hours ago, StaffordCanary said:

Why oh why haven't we stopped Raggetts' loan spell at Portsmouth and brought him back.

Tiger is correct.........

"Players on a season-long loan can be recalled by parent clubs in the January transfer window but only if the two clubs have agreed a recall clause in advance."

• Like 1

He can't go into our first team squad even if he is recalled. If he was good enough he'd be here

Then is there any point holding on to him? Are we expecting him to be like Neo from The Matrix - quite suddenly and unexpectedly becoming a super premier league defender?

No, but with a very good League One season under his belt he will either get a chance or we'll get some money for him.

It's notable though that Chelsea loanees from the Championship have stepped up to the PL this season - notable in the sense that all our loans go to League One rather than the Championship at the moment.

Was he really outsted due to one mistake in a preseason friendly or was there some other reason? 

It was one of the most ridiculous own goals I've ever seen and looked almost deliberate. 

18 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Was he really outsted due to one mistake in a preseason friendly or was there some other reason? 

It was one of the most ridiculous own goals I've ever seen and looked almost deliberate. 

He just fundamentally looks ill-suited to our system. Similarly to Remi Matthews he just doesn't look comfortable with the ball at his feet. That own goal was just a very clear example of his wider issue.

Just now, king canary said:

He just fundamentally looks ill-suited to our system. Similarly to Remi Matthews he just doesn't look comfortable with the ball at his feet. That own goal was just a very clear example of his wider issue.

He was signed at the time when we weren't showing any signs of becoming a Premier League club. I think he was designed to be a squad defender if we're in the Championship, and that might still come to pass next season if we go down.

He clearly doesn't have the technical ability to be a PL defender, although if you'd have told me two years ago that Ryan Bennett would be where he is now, I'd have laughed in your face!

It's a funny old game, Saint.

Pretty sure Bethnal has made a good case that Raggett was a low risk signing that's probably made us money on loan-fees already. No-lose scenario, essentially.

43 minutes ago, king canary said:

Hanley doesn't look suited to our system yet we gave him a new 4 year deal last season for being a good cheerleader in the dressing room :classic_blink:

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Hanley doesn't look suited to our system yet we gave him a new 4 year deal last season for being a good cheerleader in the dressing room :classic_blink:

Hanley looks more suited to it than Raggatt ever did to be honest.

Hanley looked fine that first season. Was even runner-up for POTS. 

Since then he's never had a run of games so has been judged on odd games where he was making a comeback. I think a fit Grant Hanley is as good as we're likely to get as back up.

• Like 4

IMO, a fit Hanley would have done better job keeping Wesley under wraps than Amadou, probably Hanley against big target men and a.n. other against smaller Pukki types. The key is of course, Hanley being fit??

I have to admit all the Hanley bashing has led me to think he's awful purely from what I've read on here, but when I actually think back to a performance when he was utterly dreadful, I have nothing. 

It's funny how powerful the written can be even when it has no basis on reality. 

Edited by Chelm Canary
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

I have to admit all the Hanley bashing has led me to think he's awful purely from what I've read on here, but when I actually think back to a performance when he was utterly dreadful, I have nothing. 

It's funny how powerful the written can be even when it has no basis on reality. 

Against Portsmouth in the FA Cup he was awful.

2 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Against Portsmouth in the FA Cup he was awful.

That was a fairly harsh red card for me.  Very harsh to judge him on one 20 minute performance.  Can we have another example? Oh, and what about the last minute of a certain game v Ipswich, I'm sure it was him that chased down a loose ball and crossed it in for Klose to head in to preserve a 10 year record...

Yes, he's probably behind Godfrey and Klose for first choice CB, but certainly worthy of a squad place.

3 minutes ago, Woodman said:

That was a fairly harsh red card for me.  Very harsh to judge him on one 20 minute performance.  Can we have another example? Oh, and what about the last minute of a certain game v Ipswich, I'm sure it was him that chased down a loose ball and crossed it in for Klose to head in to preserve a 10 year record...

Yes, he's probably behind Godfrey and Klose for first choice CB, but certainly worthy of a squad place.

First half against Liverpool he was awful...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Will be in the squad next year when we are back in the championship 

If that means he can deliver another 91st minute cross to maintain our undefeated run against ip****e, then I'm all for it. 

That may be null and void because this season is far from over. 

2 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Will be in the squad next year when we are back in the championship 

I dont think he is good enough for us in  the champs either,   simply not good enough on the ball

I doubt we’d have lost 5-1 to Villa if Hanley was playing. He a better option at CB than Amadou purely as it would then allow us to play him at DM. Although from what I’ve seen, Hanley’s the better CB anyway. He’s also better than a half fit CB, whichever one it is as we’ve had several of those play this season.

Although it’s all irrelevant anyway if he remains injured.

Erm, Amadou was rated for being a great cdm as well as a defender. He's looked awful in defence, so lets hope he really does shine in midfield lol

4 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

Erm, Amadou was rated for being a great cdm as well as a defender. He's looked awful in defence, so lets hope he really does shine in midfield lol

He is a defensive midfielder by trade, so lets hope so.

But Trybull should be back soon and that's better than nothing...