Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Our summer business

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Ever since Webber came in he's been up front about policy and how the money has been spent. So have Ben Kensell and Zoe Ward.When Stuart Webber talked about previous regimes peeing the PL money up the wall he was specifically talking about the club having nothing to show for it. He took pains to point out that nothing was spent on infrastructure at Colney or indeed at Carrow Road. All three were in favour of the canaries bond seeing the Colney upgrade as too important to wait for and obviously in favour of the way the bond would be paid back. They've all three been honest about spending money on infrastructure in the summer, a far cry from McNally's mantra that every penny had to go to the player budget. (Something we all supported at the time). So we know that the strip of land the other side of Carrow Road was brought. We don't know how much for but that is obviously the first part of looking to spend more on the stadium. So I don't see this changing and certainly not suddenly funding a Naismith if we find ourselves in the bottom three in January.

As for the rumour about the 15m player on deadline day, and yes it is an unsubstantiated rumour, but obviously if that deal fell through we couldn't then sign a couple of other players instead. 

Nutty, I was following it in L'Equipe and other French sites and I think it was pretty substantiated. I don't think it cost us getting another central defender, for example, in the way that the failure to land Koulibaly from Napoli ( assuming it was him) in that mishandled window did.

There we seemed to gamble everything on getting in a really high-class player, rather than settling for a bit of an upgrade, and when it fell through at the last minute we had no time to get in anyone at all, leaving us short.

My impression (only an impression) here is that we were happy with the squad as it was, including the defenders, but saw a chance to get in a really promising attacking player as a kind of luxury purchase. If it worked, fine. If it didn't, a shame but no more than that.

Edited by PurpleCanary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Likewise, because in only a few short games they’d not displaced Krul, Pukki and Aarons, in only their 276 minutes how on earth can you say otherwise? You’ve done this before with players being kept out of the side, as if it means they’re total failures and I find that quite bizarre. Never easy just coming off the bench, but Swiss international Drmic got on the scoresheet the other day with just 6 minutes to play, Fahrmann looked very good at Palace before his injury and it’s no secret the Champions League regular is held in high pedigree in Germany, and as for Byram, he was superb against Man City. And crucially none of them have played with any match sharpness whatsoever, so based on the evidence above, I’d say those posters that think these are fantastic £ for £ additions are looking to be far closer to the mark than yourself. 

Forgive me as I am sure Fahrmann is a good goalkeeper and he has a certain pedigree but how exactly did he "look very good at Palace before his injury"? Are you referring to his nice hair or something because I don't think he really had anything to do in terms of saving shots or claiming crosses etc. He nearly got a hand on the penalty admittedly  and I can remember one slight overly dramatic parry from a longish shot but that attempted save and picking the ball out of the net is more or less the extent of his afternoon's work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, king canary said:

I'm not questioning the wisdom of the decision- I'm questioning the idea that it was Webber's decision to make. He runs the sporting side of the club not the entire thing.

Maybe whoever suggested that it was  Webbers idea can answer that, I can't, cos I didn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Maybe whoever suggested that it was  Webbers idea can answer that, I can't, cos I didn't. 

Oh ok. What on earth did this mean then?

 
 
 
 
 
 
4
19 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Sure, but as he is in charge of the overall strategy , then he will have dictated the approach ,as in settling debts, future wage structure etc. and exactly what monies we were prepared to risk on which players. 

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, here we go, if you really feel then need to get it explained. In order to carry out his job properly  SW will have needed exactly  what funds were available  for him to work with.  This would mean a bit of work by the bean counters, figuring out , once any debts we had, that could be cleared, were cleared. Leaving  a clearer picture of what funds are available for footy biz. I made no mention of Colney into my post,  you did that. So I'm at a loss as to what bone of contention  you are chasing. Sorry that I cant help continue  this discussion.  Maybe someone will actually write something that you can discuss with them, because I really cant argue about something I didn't say,Write or even think. Cheers.

Edited by wcorkcanary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Ok, here we go, if you really feel then need to get it explained. In order to carry out his job properly  SW will have needed exactly  what funds were available  for him to work with.  This would mean a bit of work by the bean counters, figuring out , once any debts we had, that could be cleared, were cleared. Leaving  a clearer picture of what funds are available for footy biz. I made no mention of Colney into my post,  you did that. So I'm at a loss as to what bone of contention  you are chasing. Sorry that I cant help continue  this discussion.  Maybe someone will actually write something that you can discuss with them, because I really cant argue about something I didn't say,Write or even think. Cheers.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting but you challenged the idea Webber didn't set his own budgets and then told me he was in charge of overall strategy including 'settling debts.' What was paying back the Colney money early other than 'settling debts?'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, king canary said:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting but you challenged the idea Webber didn't set his own budgets and then told me he was in charge of overall strategy including 'settling debts.' What was paying back the Colney money early other than 'settling debts?'

I think you may well be misinterpreting what I was getting at .But as I  never studied the fine art of splitting hairs at university I am really  confused as to what has got you  in such a lather. I'm sure you are right, whatever  your point is. Especially  with reference to Colney, I said debt, you assumed I meant Colney,  I didnt. I meant any debt which needed settling while we have some money .Take it easy on the trigger finger  until you find a bona fide target. I am not going to discuss  this any further as it is now tedious.  I am fully behind SW and co. And not really that interested in who does what and when, so long as things get done right and on time. FWIW, I would rather  the club spent 5 mill on infrastructure,  incl Conley  , than on a player that at the time no one knew we might need. Cheers  again and( hopefully) bye .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
17
1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

I think you may well be misinterpreting what I was getting at .But as I  never studied the fine art of splitting hairs at university I am really  confused as to what has got you  in such a lather. I'm sure you are right, whatever  your point is. Especially  with reference to Colney, I said debt, you assumed I meant Colney,  I didnt. I meant any debt which needed settling while we have some money .Take it easy on the trigger finger  until you find a bona fide target. I am not going to discuss  this any further as it is now tedious.  I am fully behind SW and co. And not really that interested in who does what and when, so long as things get done right and on time. FWIW, I would rather  the club spent 5 mill on infrastructure,  incl Conley  , than on a player that at the time no one knew we might need. Cheers  again and( hopefully) bye .

Apologies if you think I'm getting at you somehow- it isn't my intention. 

I personally don't see how I'm splitting hairs. The reason I mention Colney is that the clearest example of settling debts that I can recall from this past summer. All my point has been is that the restrictions and budgets he works with are set for him, not something he chooses.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Forgive me as I am sure Fahrmann is a good goalkeeper and he has a certain pedigree but how exactly did he "look very good at Palace before his injury"? Are you referring to his nice hair or something because I don't think he really had anything to do in terms of saving shots or claiming crosses etc. He nearly got a hand on the penalty admittedly  and I can remember one slight overly dramatic parry from a longish shot but that attempted save and picking the ball out of the net is more or less the extent of his afternoon's work.

More to goalkeeping than saving a multitude of shots and claiming a zillion crosses - it’s the little details as well and I for one thought he looked very assured in all aspects of his game. And yes, he does have a lovely barnet too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2019 at 08:37, king canary said:

Fahrmann, Drmic and Byram have played a total of 276 minutes between them so far. How you've decided they are all top class and fantastic additions based on that I  do not know.

Byram was only left out due to injury Aaron’s was not coming straight back in. Byram has already proved himself. Fahrmann came as first choice goalkeeper Krul had first shot. Krul proved he was back to his best so Fahrmann had to wait. Drmic just take my word he is not played due to injury for a long time and you are writing him off in the same way as many wrote off Krul. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2019 at 13:07, hogesar said:

Like I say, Fahrmann is a Champions League goalkeeper. 

What does this actually mean though?!? Because if just so happening to play some Champions League games qualifies you for that made up status, let's say qualifying rounds don't count (so must make group stages) then Kyle Lafferty is a "Champions League Striker".

Tim Krul would presumably be considered a "World Cup goalkeeper" because he made an appearance in the 2014 World Cup, which somewhat trump's Michael McGoverns status as a mere "European Championships goalkeeper". 

I didn't realise merely making an appearance in a competition bestows some sort of honourary status on you forever, is this a new thing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Fahrmann came as first choice goalkeeper Krul had first shot.

This doesn't make any sense. How can someone come in as first choice but not have first shot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What does this actually mean though?!? Because if just so happening to play some Champions League games qualifies you for that made up status, let's say qualifying rounds don't count (so must make group stages) then Kyle Lafferty is a "Champions League Striker".

Tim Krul would presumably be considered a "World Cup goalkeeper" because he made an appearance in the 2014 World Cup, which somewhat trump's Michael McGoverns status as a mere "European Championships goalkeeper". 

I didn't realise merely making an appearance in a competition bestows some sort of honourary status on you forever, is this a new thing? 

Don't know mate, maybe i'm just really weird and prefer to big up our players rather than put them down, no idea!

Certainly when we signed him a big deal was made by most fans about his experience and previous participation in the Champions League. Just because he's not played for us much doesn't make his previous any less so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hogesar said:

Don't know mate, maybe i'm just really weird and prefer to big up our players rather than put them down, no idea!

Certainly when we signed him a big deal was made by most fans about his experience and previous participation in the Champions League. Just because he's not played for us much doesn't make his previous any less so.

I'm not putting him down, I have no opinion on him whatsoever at this stage - I'm just hoping that World Cup goalkeeper Krul stays fit and in top form and we aren't forced into using him. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumping this as we continue to get basically zero from our bargain basement summer recruits.

3 months into the season, in a bad run of form and yet none of Drmic, Roberts, Byram or Fahrman look like staking a claim for a first team place. Out of form players like Buendia can't be given a break because the only players we can rotate him out for is an equally out of form Cantwell.

I really don't see how anyone can argue that the club has given us the best chance of being competitive in this league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 28/09/2019 at 18:35, king canary said:

Yes I realise injuries have hurt us but I can't help but feel we're being hamstring by our lack of quality additions over the summer.

Right now only Amadou looks like someone who could push for a starting berth with everyone fit and we've got too many positions with nobody pushing the current incumbent for the place. Steipermann is a great example- been hit and miss this season and seemed a prime candidate for extra competition or even and upgrade on. Yet our shoestring budget means Farke is left either to play an ineffective Drmic out of position or attempt to reinvent Srebeny from a League One center forward into a Premier League number 10. Add to that Roberts has yet to be trusted with more than the odd 20 minutes despite our only other real winger getting injured and we don't look like we've got an option to partner Pukki if we want to make a switch tactically.

I agree it has and will massively hamper Farke and Webber's attempts at keeping us up. Of that there is absolutely no argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, king canary said:

Bumping this as we continue to get basically zero from our bargain basement summer recruits.

3 months into the season, in a bad run of form and yet none of Drmic, Roberts, Byram or Fahrman look like staking a claim for a first team place. Out of form players like Buendia can't be given a break because the only players we can rotate him out for is an equally out of form Cantwell.

I really don't see how anyone can argue that the club has given us the best chance of being competitive in this league.

Isn’t this just getting REALLY tiresome now? It’s been discussed to the absolute death, we really do get the picture. Nothing can potentially change till January, and no amount of going around in circles will change that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Isn’t this just getting REALLY tiresome now? It’s been discussed to the absolute death, we really do get the picture. Nothing can potentially change till January, and no amount of going around in circles will change that. 

Are we applying the same rule to talking about our injuries?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, king canary said:

Bumping this as we continue to get basically zero from our bargain basement summer recruits.

3 months into the season, in a bad run of form and yet none of Drmic, Roberts, Byram or Fahrman look like staking a claim for a first team place. Out of form players like Buendia can't be given a break because the only players we can rotate him out for is an equally out of form Cantwell.

I really don't see how anyone can argue that the club has given us the best chance of being competitive in this league.

The club right now would probably tell you to at least wait till we're relegated to start claiming victories over them..

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, king canary said:

Are we applying the same rule to talking about our injuries?

The injuries are ever changing (the last transfer window is not), such is the nature of football, so I would imagine there’ll be plenty more (hopefully positive) conversation on here in the coming weeks and months as players either come back from the treatment room, or god forbid, suffer fresh setbacks. But last summers transfer business has surely been completely flogged to death, has been for ages, everyone’s had their say, and surely there isn’t anything new that can be said now? It’s a tiresome topic to keep raising, but if you want to go round in circles then each to their own I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

The injuries are ever changing (the last transfer window is not), such is the nature of football, so I would imagine there’ll be plenty more (hopefully positive) conversation on here in the coming weeks and months as players either come back from the treatment room, or god forbid, suffer fresh setbacks. But last summers transfer business has surely been completely flogged to death, has been for ages, everyone’s had their say, and surely there isn’t anything new that can be said now? It’s a tiresome topic to keep raising, but if you want to go round in circles then each to their own I guess. 

Our summer transfer business is no more irrelevant to discussions about our current form than saying 'if Klose/Zimmerman was fit the result would have been different.'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, king canary said:

Our summer transfer business is no more irrelevant to discussions about our current form than saying 'if Klose/Zimmerman was fit the result would have been different.'

You’re missing the point, but nevermind. Let me try another angle - what fresh information in November do you intend to bring to light about last summers transfer business? What is there new to talk about that hasn’t already been said by each and every one of us already?

And most importantly, were you complaining like this about our ‘lack of improvement‘ to the squad when the transfer window shut on August 8th? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

You’re missing the point, but nevermind. Let me try another angle - what fresh information in November do you intend to bring to light about last summers transfer business? What is there new to talk about that hasn’t already been said by each and every one of us already?

And most importantly, were you complaining like this about our ‘lack of improvement‘ to the squad when the transfer window shut on August 8th? 

Well I guess in part it is due to people like yourself telling me that the new signings needed more time and I was too quick to point out that they weren't having any impact. We're now a few games further down the line and the continued lack of impact is noteworthy.

Also your point about August 8th- I'm sure if I had complained I'd have been told I was an awful fan for writing off new signings before they'd had a chance. Can't win really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems Daniel is still interested in our summer & potential winter budget options - 

On potential January window business DF admitted “If I am really  honest, if we had the possibility we would have brought them already in the summer because we are not naive and if you can add some quality to stay in this league you should....., After having so many injuries you would have wanted to do more but in the summer to sign more quality it would have cost £10 million or £15 million to do that and it was not possible.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×