Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
City fan

Must go

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Peanuts said:

I'm curious what people think the long-term project is though? I know Webber said they didn't expect promotion this soon, but does that mean we'd have had more money to spend upon promotion if we'd been in the Championship another couple of seasons?

Personally I think the long term project is a club that at least breaks even and can compete in the Championship with the odd promotion season if we have a bit of luck. I know I should be satisfied with that given that quite a few Championship owners bankroll their clubs to a far greater extent than ours, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed that having done the hard work with recruitment, training and building a team to win the Championship we haven't pushed on and tried to be more competitive this season.

Its such a balancing act.  If we hadn't been promoted, I suspect some or all of Godfrey, Aarons, Buendia, maybe Pukki, Lewis and Klose would've moved on & we'd be back to square one in the Championship, developing young players.  Instead, we've given contracts to most of them (and others), thus protecting ourselves financially if we do go down.

The long-term project has to be a level of stability (4 to 5 years continuously) in the Premier League - accomplishing that within the constraints of being self-funding would be an incredible achievement.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me the big test will come if we do go down.

1) Can we hold on to some of our young up and comers or do we get pushed into selling them all?

2) Can we use our financial muscle to cherry pick players like Burnley did the season they went back down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, king canary said:

For me the big test will come if we do go down.

1) Can we hold on to some of our young up and comers or do we get pushed into selling them all?

2) Can we use our financial muscle to cherry pick players like Burnley did the season they went back down?

Norwich City will never be competitive in the EPL as long as it remains a self funding club. So if we go down we might as well be barred from coming back up until we get serious about this league which will only be under new owners. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Vince said:

Norwich City will never be competitive in the EPL as long as it remains a self funding club. So if we go down we might as well be barred from coming back up until we get serious about this league which will only be under new owners. 

Big Bob knew all about self funding......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Big Vince said:

Norwich City will never be competitive in the EPL as long as it remains a self funding club. So if we go down we might as well be barred from coming back up until we get serious about this league which will only be under new owners. 

Yeah but you also said a year ago we'd never be competitive in the Championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yeah but you also said a year ago we'd never be competitive in the Championship.

They were only competitive in the Championship because they got lucky by getting Pukki for nothing. How much would you normally have to pay for a 30 goal a season striker?

Trouble is, Delia now thinks this is the way to go with all signings. Unless she spent the whole of the Villa game with her head turned fully 180 degrees from looking at the pitch, perhaps it dawned on her that, actually, you do need to spend if you don't want to go around losing 5-1 every week. Maybe not. You just cannot reason with rank stupidity. Anybody who appointed the Blarneymeister, Rodent, Gunn, Adams, Bob the Grocer, Doomcaster (Mr 15 loan signings. Remember him?) et al is well beyond redemption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/10/2019 at 17:26, Jobsworth Canary said:

The penny will drop with the happy clappers eventually 

 

So JC let's look at the situation.

We have 4 centre backs in the squad, not unreasonable, three are injured and the other is playing with a hernia.

We have 3 defensive midfielders, not unreasonable, but two are injured and the other is filling in at centre back.

We have 3 goalkeepers, not unreasonable, but have the first two choices out injured.

So should we be surprised that results are not what we would like?

Now how can I  put this politely JC, do you have issues with intellectual robustness?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Sussexyellow said:

 

Now how can I  put this politely JC, do you have issues ?

I have corrected it for you Sussex. 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/10/2019 at 02:58, CirclePoint said:

I’m sorry. Can you remind me what seat you fill in the executive suit again? Oh, that’s right, you don’t have one. 

Can you remind me how many NCFC shares you hold? Thought so.

And one more, can you remind me again the list of investors you have lined up to plan an aggressive take over of NCFC? 

That’s right. Breathe. Breathe. Take deep breaths as you come to the realization that you have NO control or influence in this particular situation.

So sit back down and let the grown-ups figure it out.

If you struggle with this, I recommend approaching the owner of the company you work for and telling him or her that in order for the company to move up in the ranks of competitive business, they need to spend about 100,000,000 pounds that they don’t have. If they say no, ask them to leave. See how that goes.

If someone could help me understand why the universe keeps creating these self-centered, sense of entitled idiots, I’d appreciate it.

You are so thick you can't see the irony of your reply. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 18:12, Big Vince said:

Norwich City will never be competitive in the EPL as long as it remains a self funding club. 

Despite all his other ravings, this bit is unfortunately, probably correct. It relies on balancing on the high wire forever and never falling off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Despite all his other ravings, this bit is unfortunately, probably correct. It relies on balancing on the high wire forever and never falling off.

where as, outside of the top sx or so, the rest are extremely overstretched and relaint upon an ever threatened income stream

what is not understood by many is that the TV money is paid on periodic payment method, one that is dependent upon the payees receiving subscription fees

ie money needs to come in monthly so clubs can recieve it

and a shown on here (Bill TV) it is quite easy to access content without a subsceiption - and this is becoming more the 'norm' - so as subscription income drops so does advertising/sponsorship

where then clubs with player contract liabilities running into the 100's of millions, loans to pay ground development etc ?

the bubble my not be about to burst but it is certainly leaking air ..................ever so slightly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Big Vince said:

Trouble is, Delia now thinks this is the way to go with all signings......perhaps it dawned on her that, actually, you do need to spend.......

Can you remind us of all the big money signings Chase made Vinnie?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Despite all his other ravings, this bit is unfortunately, probably correct. It relies on balancing on the high wire forever and never falling off.

Oh Rickyyyyy

Take heart from the fact that 12 months ago you thought you'd never see us even play in the PL again.🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take heart from the fact that 12 months ago you thought you'd never see us even play in the PL again.

Until Ron Saunders, I never thought we would ever make it to the top division.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Despite all his other ravings, this bit is unfortunately, probably correct. It relies on balancing on the high wire forever and never falling off.

 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

where as, outside of the top sx or so, the rest are extremely overstretched and relaint upon an ever threatened income stream

what is not understood by many is that the TV money is paid on periodic payment method, one that is dependent upon the payees receiving subscription fees

ie money needs to come in monthly so clubs can recieve it

and a shown on here (Bill TV) it is quite easy to access content without a subsceiption - and this is becoming more the 'norm' - so as subscription income drops so does advertising/sponsorship

where then clubs with player contract liabilities running into the 100's of millions, loans to pay ground development etc ?

the bubble my not be about to burst but it is certainly leaking air ..................ever so slightly

Agree with Bill here - what is “competitive” in the prem? Finishing 14th and hoping you might get to an FA cup semi final once every few years? Great. Spending more and more on fairly average players in order to do so? Even greater. Always worrying about having one bad season, going down and then struggling with finances for the next 5-10 years (or worse) and/ or selling all your best players to avoid going bust?

Of course I’d take playing in the top division (although occasions such as winning the playoff final will live much longer in my memory than Burnley away). But I would rather we are ran sensibly and responsibly in terms of finances - if we can establish in the prem doing it that way, great. If we can’t then so be it. But I’d rather we do it that way and yo-yo than risk being in the position of Bolton, Coventry, Portsmouth etc..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Oh Rickyyyyy

Take heart from the fact that 12 months ago you thought you'd never see us even play in the PL again.🙃

Unlike the young dreamers on here, I know that nothing lasts forever. Many will fall away when the next downturn begins.

Hopefully you and I will still be about whilst awaiting the next upturn😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Take heart from the fact that 12 months ago you thought you'd never see us even play in the PL again.

Until Ron Saunders, I never thought we would ever make it to the top division.

 

After 1961 I thought we would never see Division three again.

Best always to expect the unexpected. Its more fun that way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Aggy said:

 

Agree with Bill here - what is “competitive” in the prem? Finishing 14th and hoping you might get to an FA cup semi final once every few years? Great. Spending more and more on fairly average players in order to do so? Even greater. Always worrying about having one bad season, going down and then struggling with finances for the next 5-10 years (or worse) and/ or selling all your best players to avoid going bust?

Of course I’d take playing in the top division (although occasions such as winning the playoff final will live much longer in my memory than Burnley away). But I would rather we are ran sensibly and responsibly in terms of finances - if we can establish in the prem doing it that way, great. If we can’t then so be it. But I’d rather we do it that way and yo-yo than risk being in the position of Bolton, Coventry, Portsmouth etc..

the threat  that hags over us and so many others is the huge liabilities we carry in the way of player contracts that cannot be so easily shed - as we foind to our cost when we last were relegated......................with three year contracts and two year parachute payments

what would happen if the TV money was cut ?

sell players..... to who, as pretty much every club previously in a position to buy players would be  up the same creek as us, none of us having a paddle

and I suspect most are stuck in some dreamworld where nothing will change whereby the only means of watching live games is to cough up a large amount every month, whereas for many who are only interested in watching their team it can now be done for free

of course there is a 'moral' question here, but that does not mean this behavior will not increase with the use of VPN,

so it is not going to be a case of waiting a few years to see what the next round of TV contracts are worth, it is being aware that as revenue drops off daily so that will impact on the ability of Sky, BT etc to meet their 'monthly' payments

just because the current TV rights deal is for x number of more years, it does not mean that the money is guaranteed to be there to cover those years

be warned.... things change (ITV Digital)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best always to expect the unexpected. Its more fun that way.

If the unexpected turned out to be unexpected could we win the Prem as a self financing club with a major injury crisis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, City fan said:

You are so thick you can't see the irony of your reply. 

Really? Oh I’d enjoy reading your response outlining the irony!  But alas, I feel such a response would only embarrass you further.

Allow me to break it down for you in five simple steps.

1. Sit back down.

2. Stop your whining.

3. Enjoy the football. 

4. Let the OWNERS run the club.

5. Repeat.

If you find these simple steps difficult to follow, then I recommend seeing a therapist who can help you recognize what you are really upset about in your life.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 13:13, Big Vince said:

They were only competitive in the Championship because they got lucky by getting Pukki for nothing. How much would you normally have to pay for a 30 goal a season striker?

Trouble is, Delia now thinks this is the way to go with all signings. Unless she spent the whole of the Villa game with her head turned fully 180 degrees from looking at the pitch, perhaps it dawned on her that, actually, you do need to spend if you don't want to go around losing 5-1 every week. Maybe not. You just cannot reason with rank stupidity. Anybody who appointed the Blarneymeister, Rodent, Gunn, Adams, Bob the Grocer, Doomcaster (Mr 15 loan signings. Remember him?) et al is well beyond redemption.

It always makes me laugh to read your comments, BV. You remind me of Dudley. “Well last year, last year I had 36 gifts.”

You are the master at counter-point conversation and are always ready to share your down-hearted thoughts of your reality; which you are welcome to do. That’s the beauty of this thing called life.

However, it seems your biggest problem is that you wish to impose your reality upon others in a realm where your voice is worth nothing. Yes on the message board you can cause a stir and you get an ego kick out of it, but in the grown-up world, nobody takes a single ounce of notice of what you have to say, and I’m sorry (not) that this frustrates you to no end.

Your continuing mantra of “It’s not happening the way I want it happen.” wreaks of being a spoilt princess.

It’s not your club. Suck it up, Buttercup.

Edited by CirclePoint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ricardo said:

Despite all his other ravings, this bit is unfortunately, probably correct. It relies on balancing on the high wire forever and never falling off.

Unless this European super league happens in which case there's every chance we will be. Never say never

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 13:13, Big Vince said:

They were only competitive in the Championship because they got lucky by getting Pukki for nothing. 

Really? Besides cross pollinating two conversations, which I understand can easily happen in a butterfly brain such as yours, I could have sworn that when I watched NCFC in the Championship last season, there were 10 other players on the field that did very fine job of moving the ball around and creating goal scoring opportunities. You did see that, yes?

BV’s Grade: C- must try harder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ThorpeCanary said:

Unless this European super league happens in which case there's every chance we will be. Never say never

Agreed, but the money will follow the viewership ratings. So, if the Super League happens, we’ll probably drop to a Championship level of TV revenue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bill said:

err, I think you'll find pig mince is on a wind up

or trying to 😕

I know...but that’s no excuse to listen to idiots.

I’m truly fascinated by how stupid people like Big Dudley can get when they start ranting on about topics they don’t really understand.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Every post is a wind-up and I'm surprised he still gets so many bites.

Yes, although I do find it quite funny that a poster who's spent this entire thread calling other people stupid had been sucked in by this boards most obvious troll.

Edited by king canary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×