Sign in to follow this  
Lonnie Lynn (Common)

Unfair Criticism of Henderson

I''m not a Norwich fan but i go to all their games and i don''t understand whenever henderson gets ready to come on you can groans around the stadium. And i admit when he comes on at Carrow Road he doesnt play particularly well however away from home hes one of city''s best players all the lad needs is a bit of confidence and he could be a great player but you''re literally DESTROYING a young players career. 

Henderson will never ever be good enough at this level. The groans aren''t necessarily directed at him - more so at Worthy for bringing him on.

Against Watford last week he was clean through on goal from a brilliant Hucks through-ball, only to take the ball further away from goal rather than bearing down on it. It wouldn''t suprise me if Hendo ends up playing for Dereham Town or Kings Lynn within the next couple of years.

You''re right about that incident in the Watford game, Beds, but I''ve also seen him do good things and score good goals. I''d be very surprised if the vibes weren''t getting through to him, and I don''t think Worthy has helped him because he hasn''t given him a good shot at establishing himself. I hope the same doesn''t happen to Spillane.

Hendo looked lively on sat on one of his rare chances in his actual position. The effort Beds mentions was poor, but the likes of thorne, ashton, leon and WLY have also made similar hashes of similar chances so far this season.

Hendo is on a hiding to nothing; Worthy has made Hendo look poor by repeatedly playing him in a position that does not suit him and so putting the crowd on Hendos back.  It is inevitable that his confidence willbe knocked and people less willing to give him a fair chance up front based on 3/4 seasons of poor right midfield performances.   Worthyis to blame for that, not Hendo.

He deserves a long chance to show what he can do up front, even if I do agree with Beds that he probably does not have enough to succeed at this level.

I agree with Zipper that he looked lively. In fact when WLY went off I think Hendo revitalised our forward play. That situation against Watford was far from easy and the ball was heading away from the goal and the Watford player actually did well to shepherd him away from the goal. I don''t think anyone else would have done any better.

Hendo needs a good run in the correct position. Read Iwan Roberts'' book if any of you think that he is unaffected by the booing. Many ask- "why does Worthy not play the kids". Well maybe part of it is this intolerance and impatience which has grown up expecting a finsihed article from a green academy player.

If you want to slag someebody off save it for a poor loanee, but lets look after our own and nurture them properly.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

I agree with Zipper that he looked lively. In fact when WLY went off I think Hendo revitalised our forward play. That situation against Watford was far from easy and the ball was heading away from the goal and the Watford player actually did well to shepherd him away from the goal. I don''t think anyone else would have done any better.

Hendo needs a good run in the correct position. Read Iwan Roberts'' book if any of you think that he is unaffected by the booing. Many ask- "why does Worthy not play the kids". Well maybe part of it is this intolerance and impatience which has grown up expecting a finsihed article from a green academy player.

If you want to slag someebody off save it for a poor loanee, but lets look after our own and nurture them properly.

[/quote]

it doesnt bloody help when worthless 90% of the time plays him in a position which he cannot play.....

I agree that Hendo needs a long run in the right position unfortunately that position is with a lower league or Sunday league club, he has had numerous oppurtunities to prove himself but has failed over and over again, how we let Danny Crow leave and kept Hendo, only Worthless knows.....

ZLF hi!! is it possible that Worthy''s training and match ethos for Hendo is based on the Country Weston song " A boy named Sue"

Must confess that its not a song I know but having read the final 3 verses (reproduced below courtsey of Shel Silverstein) it could certainly be a case of tough love, but is anyone convinced that is the best way to develop him? 

''And he said: "Son, this world is rough,
And if a man''s gonna make it, he''s gotta be tough,
And I know I wouldn''t be there to help ya along.
So I give ya that name and I said good-bye.
I knew you''d have to get tough or die,
And it''s that name that helped to make you strong."

He said: "Now you just fought one hell of a fight,
And I know you hate me, and you got the right
To kill me now, and I wouldn''t blame you if you do.
But ya ought to thank me, before I die,
For the gravel in ya guts and the spit in ya eye
Cause I''m the son-of-a-bitch that named you ''Sue''."

I got all choked up and I threw down my gun
And I called him my pa, and he called me his son,
And I come away with a different point of view.
And I think about him, now and then,
Every time I try and every time I win,
And if I ever have a son, I think I''m gonna name him
Bill or George! Anything but sue! I still hate that name!''

Too right Paul- but we can''t blame Hendo for that. Make your feelings known to Worthy but not the lad himself. It was the same with Jonsson- Worthy doesn''t seem to realise the importance of playing players where they are best suited.

And "ample opportunity" does not consisit of a few games here or there out of position either. A decent run starting from scratch not the bench might actually do him some good. If he still can''t do it fair enough but he''s got to have a proper crack.

sorry, but hendo doesn''t look good enough at this level. that isn''t to say the lad hasn''t got talent or lacks determination and effort, it just isn''t happening for him now or in the past two seasons.  He can look as lively as he likes, but unless he''s scoring or creating cances for other pleyers, then what''s the use? My view is he needs to learn the art of goalscoring and the craft of creating chances - if he hasn''t picked that up in training from watching the likes of wly, hucks and deano by now, he needs to learn it in a different environment for the benefit of himself and NCFC.  he hasn''t scored regulary in the reserves and so why should he score regulary in the first team?  In my view, he should be loaned out out at a lower level to (a). get regular first team football and (b). find some goalscoring form and confidence. 

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

Too right Paul- but we can''t blame Hendo for that. Make your feelings known to Worthy but not the lad himself. It was the same with Jonsson- Worthy doesn''t seem to realise the importance of playing players where they are best suited.

And "ample opportunity" does not consisit of a few games here or there out of position either. A decent run starting from scratch not the bench might actually do him some good. If he still can''t do it fair enough but he''s got to have a proper crack.

[/quote]

I agree, I for one have never given him stick.  But he did show he wasnt used to playing on the right, its not surprising the crowd grumble when you pick the ball up on the right on the half way line  with loads of space ahead of you and turn around and pass it back, Etuhu also has done this reguarly out of position.

He should be loaned off if possible, he is an U20 sttriker. All he is gonna get here are the odd appearance on the right or sub up front.

I dont know why people see henderson as anything less than a brilliant prospect for the club, he WILL be good and why give a 20 year old stick? Its pointless, even if you dont think he''ll be good, dont ruin any chance he might have of becoming good by booing him!

It''s very simple - both Ryan Jarvis and Ian Henderson need regular football at this stage in their careers to find out if they really are up to playing at this level. Why this has not been done is beyond me, unless with such a small squad Worthy was not allowed to explore this option. If I were the manager I would loan both out for the whole of next season to one of the lower league clubs. If they come good we have the option of using them in the first team, or selling them for a fee. Either way neither player nor club would lose.

Agreed beaker - it looks like Jarvis will leave at the end of the year, as his contract expires,  having shown glimpses of real talent in the few minutes he has been on the pitch for city but in reality we have no idea whether he can cut it at this level or not despite clearly having potential.

Worthy either has to loan them out or give them more time on the pitch - clearly injury this season has not helped Ryan - but who is confident we would have been given a go if fit?

The like of him, his brother, spillane, cave brown, el agouri etc all need some exposure to test their mentality as well as their ability - poor reserve football is no measure at all...

I agree Hendo hasn''t really had the chance to shine under Worthy.

As an away season ticket holder you get to hear the away whingers too and as he was brought on at Brighton many members of our following gave him stick. You could see it in his body language that he just wanted to do so well and pressured himself too much and made a few mistakes. Suddenly he scored a goal and gave the Home fans some stick and he was being applauded. Norwich fans fickle.................NEVER.

Give the lad a chance, and read what Iwan wrote about how the youngsters are affected by the boo-boys and what it did to both Hendo and Easton. You''re alright by me Hendo, not the most gifted but god loves a tryer as does Philcanary......LOL.

OTBC