Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

3 at the back

I think this may be the time to try this, we've got good wing backs, and two centre backs who can carry the ball and act as the sweeper. Hanley may be less exposed 

Cantwell isn't a natural winger so bring him inside.

The extra body in midfield could help us get a hold on games. 

It just feels like we've got the personnel to pull this off, even with the injury crisis. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Farke has already said this would have been an option had we had enough fit players.

Have you seen our injury list lately ?

Yes, it shows me we've got three fit centre backs.

The formation only requires somebody being dropped for Hanley, so what does the injury list have to do with it? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I think we're reaching the point where this could be a viable option away from home. The last three away games have seen us lose relatively comfortably without scoring a goal, so a slight tactical tweak could help.

There are quite a few reasons for this:

-Hanley's lack of pace and Amadou's desire to be proactive and take risks would both be covered by an extra man.

-Lewis and Aarons are both more than capable of playing as wing backs, arguably better suited as wing backs than full backs, and can contribute in the final third.

-Neither Buendia nor Cantwell are players who like getting chalk on their boots, and in this system there's less expectation on them to provide the width.

-Stiepermann isn't in form and his position would be the obvious choice to remove in order to add an extra centre back.

So yeah, I can see the merit in this.

Lets hope for some good news on Lewis this week. I always thought Heise looked more than capable of filling in. Hopefully we can get a positive next result without sustaining further injuries and we can start looking more positively about things.

3 at the back away from home seems a sensible suggestion.  I am concerned that Farke doesn't seem prepared to try anything different from Plan a.