Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

We've just f'cked it up.

There’s nothing wrong with operating the way we have done, it’s great for business and earned us a crack at the prem. unfortunately, these things do come back to bite you in the **** sometimes, and really our only downfall at present is that we didn’t invest in another CB this summer. Having said that, with Godfrey, Klose, Zimmerman, Hanley and then Amadou to call upon if required, if all 5 were fit you’d be very happy wouldn’t you?

ho hum!

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Our style of play means we will concede goals. That is a given and people were happy to accept it last season. Now it's got a little bit difficult and people don't have the backbone for it anymore. It's weak.

Yesterday we had one half-fit CB, a LB on painkillers, a RB just back from injury, and not a single holding midfielder. 

Its all well and good shipping lots of goals (although not 5 at home to Villa) if your 'style of play' is still working at the other end. 

We're looking disjointed up there.... Stiepermann scuffing chances, loads of them, Pukki not getting a sniff anymore. 

We've only had one serious injury in that part of the pitch (Hernandez).  

I'd otherwise agree that shipping 2 to West Ham is fine, if we look like we're capable of a 2-2. 

Farke has started the same 4 players up top for every game this season. He does have Drmic, Srbeny and Roberts at his disposal, he hasn't been forced into that. 

Stiepermann has not been at the races, why wouldn't we try Roberts? Looked lively when he came on yesterday. Buendia is a natural number 10, I'm pretty sure if he had Stiepermann's 6 good chances yesterday he'd have had 1 or 2 goals. 

Not all criticisms are directly related to our current injury crisis. 

We had 21 shots yesterday, Villa had 22. 

We had 10 corners yesterday, Villa had 6. 

We had 58% possession yesterday, Villa had 42%. 

Of course we're struggling with the injury crisis at the back, but we're also looking woefully inadequate in the final third and our only plan B at the moment seems to be 5-10 minutes for Drmic and Roberts. 

21 shots in a Premier League game is just astonishing, we all though we'd be restricted to a few chances a game at this level. 

Unfortunately if Stiepermann couldn't score yesterday then he simply isn't ever going to threaten the goal at this level, and we need to consider Roberts out wide and Buendia through the middle.

How poor does Stiepermann need to be before Farke gives that a try? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Its all well and good shipping lots of goals (although not 5 at home to Villa) if your 'style of play' is still working at the other end. 

We're looking disjointed up there.... Stiepermann scuffing chances, loads of them, Pukki not getting a sniff anymore. 

We've only had one serious injury in that part of the pitch (Hernandez).  

I'd otherwise agree that shipping 2 to West Ham is fine, if we look like we're capable of a 2-2. 

Farke has started the same 4 players up top for every game this season. He does have Drmic, Srbeny and Roberts at his disposal, he hasn't been forced into that. 

Stiepermann has not been at the races, why wouldn't we try Roberts? Looked lively when he came on yesterday. Buendia is a natural number 10, I'm pretty sure if he had Stiepermann's 6 good chances yesterday he'd have had 1 or 2 goals. 

Not all criticisms are directly related to our current injury crisis. 

We had 21 shots yesterday, Villa had 22. 

We had 10 corners yesterday, Villa had 6. 

We had 58% possession yesterday, Villa had 42%. 

Of course we're struggling with the injury crisis at the back, but we're also looking woefully inadequate in the final third and our only plan B at the moment seems to be 5-10 minutes for Drmic and Roberts. 

21 shots in a Premier League game is just astonishing, we all though we'd be restricted to a few chances a game at this level. 

Unfortunately if Stiepermann couldn't score yesterday then he simply isn't ever going to threaten the goal at this level, and we need to consider Roberts out wide and Buendia through the middle.

How poor does Stiepermann need to be before Farke gives that a try? 

I'd also be tempted to try Vrancic in place of Stiepi when he's back from injury. His passing is quicker and more incisive than Leitner's, and would complement our passing style better than Stiepermann (who does look way out of his depth to be honest).

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

Our style of play means we will concede goals. That is a given and people were happy to accept it last season. Now it's got a little bit difficult and people don't have the backbone for it anymore. It's weak.

Yesterday we had one half-fit CB, a LB on painkillers, a RB just back from injury, and not a single holding midfielder. 

If you’ve got such injury problems then you have to change it. We can barely defend when everyone is fit - because we’re so open it relies on individuals being really good defensively. If you’re playing third, fourth choice players at the back then they aren’t going to be good enough defensively. Even Godfrey and Aarons have been caught out ofmposition numerous times this season. 

How many times was anyone caught out of position against Man City (a side who have players that can pull even the best defences in the world all over the place)? Very few. Because we set up more solidly. 

Your style has to evolve and adapt to circumstances. We definitely shouldn’t start hoofing  it. But we can set up more solidly, play nice football from the back in a more counter attacking way. At the moment, we can’t just say “oh it will get better when everyone is fit”. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

We have 2 other centre backs.  A shame Raggett and Bushiri are both out on loan.  Raggett would have been no worse than Hanley.

Let's not exaggerate. Hanley has proven his himself as a very good Championship defender, whereas Raggett has played just nine times in it and is back down in League One this season with as much time on the bench as the pitch.

On 06/10/2019 at 22:13, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Let's not exaggerate. Hanley has proven his himself as a very good Championship defender, whereas Raggett has played just nine times in it and is back down in League One this season with as much time on the bench as the pitch.

To be fair they probably do have similar strengths and weaknesses, what with them both being big traditional centre halves. 

I'd expect Raggett to settle at lower Champs level if he doesn't get any further bad injuries, a Wigan or Milwall. 

But Hanley not too far ahead of that level in reality? Blackburn for him most likely? 

Can't see how Raggett would fit into our way of playing to be honest, although Hanley doesn't either and he would have been handy to have around in hindsight and would probably have grabbed an appearance or two in the Premier League if he'd stuck around... football is a funny old game! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

On 06/10/2019 at 22:13, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It's hardly much of an exaggeration.  It's not like I've claimed he would be the best defender in the PL or anything.  Anyway, if Raggett was still here I have little doubt he would have been playing at CB alongside Godfrey allowing Amadou to play in midfield.

Don't know why we are discussing this as it's all the fans fault because the atmosphere was rubbish at Villa... that's what Mr 3 years and I am off said anyways...

Timm Klose = Knee Injury (had one before)

Tom Trybull = Ankle Injury (had one before)

Mario Vrancic = Calf Injury (had one before)

Ralf Fahrmann = Groin Injury (had one a year ago)

And I've got a cold...(had one before)

On 16/10/2019 at 16:52, Kenny Foggo said:

Don't know why we are discussing this as it's all the fans fault because the atmosphere was rubbish at Villa... that's what Mr 3 years and I am off said anyways...

Yeah too right mate, I want someone in charge who will say “if (insert player name here) isn’t here this time next season then neither will I” Someone with honesty, integrity, sound financial acumen who would never lie to the supporters or criticise them by calling them a nest of snakes!