TIL 1010

Stadium Expansion Latest.

6 hours ago, kingsway said:

I think the old City stand which burnt down in 1984 held about 4500-5500. Until the mid 60s this stand had a lower tier of standing that were first converted to bench seats then the whole stand was realigned with one tier of plastic seats.

I can remember sitting on the bench seats a few times with my dad when I was little. Maybe an uncle there too  . My older cousins were in the Barclay , that seemed much more interesting to watch than the football. That looked like fun , with that line of policemen down the middle ! And some old boys near us throwing those little green cushions one particularly disappointing game , which I was worried I might somehow get in trouble for .

Edited by Pockthorpe

11 hours ago, kingsway said:

In them days 18,000 was a bumper crowd and Robert Chase probably didn't want the extra expense of 2-3000 more seats. In fact Boardroom arguments over the new stand in 1985 was why Arthur South quit. The stand does have the foundations for an upper tier.

Ever since the Worthy era the League 2 sized City stand has looked out of place with its low capacity.

I think the old City stand which burnt down in 1984 held about 4500-5500. Until the mid 60s this stand had a lower tier of standing that were first converted to bench seats then the whole stand was realigned with one tier of plastic seats.

Yes, but that wasn't an argument over the size of the rebuild. As I understand it Chase, who was a builder himself, questioned the tendering process under which Carters had been chosen, on the basis that South was married to a Carter, and used that to gain control of the club.

13 hours ago, Essjayess said:

Still cant see why some think of 35k to 40k capacity..i think around 32k would likely be a more realistic capacity.

My only concern would be is that if you’re going to expand the main stand, then you may as well make use of as much of the space as possible, as you wouldn’t be able to expand that side again - and I think it’s possible to get it to 35k.

4 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

My only concern would be is that if you’re going to expand the main stand, then you may as well make use of as much of the space as possible, as you wouldn’t be able to expand that side again - and I think it’s possible to get it to 35k.

For sure.

Considering the South stand without its corner infills holds 8.2k to knockdown the city stand and rebuild it fully (with both infills) you'd expect the entire thing to be around the 12k mark I think.

9 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

The parcel of land at the back of the City Stand the club recently purchased means a single tier stand can be built bridging Carrow Road.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Why would a 12,000 capacity stand need to be three tiers? There are several stands bigger than that in England with only one tier.

Because of the amount of space it would need. If it was like the South Stand then it would have to stretch back either on or over Carrow Road.

As the current Main stand has 4000 seats on one tier  the basic sums would show that two tiers would provide around 8000 seats.

Look at both the Barclay and the River End. To produce 12,000 more seats you would have to fit both of them into the Main Stand space & corner infills.

Is the pitch length really almost twice that of the width ?

I think the club would have to think very carefully about expanding the stadium, especially to a size that would be bigger than it's average needs.

One of the reasons the club has such high season ticket numbers is because it's hard to get casual tickets. It's very possible that if you raise the capacity too far, season ticket sales would go down. 

🤓
9 minutes ago, Bill said:

Because of the amount of space it would need. If it was like the South Stand then it would have to stretch back either on or over Carrow Road.

As the current Main stand has 4000 seats on one tier  the basic sums would show that two tiers would provide around 8000 seats.

Look at both the Barclay and the River End. To produce 12,000 more seats you would have to fit both of them into the Main Stand space & corner infills.

Is the pitch length really almost twice that of the width ?

According to Tilly's post above, we could now build over Carrow Road; I hadn't realised that. That would surely make a two-tier stand viable.

20 minutes ago, Bill said:

But I think that's surely the plan, why buy the land behind Carrow road otherwise?

In which case instead if looking at the Barclay and River end just imagine another South stand with 2 infills. You're nearly at your 12k already.

34 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The parcel of land at the back of the City Stand the club recently purchased means a single tier stand can be built bridging Carrow Road.

Just realised how I define a tier may be off. I see a tier as simply a group of seats being divided by some form of barrier (such as hospitality boxes etc) as opposed to seats being built directly ontop of seats (does that even happen anymore?) If the latter definition is a tier then I suppose all our stands are a single tier and the new city stand will be too - whether it's divided by hospitality boxes or not

Edited by Hillhead

A tier is a layer, as with it going over the one below.

And what ever occupies the space now in the main stand would only be 8000 - either single or double

The talk of it going over Carrow Road supports my point -  why do it if a 12.000 seater stand can be already built in the space

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Yes, I thought so. Do you know if the club has hinted towards wanting either a single or double tier?

In either case, I would imagine you would or could have a tunnel where Carrow Road is, similar to St. James' Park or Old Trafford. That's what I've done in this design.

Also attached a view from the South stand to what the double tier could look like.

Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 11.08.58.png

Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 11.09.34.png

4 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

Yes, I thought so. Do you know if the club has hinted towards wanting either a single or double tier?

In either case, I would imagine you would or could have a tunnel where Carrow Road is, similar to St. James' Park or Old Trafford. That's what I've done in this design.

Also attached a view from the South stand to what the double tier could look like.

Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 11.08.58.png

Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 11.09.34.png

Hope they do this.....It looks absolutely magnificent.....and brings tiers to my eyes......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Which as it remains the same height as the other three stands,

would only be 4000 extra, plus whatever the two infills would add

To put 12,000 int,o that space would require an increase in height, as it would if the South Stand were to hold 12,000

Jarrold with 2 infills would be 11600

Adding just 2 rows would take it in excess of 12k

That's assuming the Jarrod does hold 8.2k and the infills 1.7k.

Even without the extra rows you would probably get to 12k just by making the snake pit corner slightly larger with no interruptions.

I like the design with the road although it would certainly need the changing rooms etc all to be underground as other clubs have done 

Looks great Darth, please go ahead. 

And could you tell me where the loos are please? 

Those look good and that is close to what I think the design will be when it eventually gets built - taking us to around 35k

Only difference I think is that the cantaliever design for the roof now looks quite old school, I think we might end up with something similar to Liverpool's new stand.

12 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

And could you tell me where the loos are please? 

About 40 miles down the A140.

8 hours ago, Hillhead said:

Only difference I think is that the cantaliever design for the roof now looks quite old school, I think we might end up with something similar to Liverpool's new stand.

I like old school! But yes, you are probably right.

I like it. 

We'll need a cut out in the roof so we can still see the Norwich Cathedral spire, and no luxury boxes available in this new stand? Is this a demo and rebuild or an "add on" to what we already got"? 

8 hours ago, Surfer said:

I like it. 

We'll need a cut out in the roof so we can still see the Norwich Cathedral spire, and no luxury boxes available in this new stand? Is this a demo and rebuild or an "add on" to what we already got"? 

You'll have to go without a view of the Cathedral for a few years. You can see it again when we build those extra seats behind the South stand 😀

8 hours ago, Surfer said:

I like it. 

Aha, not having the Norwich skyline in view was something I did think about, but its got to be done.

This would be a complete rebuild, and there are boxes at the top of the bottom tier!

14 hours ago, Darth Vadis said:

This would be a complete rebuild, and there are boxes at the top of the bottom tier!

Ah, I was thinking we could build around the existing season ticket holders. Give everyone a yellow or green hard hat to wear while the game is going on. Enterprising construction workers could flog early entry to the half finished luxury boxes for a fiver each if it's a bit parky.