Sign in to follow this  
Mutley

Historic Top Division Table

Found this table v interesting: 

https://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_table/eng-premier-league/ 

Everton have played more games in the First Division/Premiership than anyone else. Liverpool lead the table on points gained closely followed by the gunners. 

We need to survive this season to overtake the boys from Suffolk in the amount of games played in the top flight.

Some teams in this table that you might  find v surprising if you’re under 30. 

Enjoy... 

I take issue with number 42, mk Dons have never been in the top flight. Wimbledon have, but that club no longer exists so should be classed like Darwen and Glossop... On topic though, surprised by the huge jump in number of games between Blackpool in 31 and Leicester in 25, almost 1000 matches!

8 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

I take issue with number 42, mk Dons have never been in the top flight. Wimbledon have, but that club no longer exists so should be classed like Darwen and Glossop... On topic though, surprised by the huge jump in number of games between Blackpool in 31 and Leicester in 25, almost 1000 matches!

I make you right

I thought MK Dons relinquished their claim on Wimbledons history, ie cup win etc

35 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

What’s the link between Wimbledon and Darwen/Glossop? 

The jump between 25th and 31st probably also links with Mutley’s point about surprising teams if you’re under 30. I’d say the top 30 on the list aren’t much of a surprise, but between 30 and 65 there are quite a few surprises! Oldham with equivalent of, what, ten years or so in the top flight? Lots of those 30-65 must have just had a one-off glittering spell decades ago.

2 hours ago, Mutley said:

We need to survive this season to overtake the boys from Suffolk in the amount of games played in the top flight.

Just a shame we need to average more than three points a game to beat their points per game total. A good run of five or six years staying up though and we should have more games and points than them!

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

What’s the link between Wimbledon and Darwen/Glossop? 

The jump between 25th and 31st probably also links with Mutley’s point about surprising teams if you’re under 30. I’d say the top 30 on the list aren’t much of a surprise, but between 30 and 65 there are quite a few surprises! Oldham with equivalent of, what, ten years or so in the top flight? Lots of those 30-65 must have just had a one-off glittering spell decades ago.

Just a shame we need to average more than three points a game to beat their points per game total. A good run of five or six years staying up though and we should have more games and points than them!

The link between them was that they are clubs that were in the top flight but no longer exist.

It wasn't so much the teams that were in that section, it was more the near cliff edge, plotted on a graph it would be a steady climb to 1000 matches, then a sudden jump followed by another steady climb from 2000 matches. I think the most surprising team on that list for me is actually Palace, i remember them being in the top flight from when I was a kid, and then they seem to have been relatively present in the premiership, yet they've only had 730 matches up there...

Glossop still exists - Glossop North End were never called that name in the top flight (according to Wikipedia), they’d already changed their name to just Glossop, and have since changed it to Glossop North End AFC. It’s the same club though, just name change. Darwen does seem to have ceased to exist and been completely reformed as Darwen AFC, so more comparable to Wimbledon/MK Dons.

I suppose my point was that the teams in the top half of that table have (mostly) been in and around the top flight for large parts of the last 25-30 years, so probably not surprising that they’ve always been regulars. Whereas below Leicester, most haven’t been regular top flight teams in the last 25-30 years, so chances are they probably just had a “good decade” at some point ages ago - if you weren’t born then you wouldn’t necessarily know they were ever any good,and it also explains why there’s a sudden drop - 30ish regular top flight sides plus 30ish others who have had more fleeting success.

For people 30 and under, Forest are perhaps a bit of a surprise - not been in the top flight for twenty years, but when you look back, they were pretty much permanent fixtures in the top flight from the mid 50s. I knew about their European cups but hadn’t realised they’d been in the top flight quite so long.

Thanks for your comments - I had to give my son and future son in law who are both aged 27 a few history lessons when I shared the table with them! 

I agree with the point re MK Dons - they shouldn’t really be in the list it should be Wimbledon. 

Sad to see someone like Bury FC in the list with over 800 games and no longer in existence. Notts County was a surprise to me having played more games than us in the top flight. That must have been a long time ago. 

Of course when a club came into existence needs to be factored into the table as well. And for you young uns, you’ve never had it so good really as we only made it into the top flight for the first time in 1972. 

This season we match Ipswich with 26 top flight seasons. Does this table include this season? Also the scum had more seasons in Division One when there were more than 20 teams and this would help explain the difference in the number of games played.

4 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

This season we match Ipswich with 26 top flight seasons. Does this table include this season? Also the scum had more seasons in Division One when there were more than 20 teams and this would help explain the difference in the number of games played.

I think that the table is bang up to date. Yes, for every Premiership season we lose out on four games (38) to all of the clubs in the old first division (42) days. Ipswich made it to the top flight about ten years before us explaining their extra games although as you say by the end of the season we will match them for seasons in there. 

Our next target is the points total.