Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

It’s not just injuries

Yes we have lots of injuries but this can become an excuse which doesn’t hold up to scrutiny. Watching yesterday I kept asking “which injured player would have changed our game and result?” 

Arguably Zimmo at CB would allow Amadou to stamp his presence in midfield. But beyond that I didn’t sense the injuries were relevant. Bottom line is that we were outmuscled by Palace and looked bereft of ideas with no plan B. 

The opinion of my Palace mates, who want us to do well, is that you can’t spend as little as we did in summer and expect to compete and that the lack of quality and size showed.

We are a still a champ side that plays attractive football but that will get beaten, 8 times out of 10, by an ugly Prem side that defends well. Yesterday was the perfect example 

Hernandez remains a big miss....he's still the only player we have who can run at the opposition with pace

...our team is set up for intricate approach play in and around the box....but if that doesnt work or when the opposition (inevitably) scout us and work us out, I'm not sure what else we have?

It was quite common knowledge that we wouldn't, and more importantly, couldn't spend our way to staying in this league. We were never going to suspend the club's idea of a self funding model just to appease a few fans and pundits.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Yes we have lots of injuries but this can become an excuse which doesn’t hold up to scrutiny. Watching yesterday I kept asking “which injured player would have changed our game and result?” 

Arguably Zimmo at CB would allow Amadou to stamp his presence in midfield. But beyond that I didn’t sense the injuries were relevant. Bottom line is that we were outmuscled by Palace and looked bereft of ideas with no plan B. 

The opinion of my Palace mates, who want us to do well, is that you can’t spend as little as we did in summer and expect to compete and that the lack of quality and size showed.

We are a still a champ side that plays attractive football but that will get beaten, 8 times out of 10, by an ugly Prem side that defends well. Yesterday was the perfect example 

Yeah, I wish we'd have spunked £40m on Iwobi like Everton, so we'd have that extra point😡.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I cannot understand when you get promoted it is apparently worth millions to the promoted club ,yet we had no money to spend ,cannot all be swallowed up by increased wages .

I would disagree with the OP, just my opinion but Zimbo alongside Godfrey with Amadou in front of them, Krul in goal with Hernandez back in the team - yeah, I’m pretty damn confident that would have made a massive difference indeed. And then you’ve still got the undeniable quality of Vrancic etc available to come on. I think only a crazy person would not see that as a massive improvement for our first 11.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I would disagree with the OP, just my opinion but Zimbo alongside Godfrey with Amadou in front of them, Krul in goal with Hernandez back in the team - yeah, I’m pretty damn confident that would have made a massive difference indeed. And then you’ve still got the undeniable quality of Vrancic etc available to come on. I think only a crazy person would not see that as a massive improvement for our first 11.

...Farke still has the option to put Amadou in midfield albeit with Hanley at the back....and seemed to have favoured Cantwell ahead of Hernandez ar rhe start of this season

I'm glad your Palace fans think that. Itll be all the more pleasing when we stay up.

If you dont think that Zimmerman, an actual holding midfielder option in Trybull, and the strength and pace of Hernandez wouldnt make a difference to us then you're on another planet. Oh, and not having to play our third choice goalkeeper..

Also, we didnt need a plan B today. We played well for the most part and at 1-0 had a few chances which in the prem, away from home, you need to do a bit better with.

• Like 1

What a lot of twaddle it is certainly the injuries to Zimmermann and Klose that is the primary reason we are shipping goals and losing games.  Also the loss of DM's is another reason.  Zimmermann was immense and would have been in the PL. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Spot on, 100% agreed.

A full NCFC squad would have far more points on the board by now. Just look how Zimmermann was playing before he was deliberately taken out of the game!

Vrancic would have found his rhythm and Hernandez would have scared teams home and away, and will still do this season. It is a massive shame we have this problem but get behind the team against Villa and who knows.

38 minutes ago, Yellowhammer said:

I cannot understand when you get promoted it is apparently worth millions to the promoted club ,yet we had no money to spend ,cannot all be swallowed up by increased wages .

As a club, we’ve chosen not to follow the Fulham/Villa approach as 1. We don’t have rich owners to back up the millions from promotion (which isn’t just simply handed over at the beginning season anyway) and 2. There’s absolutely no guarantee it’ll work. Fulham were a shambles and Villa are currently below us and have had an easier start.

Im more than happy with the clubs approach. And yes, it is about injuries.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

We were shipping goals before the injuries. 

We had injuries in this league, in defence before the season started. A fit back line to choose from (bearing in mind how effective Klosse was in the PL last time around) with Amadou, would have helped massively. 

I just can't see any justification for the view that the injuries aren't the difference. Injuries to the extent we have surely must make a difference. If the injuries cost us a couple of points then we'd be much where many optimistic people expect us to be at this stage. As it is we're still not bottom three.

5 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

We were shipping goals before the injuries. 

You were unusually quiet after Man City game. And newcastle...

We need to find some goals from midfield. I think Mario is a big miss based on his end of season form. 

“ it’s not just the injuries “

It is though, isn’t it? A fully fit squad going into this season with the belief, momentum and confidence continued through from last season would have fared ok in this league. The injuries have robbed us of key players and more importantly the cohesion that had been developed on the pitch. When they come back now, that momentum, confidence and cohesion will be gone

Edited by JF

No it’s not just injuries it’s a learning process, there’s a reason we play well against footballing sides and not so well against dull physical sides.

This league is the best league with the best players, even the lower teams have very good squads, with different styles, we have our style and I hope we stick with it, yes it leaves us vulnerable at times, especially without our best defenders available, but it also makes us a joy to watch.

Give it time and we will move forwards, we just need to make sure we get that 3 points next home game.

we lost 3 away in a row with 2-0 against middtable/low teams.

In this games we looked pretty average and not danger at all far away from goals and pts.

This is defenetly something to worry about simply because we need also some pts away from home to stay and if we far away to catch points against such a teams against who we will?

We are pretty "nice " team to play against when we play away so I say last week and must say again that we badly need to change approach to have chance for its in this away games.

Some one mentioned above that Man City game show we can be solid at the back and danger on counter.Its not exactly Farke way but we must try something different as badly need away pts soon as possible!

Inj players may be looking on paper can't improve drastically our play especially in attack but we are so flat with no any midfielder on the bench and no real rivalry for places.Week in week out we simply play who is fit enough (and also not so fit as seems every game we need to change some one coz is not ready to start)

next 3 home is key as villa ,watford and man utd all look beateble .Man utd have run of 4 away games this 10 day period(liverpool-partizan-norwich-chelsea) and  only hope is Ole to stay for our game:)

2 hours ago, Yellowhammer said:

It’s because you get it throughout the season and at the end. Plus there always seems to be an excuse. The owners are not wealthy enough at the end of the day.

2 hours ago, Yellowhammer said:

Have you been asleep for the last two years, so much has been achieved in putting the club back ' in order' and  restructuring virtually every part of its setup. That has cost money and will be worth much more to us in the long run than an expensive player  or two. When promoted unexpectedly under AN we spent a fair bit on Players and wages to no avail.  Now promoted,  again unexpectedly,  we have invested in the Club as a whole.  That's  who we are now, I'm ok with it, if any one isn't then there plenty of clubs splashing money around who would be totally underwhelmed to receive your support. 

• Like 4

I think it would help no end if bootsie had told us exactly what is "not just the injuries". Of course if that is why we're not top half and taking this league by storm I'd agree it's not just the injuries. But if it's why we're not 12th with a couple more points than we have then there's a fair chance it is just the injuries.

What is not just injuries? 

I would say we lack the physicality to compete against the big lumpy sides in the division. Yesterday was a case in point - we were bullied off the ball repeatedly and lost the midfield battles all game. 

Hence I believe a couple more physical midfield players in summer would have helped enormously. 

14 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Hence I believe a couple more physical midfield players in summer would have helped enormously. 

We have Trybull, Tettey and Amandou. Why would we buy two more?

There must be some reason Farke didn't play them there yesterday, can't think why. :classic_ohmy:

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I would say we lack the physicality to compete against the big lumpy sides in the division. Yesterday was a case in point - we were bullied off the ball repeatedly and lost the midfield battles all game. 

I get that. I'm just trying to establish what "it's" is. 

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Yeah we could have stocked up our central midfield even further and then had to deal with 3 or 4 'prem' players not getting first team football and all the off pitch stuff that comes with it.

Oh and if we were bullied off the ball repeatedly and lost all our midfield battles then you tend to have significantly less possession and opportunities than the opposition. That wasnt the case.

5 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

As a club, we’ve chosen not to follow the Fulham/Villa approach as 1

And atm we are above Villa so that says something good about us

Of course it's not just injuries. Nobody has suggested that it isn't. But you can't say that injuries are not making our task significantly more difficult. Yesterday for example we had no midfielders on the bench.