Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

20 points

Our position injury wise is almost unprecedented as a club and doesn't appear to be getting any better any time soon. However, I feel if we can amass at least 20 points by Christmas/the new year, we will see premiership football next season.

Are any of our team season long injuries? A number of key personnel will be back by the turn of the year if not before  

If this set of current team members can push on and hold on, we will be fine. Looking forward to Aston Villa and a hard earned 3 points. Support needs to stay strong and loud over this period of strife.

20 points and we will be fine.

I was aware Klose was probably out of contention but thought Onel was likely to be back with time to get back into the team.

Once we have most of the team back things will turn rapidly for us for the better.

I feel we have to adapt more to each game rather than rely on our style or become like the Alex Neil team that ran out of ideas. He may have said better to stick to his style(re newcastle match),  but he just wasn't successful in changing it. Currently I feel we will have 13 points by Christmas.  It's not that I don't have confidence in the team, but I think the competition knows how analysis us better.

Edited to add this. We are a good team no matter what.

Edited by KiwiScot

Can't see 14 points between now and Christmas, but hope I'm wrong and you're right.

Where are these 14 points coming from?

My pre-season forecast had us on 6 points after 7 games but obviously not in the way we achieved them.  That same forecast has a win against Villa next week and then draws against Bournemouth(a), Brighton (a), Watford, Southampton (a), Sheff Utd, Leicester (a) & Wolves.

Given current form we might expect to do better against Watford but not so well against Leicester.  Still don't see 20 points by Christmas though.  

Hopefully, you'll convince me I'm wrong.

43 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Onel and Klose are out for most of season I believe. Everyone else should be back by Jan

I thought Onel's injury was quoted as being 3 months out from the time that he did it.

If the Man City game has taught me anything it’s that we can win any game when at our best. Unfortunately we haven’t been at our best since or at any away game yet this season.

Therefore all the ‘how many points by this stage’ predictions etc and even result of an individual game, seem pointless. Who knows what’s going to happen!

4 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

If the Man City game has taught me anything it’s that we can win any game when at our best. Unfortunately we haven’t been at our best since or at any away game yet this season.

Therefore all the ‘how many points by this stage’ predictions etc and even result of an individual game, seem pointless. Who knows what’s going to happen!

Hopefully not.

We’ll have played 20 games by 1st January. Over half a season. If we’ve got 20 points at that stage, we’re just about on for the “magical” 40 point mark.

20 points at Christmas last season would have put you in 13th. The teams who went down were on 10 and 14. Burnley were on 12 and stayed up.

So yes, if we get to 20 points by Christmas or even new year the chances are we will stay up. 

The issue is getting the points. We’ve currently got six from what has been a fairly difficult opening seven games (virtually a point a game). There are 13 games between now and January - we need just over a point a game to get to 20 points. So we’re on track despite having a fairly difficult start.

Before January, we’ve got Villa twice, Sheff Utd, Southampton, Watford and Brighton. I think we’ll need 10 points from those six games, which I think is achievable.

Everton and Wolves aren’t looking great right now, Bournemouth are solid but probably don’t have the same physicality of players that have caused us problems against Burnley and Palace, Arsenal, Leicester, Man Utd and Spurs aren’t as scary as Man City, so I expect we’ll take maybe three or four points from those games.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I thought Onel's injury was quoted as being 3 months out from the time that he did it.

Think you're right, but having torn my meniscus, can say with some degree of certainty that he will be longer than 3 months to be in and around the first team picture. May be back in training in 3 months but don't see him playing any first team footy this side of Christmas - could be wrong of course.

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Think you're right, but having torn my meniscus, can say with some degree of certainty that he will be longer than 3 months to be in and around the first team picture. May be back in training in 3 months but don't see him playing any first team footy this side of Christmas - could be wrong of course.

Onel would've had a meniscectomy and will be back early November 👍

10 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

The Man City game involved us playing a very different style of football then we do normally. Is Farke willing to adapt to that when playing the likes of Villa and Bournemouth?

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

The Man City game involved us playing a very different style of football then we do normally. Is Farke willing to adapt to that when playing the likes of Villa and Bournemouth?

Agreed (though ‘very’ is debatable. It was most definitely our style, just curtailed slightly) and being discussed in the ‘looking after the ball’ thread