TIL 1010

Stadium Expansion Latest.

15 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

Not sure about 29,700.

8000 + 6000 + 6000 + 1700 = 21,700.

Was under the impression that the City stand holds closer to 5000. That would give you 26,700, a few hundred off 27,200. I think the Barclay and River end hold more but I'm just rounding it down to keep things simple.

A new two tiered stand, bottom tier holding 4500 and the top 5500, and two corner infills of 2000 each would give you a capacity of around 35,000.

you seem to be getting yourself rather muddled here

Capacity 27,200. minus 400 main stand seats = 23700

ie  12,000 needed...........three tiers based on the need to join up with the two corners, and current seating capacity for that space

please explain what is wrong with those figures

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

ie  12,000 needed...........three tiers based on the need to join up with the two corners, and current seating capacity for that space

He designed a new Carrow Road as just a bit of harmless fun. He’s done a good job. Stop getting your knickers in a twist 👍🏻

11 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

He designed a new Carrow Road as just a bit of harmless fun. He’s done a good job. Stop getting your knickers in a twist 👍🏻

oh dear

I have made no comment on the design or else

I have merely pointed out that the figures are not correct

hardly 'getting your knickers in a twist"

Just now, Bill said:

oh dear

I have made no comment on the design or else

I have merely pointed out that the figures are not correct

hardly 'getting your knickers in a twist"

It kind of is ‘getting your knickers in a twist’ if you whinge about it for several posts 🥱😴🥱😴

• Like 3

it gets worse

pointing out the cotrrect figures via two posts is hardly whinging in several posts - and you appear to be the one getting all stroppy about it

so why not refute my figures

or simply wind your neck in as the irony of your posts seem to have gone sailing past

2 hours ago, Darth Vadis said:

With all the extra free time self-isolation has given me, I've designed a potential City Stand expansion on Sketchup. I calculated the scale and size by a combination of wikipedia numbers, fag packet sums and just my eye - so if it's not perfect then that'll be why. 

I reckon the capacity of this stadium to be about 35,700.

Link to view:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/0c3a8066-7a23-4d4f-9b07-24d4f229814d/Carrow-Road

Nicely done, I like the design especially as you’ve removed the lego hotel.....👍

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bill said:

OK Bill, going by your figures, you still wouldn't need a three tiered stand. 23,700 + a two-tiered 10,000 stand gives you 33,700 already. Not counting for corner infills. Can I ask where you got 4000 for the City stand from?

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

Nicely done, I like the design especially as you’ve removed the lego hotel.....👍

Aha, it wasn't worth the effort!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Darth Vadis said:

Aha, it wasn't worth the effort!

I’ll second that! Much rather had a corner infill with an additional 1000 seats.

12000 isn't that unreasonable if your including the corner infills though right? Especially if they don't have a box in like the current one does.

Edit - found this online

The redevelopment of the old South Stand saw a new structure containing an initial 8,212 seats for spectators, including a block of 295 executive seats, to take the stadium’s capacity up to 24,369.

With a further 1,700 added by the corner infill between the Jarrold and the Norwich & Peterborough stands, known as the Aviva Community Stand now, in 2005 and further small additions the capacity of Carrow Road is now just over 27,200.

So even if the jarrold had have had two infills that would have bought it up to around 11600. Do that without the boxes and you have your 12000 with a single tiered jarrold. The new stand when it comes will clearly be different and may well have two tiers but no need for three 

Edited by Hillhead

12 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Yes well done Darth. A good effort. Ignore pedant Bill 👍🏻

I just dread to think how Bill's quarantine is going if he's getting so worked up about this. The dishwasher will surely be through the neighbour's front window by now

4 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

12000 isn't that unreasonable if your including the corner infills though right? Especially if they don't have a box in like the current one does.

Yeah, to be fair, it would be around 14,000 - including the corners. 

The City stand when finished in 1986 had a capacity of 3016.

The 2 infills built in the early 90's held 600 each at the time.

McNastys 2010 minor capacity increases (for those of the "little ole Norwich" tilt, just question how many clubs have increased capacity just after leaving the 3rd Division?) included another row at the front of the City stand and a reorganisation of aisles in the Snakepit. The increases in these areas added 2-300 extra seats I believe.

11 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

I just dread to think 0 from 0 (Main Stand) and you have 0how Bill's quarantine is going if he's getting so worked up about this. The dishwasher will surely be through the neighbour's front window by now

so you post up innaccurate figures and it is my fault... dear me

the figures still stand,

remove 4000

and you have 23,200

the height of any new stand is determined by how far it can extend on the old Carrow Road - that is no more pendantic than pointing out tomorrow is Wednesday

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

the figures still stand,

remove 4000

and you have 23,200

the height of any new stand is determined by how far it can extend on the old Carrow Road - that is no more pendantic than pointing out tomorrow is Wednesday

But why do you think it would need 3 tiers?

Just now, kingsway said:

The 2 infills built in the early 90's held 600 each at the time.

McNastys 2010 minor capacity increases (for those of the "little ole Norwich" tilt, just question how many clubs have increased capacity just after leaving the 3rd Division?) included another row at the front of the City stand and a reorganisation of aisles in the Snakepit. The increases in these areas added 2-300 extra seats I believe.

oh dear

not quite the 5000, or the 2000 each cornerfill holds - but actually pretty much spot on to what I said

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Expansion may not be necessary after the dark angel has passed over us.😷

On the contrary.....Expansion may be necessary because a large percentage of supporters will have become jabba the pizza huts, couch potatoes & lounge lizards....whilst guzzling on fat coke and comfort and boredom gorging on panic bought gargantuan amounts of foodstuffs.....Therefore resulting in their carcasses being bigger than Alan Brazil's......Requiring wider turnstiles, entrance doors and normal sized plastic pews being replaced with angle iron structured XXXL super sized seats that will have to be installed to accommodate those returning ever expanding portly Canary fans..... 

9 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

based on the number of seats one tier now currently holds

if it is to be the one stand as with the southstand it would only be 8000 seats ie 4000 extra = 3100

9 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

I'm going with the The Goombay Dance Band....and say 'Seven Tiers'.....

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

based on the number of seats one tier now currently holds

if it is to be the one stand as with the southstand it would only be 8000 seats ie 4000 extra = 3100

But I don't think that includes the infills - which if they were the same as the one the southstand currently has would add another 3.4k

15 minutes ago, kingsway said:

My god , 3016 , that really was a pathetic effort wasn’t it . 
Anyone have any idea what the old pre fire stand held ? 5/6000 ? 

24 minutes ago, Bill said:

the figures still stand,

remove 4000

and you have 23,200

Christ, I never said they were gospel. In fact, I said where they were from. I was going on the assumption that the City stand was between 4500 - 5000.

I never thought it would be as low as 3000, however.

13 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

Christ, I never said they were gospel. In fact, I said where they were from. I was going on the assumption that the City stand was between 4500 - 5000.

I never thought it would be as low as 3000, however.

Don't ask me where I got these figures Darth, because to be honest I can't remember, but I did try and work out the capacity of each stand a few years back and came up with the following:

City Stand: 4350 (with in-fills)

South Stand: 8450

River End: 6350

Barclay: 6300

Community bit: 1700

Total: 27,150 so a little off but in the ball park.

OTBC

• Like 1

If the Premier and EFL organisations faced reality and look how much sport is now being shifted to the autumn or even to next year, they could null and void this season, and likely the season that starts in August to. Shame City didnt have a stand already planned and passed, waiting to be built...as there will be no football for the next 6 months, likely longer.

Still cant see why some think of 35k to 40k capacity..i think around 32k would likely be a more realistic capacity.

6 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

If the Premier and EFL organisations faced reality and look how much sport is now being shifted to the autumn or even to next year, they could null and void this season, and likely the season that starts in August to. Shame City didnt have a stand already planned and passed, waiting to be built...as there will be no football for the next 6 months, likely longer.

Still cant see why some think of 35k to 40k capacity..i think around 32k would likely be a more realistic capacity.

A very sensible and likely figure. I would be surprised if any foreseeable expansion went beyond increasing capacity to 33,000.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

My god , 3016 , that really was a pathetic effort wasn’t it . 
Anyone have any idea what the old pre fire stand held ? 5/6000 ? 

In them days 18,000 was a bumper crowd and Robert Chase probably didn't want the extra expense of 2-3000 more seats. In fact Boardroom arguments over the new stand in 1985 was why Arthur South quit. The stand does have the foundations for an upper tier.

Ever since the Worthy era the League 2 sized City stand has looked out of place with its low capacity.

I think the old City stand which burnt down in 1984 held about 4500-5500. Until the mid 60s this stand had a lower tier of standing that were first converted to bench seats then the whole stand was realigned with one tier of plastic seats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bill said:

based on the number of seats one tier now currently holds if it is to be the one stand as with the southstand it would only be 8000 seats ie 4000 extra = 3100

I think you are forgetting the number of supporters that can be suspended on wires between the South Stand and the new City Stand. Just have to make the rooflines the same hight so they don't slide over to the same side by half time.  These will be discounted "family tickets" of course, ideal for the young un's. 

• Haha 1