TIL 1010

Stadium Expansion Latest.

9 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Financing it is easy - sell Ben Godfrey. 

As gut-wrenching as it may be, this is the solution. If we stay up, there'll be a lot of interest in Godfrey, Aarons, Lewis and Buendia to the point where we'll naturally have to let a couple go anyway, so if we sell any two of those four we'll raise £50m+ easily, of which £30m can be put towards the stand without bogging ourselves down with debt and the rest can buy their replacements.

39 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

As gut-wrenching as it may be, this is the solution. If we stay up, there'll be a lot of interest in Godfrey, Aarons, Lewis and Buendia to the point where we'll naturally have to let a couple go anyway, so if we sell any two of those four we'll raise £50m+ easily, of which £30m can be put towards the stand without bogging ourselves down with debt and the rest can buy their replacements.

Can you imagine the response if we then were relegated?

Five years consecutively in the prem and then we can start thinking about it seriously. Before then it’s too expensive, unfeasible (nowhere to move people) and a little bit risky. If we do all of this then go down and have five years finishing mid table in the championship, we probably wouldn’t even fill it week in week out.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I was actually thinking if we go down, sell Godfrey, reinvest in both the squad and the stadium for a renewed assault on the Prem.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Can you imagine the response if we then were relegated?

It wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as the response would be if we spunked the money on the latest Naismith or van Wolfswinkel and got relegated anyway. At least in this scenario we've got something to show for our time in the Premier League which will be an asset for decades to come, rather than someone we can't shift and will be a burden for the next couple of years. 

I mentioned earlier this week in another thread that when a sensible person wins the lottery they'll invest a large portion of the money so they've got something to show for it long term and could potentially make them even more money, such as through business investments or property. Someone with a more shortsighted view will probably spend all the money on flashy things right now, such as parties, cars, designer clothes etc. but will have little to show for it in five/ten years.

I think the same logic applies here. Obviously we can have a little fun with the money we get from the Premier League TV deal and the £40m windfalls we get for players who cost us hardly anything, but I think a decent chunk of that needs to be invested in the long-term future of the club.

This is assuming we stay up of course, otherwise that will be our ticket in the washing machine.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Didn't realise away allocation was as a high as 10%. Do we really get about 7500 tickets for Old Trafford? 

Anyway a season ticket loan/buy back scheme might help bridge the gap. I realise the club already does this on a game by game basis but for a piffling £10 credit it's hardly worth the effort. There may be some fans who can't or don't want to commit for and entire season who may be willing to give up their seat during the transition period.

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

It's only 10% up to 30,000 capacity. Higher than that it's capped at 3,000.

What Nutty said. 

Its a minimum of 10% up to 3,000.

As our capacity is under 30,000 it is 10% of our capacity, about 2700.

For Man Utd it is 3,000.

Get out of the EU and we can once again establish our own rules on safety.

Safe standing would give the current stadium a 36,000 capacity with seats enough for the fossils in the main stand.

Cheaper to implement than increasing on present infrastructure and would allow for cheaper tickets.

The only snag is if Snowflakes can stand upright for a 105 minutes 🙃

8 hours ago, Surfer said:

Financing it is easy - sell Ben Godfrey. 

The sale of Kevin Reeves paid for the River End. I would think that Max and Ben will move on next summer which will provide enough money for a new stand and replacements. It makes far more sense than borrowing the money. 

5 hours ago, Jools said:

Safe standing would give the current stadium a 36,000 capacity with seats enough for the fossils in the main stand.

Cheaper to implement than increasing on present infrastructure and would allow for cheaper tickets.

Have you been chatting to Ian Holloway?

This talk of selling players to finance stadium expansion is not helpful imo.  There are other ways of financing it and any money from player sales should as much as possible go into getting new players and strengthening the squad. I've no idea how much extending the city stand would cost, but TV money should pay for a good chunk of it, especially if we stay up one or two seasons. 

I'd rather not think of selling players on anyway, I know players are assets, but really they are people first and commodities second. If any are sold on at any stage, then so be it, but I would like to think of them as Norwich players in the here and now rather than as possible tickets to a new stand.

6 hours ago, Jools said:

Safe standing is allowed in EU countries, it's not allowed for UEFA matches.

Jools is an idiot.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Jools said:

Ignoring the first and last paragraphs which are obviously only there to get bites (well done Jools for catching a couple), the other two paragraphs actually have some merit.

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Ignoring the first and last paragraphs which are obviously only there to get bites (well done Jools for catching a couple), the other two paragraphs actually have some merit.

No, he really is this stupid.

58 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

This talk of selling players to finance stadium expansion is not helpful imo.  There are other ways of financing it and any money from player sales should as much as possible go into getting new players and strengthening the squad. I've no idea how much extending the city stand would cost, but TV money should pay for a good chunk of it, especially if we stay up one or two seasons. 

I'd rather not think of selling players on anyway, I know players are assets, but really they are people first and commodities second. If any are sold on at any stage, then so be it, but I would like to think of them as Norwich players in the here and now rather than as possible tickets to a new stand.

It may not be helpful....but the cost of footballers has outpaced the cost of construction over the last few years...and as a 'self funded' club would appear to be as likely a way to fund it as any.

2 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

The River End was rebuilt shortly after selling Kevin Reeves.

....and the Barclay after the sale of Robert Fleck

.....maybe best not to go into too much detail about how the funds were raised (or razed?!) for the City stand !?

7 hours ago, Jools said:

Safe standing does not increase capacity.

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

No, he really is this stupid.

You're talking stupidity down, believe in it harder and it will come true. We've had enough of experts with their "facts", we need to move to a unicorn-based reality.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Money is money. Whether it comes from player sales, TV, ticket sales or a line of Delia-branded sherry,  once it hits our bank account, it makes no difference where it came from.

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Money is money. Whether it comes from player sales, TV, ticket sales or a line of Delia-branded sherry,  once it hits our bank account, it makes no difference where it came from.

Tell that to the taxman. 

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Safe standing does not increase capacity.

Having just looked it up, you're right, Til --- How about safe-ish standing and I'll sit on your shoulders 😜

Oh, Purple one on the EU thread --- At least I can admit when I'm wrong --- Shame you Lefty Remainiacs can never muster the humility 🤥

Edited by Jools
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jools said:

FO!  The current safety laws are pure UK - nothing to do with EU.  This fallacy you spreads is pathetic!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

FO!  The current safety laws are pure UK - nothing to do with EU.  This fallacy you spreads is pathetic!

Really? I thought it was common knowledge that EU health and safety legislation impacts on every aspect of our lives including football...

It's obviously not common knowledge in Sheffield 🙃

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

That doesn't make sense. If you use the tv money it reduces the amount you have to spend on players with the same end result. The one thing we mustn't do is borrow to do it.

You are also being a bit naive if you think that Ben, Max and Emi see their long term futures here. 

58 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You are also being a bit naive if you think that Ben, Max and Emi see their long term futures here. 

No I don't think that. But whatever their long term careers may be, they will be focussing on us, not the future and I prefer to think of them as Norwich players not future manutd (or wherever) players. 

28 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No I don't think that. But whatever their long term careers may be, they will be focussing on us, not the future and I prefer to think of them as Norwich players not future manutd (or wherever) players. 

If they go anywhere , Man Utd is a great Club to sell to, they pay way over the odds for players because of who they are.

30 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

You're right in the sense that they'll be giving 100% every day that they're here and we have to think of them as Norwich players and nothing else.

But any business needs to plan long-term, and we know that Godfrey, Aarons and Buendia will be sold on within a couple of years for a combined total of about £100m. We need to think about what we're going to do with that money and if we survive this season then I'd say we expand the stadium and use the rest to buy replacements. Chances are we'd struggle to attract three top class £30m players anyway, and if we did, there's no guarantee they'd be as good as the ones we lost. 

Obviously from my earlier comments I agree with that, but I'd still hold on to that view if we were relegated. If we did have a drop in attendance (although I think that unlikely) we'd have space to move City Stand fans to other areas of the ground, and there is no way we'd be spending all the monies raised from player sales on replacements. So what else would we do with the excess monies? Build a stand and build the next generation fan base would be a worthy outcome from even one season in the PL.

Edited by Surfer

19 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Obviously from my earlier comments I agree with that, but I'd still hold on to that view if we were relegated. If we did have a drop in attendance (although I think that unlikely) we'd have space to move City Stand fans to other areas of the ground, and there is no way we'd be spending all the monies raised from player sales on replacements. So what else would we do with the excess monies? Build a stand and build the next generation fan base would be a worthy outcome from even one season in the PL.

A couple of very good points, actually.