Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Our summer business

Yes I realise injuries have hurt us but I can't help but feel we're being hamstring by our lack of quality additions over the summer.

Right now only Amadou looks like someone who could push for a starting berth with everyone fit and we've got too many positions with nobody pushing the current incumbent for the place. Steipermann is a great example- been hit and miss this season and seemed a prime candidate for extra competition or even and upgrade on. Yet our shoestring budget means Farke is left either to play an ineffective Drmic out of position or attempt to reinvent Srebeny from a League One center forward into a Premier League number 10. Add to that Roberts has yet to be trusted with more than the odd 20 minutes despite our only other real winger getting injured and we don't look like we've got an option to partner Pukki if we want to make a switch tactically.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yes I realise injuries have hurt us but I can't help but feel we're being hamstring by our lack of quality additions over the summer.

Is that your entry for understatement of the year? 

And we could have spent a fortune on a replacement for Steips and he could have got injured in his first game. It’s Sod’s law.

You can’t really rationalise a run of injuries like this, we just have to keep going and work through it.

31 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Who was the French forward who we were close to getting in the summer?

Jean Claude Maurice. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

This is the worst injury crisis I can remember in recent history. I imagine it’s taking its toll. 

Surely though this should give our new signings a real chance to step up? So far only Amadou has.

I just feel that our season has been destroyed by these injuries. I honestly think a full squad with the momentum and confidence of last season behind them would have been ok. 

The money we have spent in keeping the squad was significant. People forget this . wages of 30k a week will be common. Miles more than last year plus bonuses. We decided to keep what we had and they have got injured. Nobody could have predicted this. 

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

Surely though this should give our new signings a real chance to step up? So far only Amadou has.

Well Fahrmann looked pretty decent for the 20 minutes before he went off injured...............😐🙄😥

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

One or two injuries give players a chance to step up

11/12 or whatever it is is just a crisis

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

I’d say that Byram has definitely stepped up, unlucky that we have Aarons who’s just very good for his age, Amadou definitely has cemented a place and Fahrmann certainly looks good enough when fit to take over Kingo,. I think we’re just still unlucky to have lost our two better CB which has restricted Amadou to take that Tettey type holding role.

I think well see a step change in our players by January, we just need enough points to be in contact with the other teams by then, we’ll be ok we have some great young players who learn fast.

• Like 1

Thought our summer business was pretty good, and importantly we've clearly managed to keep our playing and off-pitch cohesion together.

But an injury crisis such as ours would take its toll on relatively established prem clubs let alone a newly promoted one.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Jean Claude Maurice. 

That's the one. 15m or thereabouts as I remember but he bottled it on deadline day.

Alexis Claude-Maurice. He signed for Nice for £11.7 million 

• Like 1

Apparently he didn't come here because of the possibility of relegation. 

But the intent to sign him was there right up to the deadline. Let's hope Webber has a similar iron in the fire for January.

49 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

The money we have spent in keeping the squad was significant. People forget this . wages of 30k a week will be common. Miles more than last year plus bonuses. We decided to keep what we had and they have got injured. Nobody could have predicted this. 

Indeed. And there are other reasons why we could only strengthen to a very limited extent. That Claude-Maurice would not join us, because we could hardly promise him we would still be a top-tier side next season, is another highly relevant one.

Posters who after promotion accepted we could not possibly endanger ourselves financially by trying too hard to stay up now seem to have forgotten that overwhelming argument.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Apparently he didn't come here because of the possibility of relegation. 

But the intent to sign him was there right up to the deadline. Let's hope Webber has a similar iron in the fire for January.

Early days for him obviously but looking at his stats for Nice so far this season he hasn’t exactly impressed in a far weaker league.

Yes we have a lot of injuries, but once again very many of them, like last season, were sustained in training incidents or otherwise!

Those sustained in match situations are few and far between,  so is Farke’s  training regime too much and were some therefore avoidable?

4 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Yes we have a lot of injuries, but once again very many of them, like last season, were sustained in training incidents or otherwise!

Those sustained in match situations are few and far between,  so is Farke’s  training regime too much and were some therefore avoidable?

I doubt that actually stands up does it ? How many were injured in training ? 

6 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

I’m not convinced that is the case tbh 

So Hernandez fell down the stairs, Trybull not said to be impact, Vrancic training, Fahrmann training, Tetty groin not impact, Krul warm-up(!).

Leaving Klose and Zimmermann with injuries caused by impact.

But Mario and Tommy should be back soon.

I don’t think the Summer could’ve gone much better really. 

Bearing in mind our financial limitations I feel the players brought in have strengthened where needed whilst we’ve also kept the core and cohesion from last season together and continue to play our way.

Byram has been a steal and very very unlucky to have lost his place so quickly. Amadou looks class and is playing in the wrong position. Pukki was always going to be first name on the team sheet but Drmic is the best possible back up we could get for free. Roberts is an odd one as whenever I’ve seen him play looks a quality little player but there’s obviously something else going on for him not to be getting much game time. Is it that he simply doesn’t do the hard graft that Buendia etc get through (and which is so vital to how we play)? Fahrmann hasn’t played enough to assess but was another area that was rightly covered.

Injuries have set the tone for the season so far unfortunately and we are having to use the full squad already. Absolutely no one could have predicted the situation we find ourselves in and I don’t feel any blame can be attributed to summer dealings.

We all wanted certain areas covered, they were. We knew we had little money to spend, we got frees/loans and bargains. We wanted competition for places, we had that. Then the injuries started....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, hogesar said:

Thought our summer business was pretty good, and importantly we've clearly managed to keep our playing and off-pitch cohesion together.

But an injury crisis such as ours would take its toll on relatively established prem clubs let alone a newly promoted one.

Exactly  Hoggo. All we hear about man city is the injury crisis.  They have two major players out , from a much deeper  squad .

• Like 1

On 28/09/2019 at 21:33, JF said:

Alexis Claude-Maurice. He signed for Nice for £11.7 million 

Talking about Nice. We have just missed out on another of their promising young players, Lamine Diaby Fadiga, whom we could have signed for free.

Should have watched better.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/01/nice-sack-striker-lamine-diaby-fadiga-stealing-kasper-dolbergs-watch

Love these sort of ops deliberately ignoring the good signings. Byram is a massive signing and clearly little between him and Aaron’s. Wasn’t dropped to let Aaron’s back in was carrying a niggle. Farmhan is clearly a class goalkeeper but Krul had first shot and against all the odds stepped up to the heights of his Newcastle days. Amadou you have mentioned and he is clearly the sort of physique you require in the EPL. Drmic once match fit I am told is top class.

Overall fantastic business.

Byram, Drmic, Fahrmann and Roberts have barely played and Amadou hasn't shown what he can do in his preferred position yet. I'm not saying any of them are bad signings, but none of them have yet shown they are an improvement over what we already had. Decent back-up players but I couldn't say that was "fantastic business" tbh. It was fantastic that we have secured longer contracts on our key players and more latterly Webber, and that all obviously costs money.

In an ideal world I would have liked at least one signing who could have gone straight into the team and really was a distinct upgrade on the current squad. Maybe Amadou may turn out that way, here's hoping.

Anyway assuming we had funds for Claude-Maurice, hopefully we can strengthen in January.

On 12/10/2019 at 11:42, Well b back said:

Love these sort of ops deliberately ignoring the good signings. Byram is a massive signing and clearly little between him and Aaron’s. Wasn’t dropped to let Aaron’s back in was carrying a niggle. Farmhan is clearly a class goalkeeper but Krul had first shot and against all the odds stepped up to the heights of his Newcastle days. Amadou you have mentioned and he is clearly the sort of physique you require in the EPL. Drmic once match fit I am told is top class.

Overall fantastic business.

Fahrmann, Drmic and Byram have played a total of 276 minutes between them so far. How you've decided they are all top class and fantastic additions based on that I  do not know.