Sign in to follow this  
Rhino1

Krul was a bigger miss than any of us thought - - - -

Looking at the goals yesterday again (painful as it was) I realised a number of them may have been prevented if Krul was between the posts. Not because he would have necessarily saved them , but more that he would have nagged the two CB’s to pick up - only speculation of course, but we seemed to miss him as much for his experience and communication with a young CB in Godfrey and a makeshift CB in Amadou !!! 

• Like 5

I said last season he was the glue that held the defence together. Much more to his game than just shot stopping and goal kicking. Vastly underated.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

I said last season he was the glue that held the defence together. Much more to his game than just shot stopping and goal kicking. Vastly underated.

Amen to that Lapp.

I was going to post a very similar thread to this - only focusing on another aspect of Krul's game - his distribution. It was noticeable at times yesterday that when we were trying to pass out from the back that our defenders didn't seem to have the confidence to pass back to McGovern, but instead always passed forward/sideways to another outfield player. This led to two of Villa's goals if my memory serves correctly. Krul has actually improved his long passing considerably in his time here (see his pass to Emi which set up our 2nd against Man City) and for understandable reasons McGovern wasn't able to do this yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we saw this at the start of the season when Fahrmann - who let’s face it was a shoo in on paper to start - was relegated to the bench. Krul helps our defence be greater than the sum of its parts. Zimbo too probably, and sadly.

8 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It was noticeable at times yesterday that when we were trying to pass out from the back that our defenders didn't seem to have the confidence to pass back to McGovern, but instead always passed forward/sideways to another outfield player. This led to two of Villa's goals if my memory serves correctly. 

Whilst I completely agree with this and also agree that Krul is a good keeper, has been very under rated and given unfair criticism; this was mainly due to the fact McGovern is terrible with the ball!

Krul reminds Godfrey to be more vocal too, which will hopefully start to come to him more and more as he progresses. Amadou obviously still learning English, so Tim can speak to him in French. Small details! 

49 minutes ago, markdmhoward said:

Krul reminds Godfrey to be more vocal too, which will hopefully start to come to him more and more as he progresses. Amadou obviously still learning English, so Tim can speak to him in French. Small details! 

I've probably said this before, but sitting in the front row behind the goal at a match last season (Bristol City game) I could hear all the shouting going on and Krul is at his defenders ALL the time.  Was happily surprised how vocal and involved he was in organising the defence.  Need him back as soon as possible.

Nope. I always thought he'd be a big miss and same goes for Fahrmann if he isn't available as back up.

I said we should give Mickey McG our best support but he was, frankly, not too great at the things we need our keeper to do. So, for example, short passes from out the back. He just CAN NOT do this. Wanted the ball in his hands to roll it out in those instances and looked nervy AF every time a ball came back to him to kick.

It is a big miss not having Krul, not only for those abilities but for his experience.

I have to agree with the OP, missing Krul has been a big part of our problem.  Also he has played in the Prem unlike anyone else in our current lineup and uses that experience to good effect to help a very inexperienced defence.

With the best will in the world, McGovern is, and looks like, the 3rd choice keeper in a side that was working on a very tight budget.

Hate to tell you this Rhino but some of us did realise Krul is and has been a big part of our success since he arrived but then again there are fans now telling us what a big miss Tettey is who were shouting for him to be offloaded in the summer as he was no longer up to it.

21 hours ago, lappinitup said:

Lappinitup - agree whole heartedly , think this and what Krul does behind the scenes is what Webber was referring to last season. Hugely influential for the youngsters on and off the pitch. Yes I am having a Tim Krul love in - - but I think Saturday shows what will happen without him!!! 

9 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Hate to tell you this Rhino but some of us did realise Krul is and has been a big part of our success since he arrived but then again there are fans now telling us what a big miss Tettey is who were shouting for him to be offloaded in the summer as he was no longer up to it.

TIL 1010 - don’t mind admitting it , the jury was out for me - I wasn’t a knocker unlike a lot of our moaner community, but I was unsure. He has grown on me more and more, and Saturday I realised I and we needed him more than could be imagined!!! 

Yep, many of us having been saying this for sometime, its a shame that only in his absence does his true value reveal itself.

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

There seems to be a blind spot regarding Tettey's performances. Even after the Man City game. It seems the popular choices are Amadou and Leitner. Even though Tettey and McLean were the pair the last time we won.

On 06/10/2019 at 20:20, Rhino1 said:

but we seemed to miss him as much for his experience and communication

He will apparently be back for bournemouth

On 07/10/2019 at 16:36, Budapest Canary said:

Can't we use him as a ballboy, or something to that effect, to stand behind the goal and shout?

Thinking outside the box! :classic_smile: I like the cut of your jib young man.

Seriously i'd never considered that factor in his overall contribution. I think McGovern's a decent enough keeper, but obviously Tim's character & extensive PL experience are invaluable when the leadership from Klose & Christoph is missing.

In fact it's obvious really, a goalie has the perfect commanding view of the threats to the defence. Once you have as much experience as Krul you can afford to concentrate a little less on your own positioning & help organise the defence .