Sign in to follow this  
The Voice of the Thorpe Area

Ipswich is Worthy's last chance

Ok, if we get a result at Reading, it''d be a miracle. So, surely, if there is no win against Ipswich, that is it. I''ve read a post saying who will chant Worthy out before that game. I will not, there are too many minuses to list about this. But, if we do lose, or play very badly and draw, I will join in those chants after, or if we are deep into the 2nd half.

So to conclude, unless we beat Ipswich, or at least play very well (which I can''t see happening), he should go, and the Worthy out chants will be justified. Until then, let''s get behind the team (for the Ipswich game at least!).

If we get a result at Reading Worthy can afford to lose to Ipswich, tht sort of win buys a lot of credit.  Deano being sold also gives Worthy his excuse for the rest of the season - he said earlier in the month we can kiss play offs good bye of he is sold - its all stacking up to the inevitable fact that Worthy will not be removed.

The sale of Ashton was hardly his decision anyway.

Just to remember last time we played at Reading, top of the league of course, we were heading for a 0-0 draw until the ref stepped helpfully in and Mullers hit a beauty of a goal to clinch a 1-0 win at the death.

And last time Ipswich came to Carrow Rd, we were top of the league too (top of the league at Portaloo Road, as if anyone will ever forget), and played nothing like it in the first half, when they really should have gone in at least a goal or two up. But they didn''t, we came out more like it second half, and even when they got a dubious penalty to bring it back to 2-1 near the finish, Hucks went off and scored straight after to make it 3-1. Of course we haven''t got  Malky around this time to pop up with two goals to help us along.

I mention these games simply to remind us that you never do know what will happen, so while I don''t have a whole lot of optimism about these next games of Reading away and Ipswich home, we might surprise us! But yes, might is the word.

Okay then and who would you bring in? The grass is not always greener. Trust in the best man for the job ... he has proven it. We are re-building deal with it. 

[quote user="Konstantin Pobedonostsev"]Okay then and who would you bring in? The grass is not always greener. Trust in the best man for the job ... he has proven it. We are re-building deal with it. [/quote]

Firstly - Proven?

Ok, he used a decent squad to get us promoted but at that point me had the best team in the division and he didn''t have to do a lot at all. The Premiership season was a travesty no matter how you look at it, the "Little Norwich" mentailty gave our players no hope and the opposition a straight shot at us every time. Worthy''s tactical decisions were awful and he mis-used players throughout the season. This season, well, look at the league position. Look at the signings. Look at the squad.

Secondly - Rebuilding?

Reebuilding in my eyes means building something better from something bad. Worthy is doing the exact opposite. We have sold one of the best young propsects for English football this decade (mark my words, he''ll get at least 10 for West Ham this season), we have no midfield worthy (no pun intended) of the name, our defence is a joke (Goals Against) and we have aging or inexperienced strikers who cannot score to save their lives. All that, AND we have to ask Delia for 50k to buy Robinson???? 50K??? Where has all the money gone?? New stands are all very well, but at this rate and with this football being played no-one will want to sit in them!!!! 

Apologies but I had to stop reading at "the Premiership season was a travesty".

It is the real supporters who will SUPPORT their team, who have given them so much, who will support even when times are treacherous.

The premiership season was a travesty!! I''m a loyal supporter, I''ve been going regularly for 20 years but I can still say this.

IMHO Worthy is living on borrowed time & I don''t trust him to spend the Ashton money!

Get a grip McKenzie''s Debut!!! How was the Premier season a travesty?????????? After 9 years out of it we were one point from staying in it. We beat huge teams, we gave it our all, we scored some stunning goals, we filled Carrow Road to the rooftops ....... we sang Worthy''s praise game after game.

Who bought McKenzie and gave him his debut anyway? 20 years or 20 minutes it is irrelevant, support your team when they need your support most or buy a blue and white scarf.

PLEASE THINK!

Wasn''t going to get involved with this thread, but I feel I need to have my say.

The Premier season was a travesty.

It was the "little old Norwich" syndrome. We were beaten before we started and that was down to Worthington! We never started playing until the 2nd half in most games at the beginning of the season, hence we didn''t win for the first 14 games.

There was mismanagement of players throughout the season. (Helveg, Jonsson, Bentley, and Saffers.)

Playing of favourites and being too stubborn to see it. (Holt, Flem and Eddy)

Playing a full strength squad in a meaningless FA Cup tie and losing two players through injury (Helveg, Bentley) when we should have been concentrating on the league.

It was only when he had totally run out of ideas, and decided to throw in Shacks, Safri and play Helveg in his right position that we made a fist of it.

Then there was the great quote before the Fulham game "you''re not playing for your futures lads" so they turned up and played like it.

Look at West Ham and Wigan this season, they showed no fear and are winning games.

[quote user="Konstantin Pobedonostsev"]

Get a grip McKenzie''s Debut!!! How was the Premier season a travesty?????????? After 9 years out of it we were one point from staying in it. We beat huge teams, we gave it our all, we scored some stunning goals, we filled Carrow Road to the rooftops ....... we sang Worthy''s praise game after game.

Who bought McKenzie and gave him his debut anyway? 20 years or 20 minutes it is irrelevant, support your team when they need your support most or buy a blue and white scarf.

PLEASE THINK!

[/quote]

But with a different manager, we would have played different playeres, signed better players and i am sure we would have stayed up. Last season we had the base for a mid table premiership team but certain decisions for example constatnt changes, no striker till January etc etc cost us dear.

Sorry Meeky (and Canary Wundaboy) but you are ''totally and utterly wrong''. How do I know? I challenged Delia Smith on this very same ''Little Norwich'' point at the Diss forum and she soon made her opinion known!

You''re both right of course as so many other fans have shared the same opinion as we do. On virtually every pre match interview on Rodeo Norfolk, Worthy trotted out the same old tune.......''these are the matches you want to play in, these are the grounds you want to play at, I''ve told the lads to ''go out and enjoy it'' etc. etc. In itself, nothing wrong with that but NEVER ONCE did I hear him say anything inspirational like.....''we''ve worked damn hard for 9 years to get back to The Premier and we don''t want it be a one season wonder'', that kind of thing. As Isaid to Mrs Smith, I''m not saying there was no ''effort'' from either the players or manager but simply that psychologically the mindset of club and players  was to ''accept'' defeats as almost inevitable given the standard we were then facing. As you rightly say West Ham and Wigan have both adopted far more postive approaches. I said this to Delia and the Board at Diss. They became very defensive and mumbled a reply that .....''we haven''t got their money'' etc. They simply could not understand the point I was making!     

Our Board have done many very god things for our club but I honestly believe that they have no knowledge of football. How can they when those that were in place in 2000 tried to persuade Hamilton NOT to resign!!!  

I am sorry but I think you don''t know what you are talking about. If we had a different manager we almost certinaly WOULDN''T have got promoted in the first place as Worthy built the team!!!

We are not Wigan and West Ham. The money issue is a huge one look at the players both teams have brought in to ensure safety and look at what we could afford!!! Worthy was being intelligent and realistic. From being a struggling Division One team we were suddenly in the Premiership and doing better than a lot of teams that have been in that situation - Sunderland?.

Look at Palace, I bet you wouldn''t think last season was a travesty for them and they gave the whole "we are as hard as nails - no one likes us - we will just keep doing the dirty work and grind out points" attitude and solely relied on a striker who looked like he was running over hot coals whenever he entered the penalty area.

Be realistic ... the Premiership campaign was a dream come true, we gave it our all and we only fell just short by the tiniest of margins. I 100% know that if we had snatched an extra point somewhere (Blackburn at home, Everton away, United away, West Brom away, Palace away) and had stayed up there is no way you sour grapers would have called the season a travesty!!!!

PLEASE THINK!

[quote user="Konstantin Pobedonostsev"]

I am sorry but I think you don''t know what you are talking about. If we had a different manager we almost certinaly WOULDN''T have got promoted in the first place as Worthy built the team!!!

We are not Wigan and West Ham. The money issue is a huge one look at the players both teams have brought in to ensure safety and look at what we could afford!!! Worthy was being intelligent and realistic. From being a struggling Division One team we were suddenly in the Premiership and doing better than a lot of teams that have been in that situation - Sunderland?.

Look at Palace, I bet you wouldn''t think last season was a travesty for them and they gave the whole "we are as hard as nails - no one likes us - we will just keep doing the dirty work and grind out points" attitude and solely relied on a striker who looked like he was running over hot coals whenever he entered the penalty area.

Be realistic ... the Premiership campaign was a dream come true, we gave it our all and we only fell just short by the tiniest of margins. I 100% know that if we had snatched an extra point somewhere (Blackburn at home, Everton away, United away, West Brom away, Palace away) and had stayed up there is no way you sour grapers would have called the season a travesty!!!!

PLEASE THINK!

[/quote]

Konstantin, in any other previous premiership season we would have been relegated on that points tally with a huge margin to spare.  West Brom stayed up with the lowest points tally in any premiership season - it was their for the takeing - we FAILED and since then we have FAILED ABYSMALLY

The Premiership season was a travesty apart from the last few weeks , we were even compared to Swindon because it took us so long to win a game . Yes we came within a point of staying up but that was only because there were 3 teams equally as bad as us , with our points tally most seasons we would have been relegated with weeks to spare . Worthington looked so far out of his depth we should have had a lifegaurd in the dugout , crazy team selections all season long . And  now its all coming home to roost , the players he has signed this  season are taking us backwards at a fast pace , should Ipswich be his last chance ?  he should of went after 10 games this season , the damage is now done , it may well take years and years to put things right. I believe Ipswich will beat us  we are now that mediocre , if they do lets hope the Board finally  come to its senses.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

If we get a result at Reading Worthy can afford to lose to Ipswich, tht sort of win buys a lot of credit.  Deano being sold also gives Worthy his excuse for the rest of the season - he said earlier in the month we can kiss play offs good bye of he is sold - its all stacking up to the inevitable fact that Worthy will not be removed.

The sale of Ashton was hardly his decision anyway.

[/quote]

I seem to remember Worthington saying if we weren''t promoted this year there would be no excuses.....Isn''t that one, and before the end of the season too.  Remarkable foresight from our manager. 

You are right Gazza - no excuses except for injuries and lack of quality players available to sign and sale of top players;  shame our board cant see it and take the decision I think is needed to prevent another 8 years in this league.

Just as when we got relegated last time we have sold our best players and languished mid-table - bedding in for a rough ride seems confirmed with todays confirmation of extent of debts the club has...

Sorry to repeat myself but your arguments all fall apart with the simple fact that if we had gained an extra point along the way and you were watching Chelsea playing at Carrow Road this season YOU WOULDN''T THINK 2004-2005 WAS A TRAVESTY ... one point!!!

Konstantin  - the travesty is that IF Worthy had played the quality footballers instead of his faves for more of the season we would have picked up the couple of points (not 1 - that would have left us relegated on goal difference) needed to avoid relegation.

Points lost at Bham away, West Brom away, Villa, Blackburn, Palace at home, palace and soton away were lost opportunities for those extra points and in the ed we finished where our managerial mistakes deserved to take us.   He only played Helveg and Safri from Man U on to give them a chance to appear in the league - so he hardly sparked the revival rather chanced across the winning formula suggested by fans throughout the season. 

Konstantin  - the travesty is that IF Worthy had played the quality footballers instead of his faves for more of the season we would have picked up the couple of points (not 1 - that would have left us relegated on goal difference) needed to avoid relegation.

Points lost at Bham away, West Brom away, Villa, Blackburn, Palace at home, palace and soton away were lost opportunities for those extra points and in the ed we finished where our managerial mistakes deserved to take us.   He only played Helveg and Safri from Man U on to give them a chance to appear in the league - so he hardly sparked the revival rather chanced across the winning formula suggested by fans throughout the season. 

[/quote]spot on zipper, this was my frustration with worthy last year and by the end of the season I was a doubter. continuing to play holty although he had gone from 3 to 1 lungs, when all could see holt was struggling summed it up for me.  his refusal to try a defensive formation without fleming, when clearly he wasn''t upto it probably ensured we were relegated.  we scored alright last season, but couldn''t keep ''em out.  jewel has signed 2 experience prem centre halves, a classy french right back and they''re tight as a drum.  pardew signed gabidon, konchesky and carroll , good business and a defence good enough for the prem.  mcCarthy is trying the ambition with prudence policy - no signings in defence i believe.  Nuff said.

[/quote]

he even fluked upon mcveigh this season..... why is the pisswich match the next home game.... I just wanna vent my anger from the off!!!!  enough is enough, even if i am the only man shouting it it will be shouted WORTHY OUT!!