Sign in to follow this  
Lewis NCFC

Turning attention to Villa

My starting 11 below for the Villa game (Providing none of the injured players make a miraculous recovery),

I personally think McClean has an important role on Saturday picking up players like McGinn and Grealish who like to find pockets between the lines.  If we can keep them quiet and dictate with our usual tempo and electric atmosphere we should be fine.

Last home game vs Man City was such an incredible high i'm hoping the lads can keep the same performance levels, a win against a relegation rival like Villa early in the season would obviously be a huge boost.

McGovern

Aarons  Amadou  Godfrey  Byram

McClean  Leitner

Buendia  Steipermann  Cantwell

Pukki

2 hours ago, Lewis NCFC said:

My starting 11 below for the Villa game (Providing none of the injured players make a miraculous recovery),

I personally think McClean has an important role on Saturday picking up players like McGinn and Grealish who like to find pockets between the lines.  If we can keep them quiet and dictate with our usual tempo and electric atmosphere we should be fine.

Last home game vs Man City was such an incredible high i'm hoping the lads can keep the same performance levels, a win against a relegation rival like Villa early in the season would obviously be a huge boost.

McGovern

Aarons  Amadou  Godfrey  Byram

McClean  Leitner

Buendia  Steipermann  Cantwell

Pukki

I agree assuming Lewis is unavailable.

Not that there's a lot of choice in most positions.

13 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I would move Amadou to midfield and recall Hanley to CB. 

As would many - long overdue, it’s odd it didn’t happen v Burnley and then at Palace, perhaps Hanley’s still not 100%. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

14 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I would move Amadou to midfield and recall Hanley to CB. 

I think that, and ’Heise or Bryam to replace Lewis’ are the main debating points. Then possibly ‘do we start with Stieps?’, but there’s not a lot of alternatives. Drmic hasn’t exactly shone so far.

19 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I think that, and ’Heise or Bryam to replace Lewis’ are the main debating points. Then possibly ‘do we start with Stieps?’, but there’s not a lot of alternatives. Drmic hasn’t exactly shone so far.

I pretty much agree with all of that. Personally I'd go with Hanley at the back and Amadou in midfield, Byram for Lewis with Aarons switching to left back and if Stiepermann is dropped I think the best option would be Roberts with Cantwell central. Although I'd keep faith with Stiepermann for now...

I’d also like to see Amadou into midfield, but Hanley is gamble who could cost a goal or two. Just throwing it out there, but Byram is over 6ft a decent defender with pace how about slotting him into a CB alongside Godfrey? Not sure if he’s ever played emergency CB before?

McGovern

Byram      Hanley     Godfrey     Aarons

McLean        Amadou

Buendia         Leitner        Cantwell

Pukki

Hard to see Heise being ready to start, although maybe at home. Stiepermann plays a crucial role in the team but perhaps something fresh is required. We look a bit 'soft in the middle' with Moritz deep (albeit plenty of defensive injuries) so give him a bit more freedom around the middle. Marco can come in with 25 still to play, although I still expect him to get the nod. Drmic needs pitch time at home to get up to the pace because (dare I say it) the Goat won't be available all the time. Roberts also offers something different. Beyond that, things look a bit thin at the moment. Such a shame we haven't had a proper chance to see if Vrancic can make an impact at this level yet. 

Looking at that back 4, would Villa be licking their lips I wonder. Might get away with it at home with a bit of defensive nous & discipline. If we lose this one, confidence might start to look a bit shaky and we've seen before where that leads. Onwards & upwards!

Not sure about Aarons to left back. He’d be inclined to cut in on to his right foot - part of what is so important about our full backs is that they stay out side and offer width where the rest of the attacking players all tend to work more through the centre.

I haven’t seen enough of Heise to comment, but if he doesn’t come in then I think we can safely say he’s not going to get much of a look I nand is likely to be replaced in the near future. I’d be happy with Bryam there though, possibly not getting forward so much and also becoming a three man defence, allowing Aarons to get forward more.

I suspect Byram which switch sides in order to cover Lewis if injured, as people have suggested above. Its surprising most people (local press) seem to think Heise is not up to the standard required for the Prem and might be a bit of a liability at the back. Im guessing we wont hear on Lewis injury until later this week.