Sign in to follow this  
Misery Guts

good riddance Dean

I was a big fan of Ashton''s while he was at the club and even wished him well when he went to West Ham (even though I thought he would have the decency to stay until the end of the season) .

It turns out all his comments about "wanting to pay Norwich back" and "owing us one" was a load of rubbish as he "jumped at the chance" to play premiership football again. He didn''t score for 10 games in a row and then took £400k off us (because he will obviously be struggling on those stingy premiership wages) .

So I''d just like to say that Dean won''t be missed by one Norwich fan and whether we''re losing 0-1 to torquay in the confrence in a few years time or back in the premiership , I''ll still be here and people like you Dean will be whoring yourself off to the highest bidder

OTBC !

My last vestige of sympathy for him has disappeared with this news. This should be part of the FA enquiry- players being paid for being disloyal is as much a cancer on the game as agents'' alleged bungs.

"I have come to a club where they will make the most of my ability"

So what''s wrong with that.  He speaks the truth.  I may only be a harrassed middle aged lady, who most of you probably think knows nothing about football, but what is he saying that''s not true?

He was brought up at Crewe to play FOOTBALL, ie, playing it to feet, crossing into the box

NOT pitch long hoofs to his head, expecting him to either score or nod it down to someone else.

We didn''t use him to his ability and he''s gone to a club which probably will.  I am no big fan of West Ham, but they do play passing football. 

Good luck Deano, I may be in the minority amongst Norwich fans, but I hope you have a long and successful career.  Under better management here you might have stayed longer.  All the best.

the question that really concerns me is should we allow contracts where players have a financial incentive to leave the club? Surely this makes no sense??

Why did we go though that farce of extending his contract, because Nigel felt we needed Dean for a promotion push.  Well we proved to Deano we couldn''t play to his strengths and were a poor team going nowhere.  Now he''s broken ranks and buggered off, all the others would go but noone will have them, because they know the club has no ambition.  Which is why we are so adept at atracting donkeys and older donkeys.  You can''t blame Dean for being able to get out. 

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]

"I have come to a club where they will make the most of my ability"

So what''s wrong with that.  He speaks the truth.  I may only be a harrassed middle aged lady, who most of you probably think knows nothing about football, but what is he saying that''s not true?

He was brought up at Crewe to play FOOTBALL, ie, playing it to feet, crossing into the box

NOT pitch long hoofs to his head, expecting him to either score or nod it down to someone else.

We didn''t use him to his ability and he''s gone to a club which probably will.  I am no big fan of West Ham, but they do play passing football. 

Good luck Deano, I may be in the minority amongst Norwich fans, but I hope you have a long and successful career.  Under better management here you might have stayed longer.  All the best.

[/quote]

I have no grudge with deano and was surprised how bad I felt seeing him in holding the west ham shirt monday night on the tele.

I hope he does well because Dean Ashton did not fail Norwich City, We failed him......

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]My last vestige of sympathy for him has disappeared with this news. This should be part of the FA enquiry- players being paid for being disloyal is as much a cancer on the game as agents'' alleged bungs.[/quote]

DISLOYAL eh Tumbleweed

We failed him mate.....

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]My last vestige of sympathy for him has disappeared with this news. This should be part of the FA enquiry- players being paid for being disloyal is as much a cancer on the game as agents'' alleged bungs.[/quote]

My thoughts entirely Tumbleweed.

Until I heard this news, I was very much of the "good luck, hope you make the big time, sorry that you were so frustrated at Norwich" mindset.  

My view has changed entirely to reflect comments like this.   The guy has left his cosy - obviously tightly managed -  setup at Crewe and realised that he CAN have all the sweets in the sweetshop - and boy is he going to get them.   If his agent managed to negotiate this sort of contract with Norwich, one can only wonder what he''s going to get from the Hammers!!!!!

I am not to bothered to see him go good buisness for someone who i dont think put it in every week the last dozen games he at times was awfull .Dont know if this had anything to do with him wanting away he did a lot of mouthing on how much he wanted to stay here i think he could at least stayed until the summer very disloyal in my opinion good riddance.To get 7million plus is very good buisness i also think there is not a lot of difference between him and harewood at west ham and harewood would be available for 2 million.I watched ashton very closely dont think his body language while at norwich was  that of someone who loved the club.Now i have heard he actually wrote of some of the money owed to him to keep the deal going has made my mind up.I really hope we get this kid jerome i think he will turn out to be a much better player than ashton and someone with real pace which is something we have been lacking.Failing that earnshaw would be a good deal lets hope he gets both and halford from colchester we can all hope.At least we will not have to endure anymore sat about is ashton going or not it was beginning to piss me off.Might sound like sour grapes but as i feel he was disloyal to us i hope he struggles to get in the hammers side. 

I do wish him well but I cannot even begin to see why we seem to owe him any sort of gratitude. And I certainly don''t think we failed him - sure we couldn''t provide the sort of back up and supply that he needs to play his sort of game but that also points out the limitations of his style of play. Why can''t he play effectively when the ball is played to his head (obviously not all the time but at least on occasions) if he is such an all round England prospect - I''ve certainly seen Shearer do it. Huckerby gets slagged off because he apparently doesn''t provide cover for our sometimes less than effective defence, but in the case of the ''golden one'' it is all the rest of the teams'' fault because we didn''t play to his strengths. I sat and witnessed first hand a plethora of chances when he has had the ball played through to his feet, only for him to sky it or hoist it wide, and have lost count of the amount of shots from 30 or 40 feet he took when there were other options (with a success rate of 0%). As I said, he is obviously going to take the option of Prem football and, despite his obvious self-centredness, I wish him well but I refuse to agree that he is a golden talent who soldiered through adversity despite being failed by our club and players. There have been many points this season when he has been as infuriating as the rest of them. And yes, I do think he will do well at West Ham but he certainly is not a legend at this club either in terms of attitude or performance. He has simply been waiting to see what bigger opportunities arose - and I think he still will be doing so.

These sorts of sweetners are in many football contracts - it has not affected us for a while as we have not sold many players recently for significant amounts of money - why else do you think the likes of Marcus Bent constantly move around??  Its part of a footballers over inflated pay - and whether its part of a bonus or built ino the weekly wage we would end up paying it one way or the other.

I fully agree with your comments Tom . I always thought D A was over rated and must congratulate NCFC on  *mugging* West Ham to the tune of 7.25m.

As for asking to leave and then having the brass-neck to pocket 400k ,well all I can say is if he had any decency at all he would have donated at least half of this to the canaries or to a charity . This might have eased the sour taste left in supporters mouths. I''ve no doubt he will score goals at West Ham but there again so would I ,even at my age, if the ball was laid on a plate for me ////.

good riddance DA      THE CANARIES WILL FLY AGAIN ///

to be honest he was a brilliant player and i adored him while he was here but he didn''t care about us supporters and i for one if i ever see him him pay at carrow road wont be clapping ill be booing