Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Club Hands Out Three year Bans.

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

the question not raised is how did he get the ticket - are we to accept that ST's re being sold to who knows who on a regular basis - as aside from the financial aspects it means the club might have a problem cjecking up on who that person was at a later date, or whether he is banned from grounds etc

You might as well say that it is ok to be in a bank wearing a mask because you are not causing trouble - a rather silly defence I would suggest

How he got the ticket is a different question. As for comparing to a bank robber....well as I said....it's supposed to be sport.

35 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Of course I wouldn't like it but I have done it myself at away matches on occasion.  I have sat with relatives who support other clubs in their home sections...was that wrong?  I've sat with Man Utd supporters at Old Trafford because the away section was sold out. If the system allows it to happen, it will happen.

In reality the issue only becomes an actual problem if the away fan or fans in the home section cause problems by being provocative or annoying to other fans.  In this case we are told the fan was doing nothing wrong, he just wasn't cheering or applauding. Well in my book that is someone just minding their own business - and as the system somehow allowed him to be there, there should not have been a problem.

All that needs to be done is to show a bit of common sense. Just because you are a home supporter in a home section does not give you the right to start confronting other fans over their allegiance. If a fan is causing a problem or likely to incite trouble by flaunting his support for the away team then fair enough, but it is not a war zone, it is a football match. It's a sport.

I think a lot of this will depend on where you sit, I am in the City stand near to the Snake Pit and any away fan  in that area who sits on his hands when we score and gives even the slightest indication of pleasure when we concede is pretty quickly outed by the fans and the stewards normally eject them, presumably because of the risk of trouble that may potentially follow.

Edited by Van wink

1 hour ago, JB said:

Do you not think that when you have away fans popping up in the home end, this is taking up a Norwich fan's chance to get a ticket? That surely isn't right, so in my view, there isn't anything wrong with finding out which side they're supporting and if they're in the home section as an away fan, seek to get them ejected via the right means, ie a steward. As for any violence to deal with this situation, then that of course isn't right.

Our stewards are pretty awful anyway to be honest. Back in the Worthy Premier League season in 2004/05 we were playing Tottenham and a Spurs fan popped up in the River End a few rows in front of me and started celebrating when they scored. I was only 18 or 19 at the time and if I'm being honest was a bit of a chav so I started "engaging" with him only to be told by the nearest steward to calm down (quite reasonably) or get ejected (not quite so reasonable) but then proceeded to say absolutely nothing to the Spurs fan. So then I turned my ire on the steward asking him why he was threatening to eject me but say nothing to the Spurs fan.

He then moved towards me, presumably to eject me, but all the other fans around me then got involved telling him to not be such an idiot and deal with the Spurs fan instead, which he reluctantly did. Always good when a steward needs to be told how to do his job by the fans he is supposed to be stewarding.

Strange that the article is so vague about what actually happened-you would think that all concerned would want to make it very clear that away fans in the home end are not tolerated.

Only done it myself twice, wouldn't do it again.

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Our stewards are pretty awful anyway to be honest. Back in the Worthy Premier League season in 2004/05 we were playing Tottenham and a Spurs fan popped up in the River End a few rows in front of me and started celebrating when they scored. I was only 18 or 19 at the time and if I'm being honest was a bit of a chav so I started "engaging" with him only to be told by the nearest steward to calm down (quite reasonably) or get ejected (not quite so reasonable) but then proceeded to say absolutely nothing to the Spurs fan. So then I turned my ire on the steward asking him why he was threatening to eject me but say nothing to the Spurs fan.

He then moved towards me, presumably to eject me, but all the other fans around me then got involved telling him to not be such an idiot and deal with the Spurs fan instead, which he reluctantly did. Always good when a steward needs to be told how to do his job by the fans he is supposed to be stewarding.

What?

You say they ARE awful, then use a reference to 15 years ago?

That's a really weak backup to having a bit of a pop at them...

The ones around me are pretty good to be honest - currently, in 2019.

14 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I didn't say it was right that supporters get in with home fans, just that if he wasn't causing a problem, leave him alone. It's not that difficult a concept.

I don't agree with away fans sitting in the home area either but our fans do it too,  I've heard of 2/3 who are going to be in the Bournemouth home end

22 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

What?

Yes I am.

And good for you.

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I’ve seen a pretty much identical situation with a guy wearing a Liverpool shirt when we lost 3-4 a couple of seasons ago, what’s the point of having the signs up if the stewards clearly don’t want to get involved ?

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

Strange that the article is so vague about what actually happened-you would think that all concerned would want to make it very clear that away fans in the home end are not tolerated.

Only done it myself twice, wouldn't do it again.

A fair bit of the clubs statement is around inclusion etc, makes you wonder if it wasn’t so much about one of them supporting Man City, but what was said at the time.

2 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

What?

The ones around me are pretty good to be honest  👍

6 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Was that in the upper tier? If so, I think I was one of the other people leaping to your defence!

20 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

I know one of the men in the 'altercation'. He said to the other 'norwich fan' you're a man city fan arent you as he didnt get in on any chants or celebrate after the first goal. So the other man said I'm from norwich so what does it matter. Then he tried to attack the guy I know very well, they fell down a few rows of seats and then the man city fan BIT the norwich fan and left a massive bruise on him. The norwich fan walked down to the turnstile to talk to stewards as they saw it, then got told he was going to go to Wymondham for questioning. Then after that he got told he could get done for affray when he did nothing. The police released him 22 hours later with no charge. He has 14 days to appeal the decision. If NCFC dont agree with the events he tells them then they can extend his ban.

Call me cynical but I suspect it would have lot more two sided than that, e.g. a lot more said and done by the Norwich fan to result in an attack. 

But I do understand why you would be bias. Let me guess, your Norwich mate persisted in trying to get the bloke out despite the fact that he wasn't causing any trouble and trying his hardest not to identify himself as a Man City fan?

If the Man City fan was keeping himself to himself then it sounds very much like your mate instigated this situation by being a nosey and confrontational helmet. 

I've sat in the wrong end to watch Norwich, almost did it at Burnley. As long as I'm as quiet as a mouse and not wearing colours I could reasonably expect not to have somebody try and pick on me.

Vigilante mate / wannabe head steward probably deserves his ban, good decision by the club. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

11 hours ago, JB said:

Do you not think that when you have away fans popping up in the home end, this is taking up a Norwich fan's chance to get a ticket? That surely isn't right, so in my view, there isn't anything wrong with finding out which side they're supporting and if they're in the home section as an away fan, seek to get them ejected via the right means, ie a steward. As for any violence to deal with this situation, then that of course isn't right.

Spot on however whenever we have reported away supporters ( lower Barclay ) the stewards just shrug their shoulders and won’t do anything.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Call me cynical but I suspect it would have lot more two sided than that, e.g. a lot more said and done by the Norwich fan to result in an attack. 

But I do understand why you would be bias. Let me guess, your Norwich mate persisted in trying to get the bloke out despite the fact that he wasn't causing any trouble and trying his hardest not to identify himself as a Man City fan?

If the Man City fan was keeping himself to himself then it sounds very much like your mate instigated this situation by being a nosey and confrontational helmet. 

I've sat in the wrong end to watch Norwich, almost did it at Burnley. As long as I'm as quiet as a mouse and not wearing colours I could reasonably expect not to have somebody try and pick on me.

Vigilante mate / wannabe head steward probably deserves his ban, good decision by the club. 

He just asked him if he was man city, a couple of people asked the same, but the man city fan took it out on my mate as he was directly next to him. But you know everything eh TVB.

1 hour ago, Ward 3 said:

He just asked him if he was man city, a couple of people asked the same, but the man city fan took it out on my mate as he was directly next to him. But you know everything eh TVB.

Sounds like he'd easily get the ban overturned on appeal then when all those other people submit written statements backing his version of events, may help if he includes the incident number after he has reported this apparently unprovoked assault to the police as a crime? 

If he's really completely innocent and the Man City fan is such an animal then this would surely be an appropriate course of action? Your account as a witness (assuming you are one?) would be better in a police statement than on the Pink'un messageboard?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

5 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Was that in the upper tier? If so, I think I was one of the other people leaping to your defence!

Nah, lower, in the corner near the South Stand. Must've been a few of the b@stards sneak in, and a few poor stewards not handling it well. 

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The club statement also said the two banned were both Norwich fans. Maybe it was a false accusation that caused the 'Man City fan' to get a bit pissy?

There's something more to this, I'm sure.

All a bit vague and odd tbh. If the "altercation" was due to an away fan being in the home end, then the following statement suggests there is a bit more to it. 

"Norwich City continues to operate a strict zero-tolerance policy on unacceptable and discriminatory behaviour. We are proud to be a diverse and inclusive club, whereby supporters from all backgrounds, cultures and communities feel safe and welcome at Carrow Road."

13 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

All a bit vague and odd tbh. If the "altercation" was due to an away fan being in the home end, then the following statement suggests there is a bit more to it. 

"Norwich City continues to operate a strict zero-tolerance policy on unacceptable and discriminatory behaviour. We are proud to be a diverse and inclusive club, whereby supporters from all backgrounds, cultures and communities feel safe and welcome at Carrow Road."

those being the operative words, I would suggest

Its entirely possible that the aggressor, knowing he was in the sh*t made some allegation that something different was said to try and get himself off the hook.

Surely there is CCTV coverage in the ground so if one party was clearly the aggressor it would be evident?