Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

VAR Red Card Check?!!?

They only didn't have impact on the result of the match because of how it turned out after they weren't given. Had they been given they could well have influenced a different outcome.

12 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Swings and roundabouts. We had clear penalties not given against us versus West Ham and Burnley, so for my money we're probably in debit with penalty decisions this season.

And as I said, there wasn't a replay which conclusively showed it hit his arm on the ground. 

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich-1-villa-5-six-things-1-6308915

See the photo above point 4.

9 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

They only didn't have impact on the result of the match because of how it turned out after they weren't given. Had they been given they could well have influenced a different outcome.

Absolutely Nutty I think i'm correct in saying that had we been given a penalty and scored it then it would have been 1-1. Completely different game.

Same at Palace last week when we should have had a penalty to make it 1-1 in my view. Yet the replays of these contentious decisions seem to mysteriously disappear after the games. 

That photo looks more midriff than arm to me, and the arm isn't in an unnatural position anyway. I don't think you can get a more natural arm position for a person on the floor.

Similarly, the Palace one was more armpit than arm from point blank range. 

Those 'penalties' would obviously have changed the game had they been given as they would have levelled the game had they been scored. 

The clear cut penalties that I was referring to (West Ham's and Burnley's) clearly wouldn't have changed the game. They were fairly late on and would've, if converted, made each game 3-0. We couldn't muster up anything at 2-0 down, so I doubt being an extra goal down would've proved the catalyst.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

14 hours ago, hogesar said:

Just because VAR has been wrong both for and against us doesnt really count as a defence of it.

You say one not given to us, I say two because Mings is clear. I also think against Palace under the new rules we should have had one for handball.

And of course we can complain. Because goals affect the pattern of football matches far more than a subtle change in personnel or tactics or playing style.

If we're going to have the ballache of not being able to properly celebrate a goal until VAR has confirmed it then let's at least get things like penalty decisions correct.

IMO VAR's record prior to this season has been extremely patchy, nevertheless I was pretty optimistic that's its implementation in Premier League would be good and a positive step towards better\fairer refereeing. Whilst it is still fairly early days I have to say so that so far its been a bit of shambolic disaster - not just, or even primarily, in our games but generally. Firstly when it is applied appears to be very inconsistent, and certainly misses plenty which should be viewed whilst sometimes looking at other incidents without any justification at all.

But worse than that - when it is used, it is producing clearly wrong decisions - I don't whether there has been a change in policy or whether this is just a subjective impression on my part but in the last week or two there appears to be a much greater reluctance to change the referees' decision, even when it is clearly wrong, than there was in first few weeks of the season.

So whilst it is early days at the moment I would say VAR is actually getting worse as the season progresses rather than better, and unless this can be turned around and improved considerably then it should be abandoned at the end of the season - that would be a great shame IMO and I hope things do improve as the season goes on but I think so far its been hugely disappointing.

Edited by Creative Midfielder