Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Match thread

6 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Don't mention being lightweight.  I got slaughtered just before the start of the season for suggesting this.

Unfortunately you’ve been proved right then as it’s painfully obvious at this level that we’re powder puff across the pitch. 

I said to my Dad at half time, it was like some of the performances in Farke's first season and start of the second season.  Can Farke get it right?  Is he capable of getting it right?  Does he have the players to get it right?  Trouble is, it took him a year and a bit to get it right in the Champs, without ever addressing our defensive issues, I hasten to add. If it's going to take that long again, we're doomed.  I don't see us spending much if anything in January and going into the season with a light squad that had little if any real strengthening should it really come as much of a surprise?

Little difference between the teams other than Villa defended properly and didn't give the ball away in midfield.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The self-sustaining policy being pursued is a sensible one for any club with owners who don’t have the financial clout to ‘buy’ success. Today was a hugely disappointing result but look at the match day squad - only Byram on the bench had any Premier League experience before this season. Having untried youngsters on the bench reflects the awful injury problems DF faces. We will probably be relegated this season, so be it. We have been here before and probably will be again.

Just now, ricardo said:

Little difference between the teams other than Villa defended properly and didn't give the ball away in midfield.

Do I sense a hint of irony?  That's a couple of big differences, not forgetting to mention that Villa also put the ball in the net.

The system that got us here is broken.

All the things that we used to do so well are no longer working.

Teams have quickly learned how to stop us and we do not have any answers.

Our passing fluency has gone, we continually give the ball away in dangerous areas, Pukki's reputation means he is getting marked out of games, our defending has got worse almost every week and we are no longer capable of out scoring the opposition.

Well done McGovern.

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You tedious little man. 

Run out of irrelevant stats to back up your inane opinions?

Edited by kirku

3 minutes ago, kirku said:

Run out of irrelevant stats to back up your inane opinions?

Actually just wondering whether you are this cocky in the local pub, I'm guessing you are a miserable pipsqueak of a man Kirku. Be gone with you. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Actually just wondering whether you are this cocky in the local pub, I'm assuming you are a miserable pipsqueak of a man Kirku. Be gone with you. 

If having a vague idea what I'm talking about qualifies as "cocky", then yes.

You might like to try it next time, it'd make exchanges like this less embarrassing for you.

12 minutes ago, unique said:

Look on the bright side - we can all avoid MOTD tonight..........

Also it’s looking increasingly likely that we’ll be able to hang on to our star players if we go down! They are not exactly setting this league alight

2 minutes ago, kirku said:

If having a vague idea what I'm talking about qualifies as "cocky", then yes.

You might like to try it next time, it'd make exchanges like this less embarrassing for you.

The only thing embarrassing here is your complete lack of imagination, and Drmic showing you up to be clueless. 

We're talking about a striker who almost moved to Arsenal for £20m, who has just scored our only goal in 3 games and you are calling me out for wanting to find a way to accommodate him in a side which can't score goals. Probably at the expense of a failing number 10 who spurned 6 chances today. 

Yeah you sound really enlightened mate. Right same XI again then Kirku, lets give Drmic 5 minutes a week.... proper genius aren't ya mate. Top tier donut. 

Well, I'm not gonna cry and give up just yet like some people on here just yet. If however when we're back to full strength we're still getting clapped 5-0 by relegation rivals, nappies will start getting filled.

21 minutes ago, kirku said:

Villa spent something like £150m and we're absolutely ravaged by injuries. The defending has been shocking but there some serious caveats that need to be taken into account.

We were told all summer though that spending like Villa was Fulham mark 2 and destined for failure. Now the spending means that we shouldn't expect to be able to compete with them? Not for me.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

We were told all summer though that spending like Villa was Fulham mark 2 and destined for failure. Now the spending means that we shouldn't expect to be able to compete with them? Not for me.

I think the more you spend the more likely you are to be successful and I don't believe many were saying spending that amount is destined for failure. It's whether you can afford that spend if the worst happens. Villa can do as they like. A Norwich City spending that amount and getting relegated could be disastrous.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ThorpeCanary said:

I think the more you spend the more likely you are to be successful and I don't believe many were saying spending that amount is destined for failure. It's whether you can afford that spend if the worst happens. Villa can do as they like. A Norwich City spending that amount and getting relegated could be disastrous.

Not being able to afford to spend £150m is completely understandable and accepted by the majority of fans.

But we've spent less on transfer fees this season than Barnsley and about the same as Luton. 

Perhaps we really are that skint, but it may be a case that we're 'rewarded' some of our existing players a little bit too much? How many of our players Premier League standard, and is it significantly fewer than the number who are now on Premier League salaries thanks to new contracts?

There are questions to be asked. I'm personally not convinced that Stiepermann would stand out in a mediocre Championship side or that Kenny McLean is too good for Derby County. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

A home defeat like that is hard to take, the international break could not come at a better time.  Not only the Man City game but the the respectful 0-2s, where we were still  "in the game" in the middle of the second half seem to be a long time ago. Maybe we should set up as if all teams we were playing were Man City and   play for the odd couterattack. We have an injury crisis, but we can't afford to wait with picking up points until all our wounded return.

OTBC

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The only thing embarrassing here is your complete lack of imagination, and Drmic showing you up to be clueless. 

We're talking about a striker who almost moved to Arsenal for £20m, who has just scored our only goal in 3 games and you are calling me out for wanting to find a way to accommodate him in a side which can't score goals. Probably at the expense of a failing number 10 who spurned 6 chances today. 

Yeah you sound really enlightened mate. Right same XI again then Kirku, lets give Drmic 5 minutes a week.... proper genius aren't ya mate. Top tier donut. 

I'm convinced.

Let's move our best striker into the hole, a position that's clearly not his best, unsettle the one part of the team that is doing OK, in the context of an injury ravaged squad and a team that already has players out of position in order to accommodate a bloke who the papers said Arsenal were interested in about 3 years ago and who's just "proved his worth" by scoring a soft consolidation goal. 

48 minutes ago, king canary said:

The facts never supported that conclusion.

Can't remember the numbers, but Fulham were the outliers. In a vast majority of cases, spending a load did massively improve chances of avoiding the drop. 

Agree that there was a media narrative of "doing a Fulham" but it wasn't really a thing. Good recruitment can be done on any budget, but can clearly be more effective with a larger budget than a smaller one. 

Edited by kirku

13 minutes ago, kirku said:

I'm convinced.

Let's move our best striker into the hole, a position that's clearly not his best, unsettle the one part of the team that is doing OK,

Intentionally ignoring the majority of my words and carefully selecting a few of them to 'win' an imaginary argument that you created in your own head and probably think is being watched by a non-existent crowd of 124 people who are cheering your every post like a year 9 playground fight (they aren't there and nobody gives a toss, leave me alone now you complete internet weirdo). 

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We don't need to change the front three to see that its not working out for Stepi through the middle, need to try Cantwell or Emi as the number 10. So there 'literally' are options. Another is to use Pukki in attacking midfield and start Drmic.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I have just seen the goals. We cannot use injuries as an excuse for defending that would embarrass Sunday park footballers. Villa must have thought all their birthdays had arrived at once.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Intentionally ignoring the majority of my words and carefully selecting a few of them to 'win' an imaginary argument that you created in your own head and probably think is being watched by a non-existent crowd of 124 people who are cheering your every post like a playground fight (they aren't there and nobody gives a toss, leave me alone you complete internet weirdo). 

Firstly, what you've quoted yourself saying is exactly what I was referring to. 

Secondly, the posting about hypothetical pubs and internet viewers is as logical as the rest of your ramblings. Really quite bizarre. 

5 minutes ago, kirku said:

Firstly, what you've quoted yourself saying is exactly what I was referring to. 

Secondly, the posting about hypothetical pubs and internet viewers is as logical as the rest of your ramblings. Really quite bizarre. 

I illustrated quite clearly that you were quoting me out of context like a tabloid gutter journalist, I suggest you get back in that gutter and leave me alone.

My point about the pub is that if you decided, bizarrely, to pick a fight with a stranger in a pub and then didn't leave them alone after they'd asked you a dozen times they'd probably spark you out.

Now leave me alone you massive freak

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

48 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I illustrated quite clearly that you were quoting me out of context like a tabloid gutter journalist, I suggest you get back in that gutter and leave me alone.

My point about the pub is that if you decided, bizarrely, to pick a fight with a stranger in a pub and then didn't leave them alone after they'd asked you a dozen times they'd probably spark you out.

Now leave me alone you massive freak

Sometimes when you post your opinions on a forum, people will engage with your posts and might even disagree. 

Next time it happens, try not to make yourself look like an infantile fool. It'll help. 

6 minutes ago, kirku said:

Sometimes when you post your opinions on a forum, people will engage with your posts and might even disagree. 

Next time it happens, try not to make yourself look like an infantile fool. It'll help. 

Try not to selectively quote people like a scummy Murdoch rag tabloid journalist when trying to 'engage' with people and they might decide you are worthy of entering into discussion with instead of telling you to jog on. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, Crafty Canary said:

I have just seen the goals. We cannot use injuries as an excuse for defending that would embarrass Sunday park footballers. Villa must have thought all their birthdays had arrived at once.

Indeed. People have been disappearing up their own bumholes trying to think of excuses. At the end of the day this was our 3rd consecutive woeful performance but finally a scoreline that really highlights the predicament we are in. Performances are down, confidence is shot. We can't defend and we can't score. It's going to need a massive turnaround for us to survive.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Not being able to afford to spend £150m is completely understandable and accepted by the majority of fans.

But we've spent less on transfer fees this season than Barnsley and about the same as Luton. 

Perhaps we really are that skint, but it may be a case that we're 'rewarded' some of our existing players a little bit too much? How many of our players Premier League standard, and is it significantly fewer than the number who are now on Premier League salaries thanks to new contracts?

There are questions to be asked. I'm personally not convinced that Stiepermann would stand out in a mediocre Championship side or that Kenny McLean is too good for Derby County. 

Maybe a bit of 20/20 hindsight but yes there is an argument that rewarding players who hadn't proved themselves in the Premier League with Premier League contracts maybe wasn't totally wise.

• Like 1

My money is on Webber, Farke etc getting things right rather than a load of posters on here. Especially those who have clearly been waiting for an opportunity to criticise again. Its disappointing but not surprising that a little respect cant be shown to the job Farke and Webber have done.

We may well go down this season. We should all know that. Would I rather have spent 150m to be Villa who are only a couple of points better of for it so far? No way. I've loved seeing Cantwell take his opportunity in the prem. I've loved seeing Lewis adapt, Godfrey get his chance and Aaron's.

Let's not get too silly this early in the season. Some of you are so weak! Give up at the first sign of things getting difficult.

• Like 1