Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Palace penalties

I felt at the time yesterday that the penalty was possibly a little harsh but there was some contact there so enough to understand why it wasn’t overturned. I still think that is the case although I do think the attacker played for it.

i was then amazed to see the stats today about the number of penalties Palace get. The most of any premier league  team over the last couple of seasons. That guy who took their penalty yesterday has taken more premier league penalties for Palace than Norwich City have had. And he only joined them in jan 2017.

now I know they will say that it’s because they have skilful wingers who get brought down but it’s clear to me that it’s a tactic they employ, playing for pens and generally going down very easily all over the pitch. Shame it seems to pay of for them, as it used to of course for that little cheat Johnson a few years ago. 

Sorry to be clear he’s taken more penalties for Palace since Jan 2017 than we have had in our entire time in the premier league. 

I remember seeing a stat around February that Milivojevic had taken 18 penalties in his two years and one month at Palace, whereas no other player has taken more than eight in the same timeframe. He's scored several more since.

Zaha is incredibly tricky and wins a lot of penalties. Regardless of if they play for penalties, how many of the 25 or so penalties that Palace have had in the last two-and-a-half seasons were unjust? I genuinely don't know as I haven't seen most of them, but it would be interesting to know. Chances are most of them were legit.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6316886-how-crystal-palace-have-made-winning-penalties-one-of-their-biggest-strengths

Roy maintains the penalties are won because Palace and Man Utd have players with incredible ball skills when they get into the box meaning they get brought down for penalties.

I would say that's only half the story.

I remember talking to Terry Allcock about this and he told the tale about when he arrived an Man City to coach with Ron Saunders in the early 70s. Terry said he was amazed to see their players practicing diving to win penalties.

My old nan used to say "practice makes perfect".

I also saw a couple of blatant dives by Palace players in the penalty box where the diver wasn't carded. That's pretty poor & can only encourage them further.

12 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I remember talking to Terry Allcock about this and he told the tale about when he arrived an Man City to coach with Ron Saunders in the early 70s. Terry said he was amazed to see their players practicing diving to win penalties.

That's odd because when reading the first post Francis Lee's name came to mind - days when the cameras did not have the close up, multi angled views we have now

and he was talked of as going over more times than Olver Reed walking home feom the pub

though at times Lee's attempts to win a penalty were far too blatant 😅

Edited by Bill

6 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Lee Won Pen.

them's were the days

Loved it when Norman Hunter belted him.

a clear example of Lees diving

followed by the fisticuffs

There was one very good angle from above shown ten minutes later on the international feed that showed the Palace player, knees buckling, going down prior to contact with Amadou. Still can’t expect VAR officials to consider all available information 

Edited by Jezzard
  • Like 1

this might suggest there is more to Jim's point

pick it up at 105min where Keromes goal was disallowed then spotty faced Wickham fouls, but no penalty

the sort of game where you would not be surprised if it was later shown than some sort of dodgy goings on had occured

9 hours ago, Jezzard said:

There was one very good angle from above shown ten minutes later on the international feed that showed the Palace player, knees buckling, going down prior to contact with Amadou. Still can’t expect VAR officials to consider all available information 

I think if you watch it again it’s clear that their player ensures he makes contact with Amadous outstretched leg rather than Amadou making contact with him. I think he deliberately played for the pen but as you say once there is contact VAR is not going to reverse anything as it’s not a blatant error. They were going down all over the shop. Clearly it’s a tactic they incorporate into their game and I hope people become aware of it and they stop getting so many soft penalties because frankly they wouldnt score too many goals without them.