Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

*****Official match thread v C. Palace*****

We may have our issues away from home, and players may have dips in form, but we should remember how far we've come in such a short period of time. Stay supportive, stay positive, stay resilient. OTBC

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

.....cant even blame injuries as to why we cant score goals. All of our injuries are keepers ,defenders and midfielders.....the only one missing who could have helped on that front is hernandez.

....sadly , a lot of nice approach play but no punch.

20 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Our first or second choice goalkeeper would have saved the second goal

Don't agree, it was a very good finish right in the bottom corner. 

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

.....cant even blame injuries as to why we cant score goals. All of our injuries are keepers ,defenders and midfielders.....the only one missing who could have helped on that front is hernandez.

....sadly , a lot of nice approach play but no punch.

So if you had a team full of strikers you’d score loads of goals, yeah?

a football team is about balance. Defence to midfield to attack. We are massively out of balance. We played with 2 attack minded central midfielders today and it showed.

11 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

As Norwich are sticking to their own blueprint we won't be signing a bunch of 6 foot 3 cloggers in January, thankfully.

That's what Marco Stiepermann is in this league, a 6 foot 3 inch clogger. 

One place above the relegation spots, that's exactly where we'd expect to be after this initial run of games. West Ham no mugs, Burnley no mugs, Crystal Palace no mugs, all away and all playing the physical athlete game; plus Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and ..... Newcastle. 

Back the team, this is a really bad spell for us, especially injury-wise. The players need us to help them retain their confidence as they work through this. 

p.s. If Hanley was fit I would have played him last week, but not today, he has no pace and Palace would have murdered him.

OTBC!

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Don't agree, it was a very good finish right in the bottom corner. 

Maybe one of our first or second choice centre backs or one of our first or second choice defensive midfielders would have blocked it before it went through to our third choice goalkeeper 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Physicality again. Imagine it would be different with Zim in defence and Amadou/Hernandez in midfield but obviously that can't be the case. As Norwich are sticking to their own blueprint we won't be signing a bunch of 6 foot 3 cloggers in January, thankfully.

Hopefully the Carrow Road crowd picks up from where it left off last time. Treat the Villa game like it's an end of season 6 pointer.

The difference is that once you’ve been in the prem for a couple of seasons (like most of our opponents this season have been) you can afford players who are 6 foot 3 but can play as well. 

22 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Compared to those Palace lads our boys seem to have shirts that are a size too big for them.

Don't think I ever seen such a lightweight looking City team. We're just so easily eased off the ball it's untrue. For all this training we're doing we just looked shagged out most of the time as well. Something is not right.

Its not really all that complicated or deep to understand.

We didn't have the quality in depth sufficient to deal with losing both Zimmermann and Hernandez to long term injury. 

I don't buy the idea that we have been 'unlucky' really.

But had we been 'lucky' enough not to lose those two to injury, then we Amadou in the DM position and Stiepermann on the bench we may have looked closer in quality to the Crystal Palace's and West Ham's of this league and had a chance.

Unfortunately I think our season is wrecked.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

11 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

So if you had a team full of strikers you’d score loads of goals, yeah?

a football team is about balance. Defence to midfield to attack. We are massively out of balance. We played with 2 attack minded central midfielders today and it showed.

We had arguably 10 of our first choice 11 players starting today?.....and no, defensively we didnt do a lot wrong, we lacked guile and punch in the final third ...but worryingly we have very little personel, fit or unfit that would have changed that.

...you can kid yourself that a trybull or tettey instead if McLean would have made any difference today from an attacking sense....but we know it wouldnt

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

33 minutes ago, Otis62 said:

Relegation dogfight ? It’s only the end of September and we’ve so many players to return. 

Yes true. But how long does it take to get these players up to fitness? Vrancic for example, seems to be taking an age - not helped by a further niggle, granted. But I don't think we'll see Hernandez before Christmas, and others possibly. By that time it could be too late, in terms of the winnable games that have passed. 

We'll see. Home games are vital, and we're getting points at the Carra so lets keep that up. Our style of play certainly suits being the home side. 

Really it all boils down to not enough investment in the summer ,we have seen this many times before we go up with no investment we last at the most 1 to 3 seasons and we come down ,that's what we do just have to make the best of it .

We have been not quite good enough for the last two games. 

I have no particular concerns with the patched up defense - it's easy to always find fault for any goal - but midfield and attack not quick enough. We miss Onel (although Roberts might get a start) and in my book Vrancic. Todd seems to me to flatter to deceive at times.

12 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We had arguably 10 of our first choice 11 players starting today?.....and no, defensively we didnt do a lot wrong, we lacked guile and punch in the final third ...but worryingly we have very little personel, fit or unfit that would have changed that.

...you can kid yourself that a trybull or tettey instead if McLean would have made any difference today from an attacking sense....but we know it wouldnt

It would have made a difference. Blatantly.

During the last +/- 285 minutes away from home we've had no more than 30 minutes, and that's probably being generous, when we have played anywhere near our full potential even allowing for injuries/unavailable players.

We will not win any away games if that level of performance continues.

In 3 games now we have started slow and looked lethargic.

We lack conviction with our passing, crossing & shooting, we are not pressing high up and winning the ball back and we are not winning 50/50 tackles or the second ball.

And despite having most of the possession, we look completley knackered with 20 minutes to go.

These are the very same things that we were so good at last season.

I don't believe that it's all down to the "quality" of the opposition.

We just seem to have lost our spark, invention and belief.

just got back from game.....we were just not good enough. Lazy, short passes which Palace picked up easily, 2nd to almost every contested ball in the air. And as for why we started a keeper who wasn't 100% even in the warm-up it's crazy!

Not sure what's going to happen next week with Villa but I feel we might have to start at least looking at the free market just in case someone is needed.

Right now we have 1 match-fit Keeper (hoping that Krul is back next week)

Edited by BigManInTheBarclay

6 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

....like at west ham?

Stop fooling yourself.

Like it did against newcastle

see, I can do it as well.

we also played with great endeavour against Liverpool and Chelsea 

suggesting important players like trybull and Hernandez wouldn’t make a difference is just idiotic 

6 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Like it did against newcastle

see, I can do it as well.

we also played with great endeavour against Liverpool and Chelsea 

suggesting important players like trybull and Hernandez wouldn’t make a difference is just idiotic 

I've said that Hernandez would in my post....but to suggest that trybull being in todays team instead of mclean would make us anymore a goal threat or make any difference to the outcome is deluded.

....our front 4 wasnt good enough today ...just as it wasnt last week, regardless if who made up the rest of the team behind them.

...at this level , chances such as Cantwell's cleared off the line simply must be converted

7 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I've said that Hernandez would in my post....but to suggest that trybull being in todays team instead of mclean would make us anymore a goal threat or make any difference to the outcome is deluded.

....our front 4 wasnt good enough today ...just as it wasnt last week, regardless if who made up the rest of the team behind them.

...at this level , chances such as Cantwell's cleared off the line simply must be converted

It’s a team game, we don’t have our full strength team. It’s as simple as that. We need to take our chances but the whole team working in union delivering on their assigned strengths wins you games. 

I think you need to ask yourselves, how many of our players have played premiership football prior to this season, has our manager managed with such financial restrictions against world class players and managers with teams and budgets so much bigger than ours!

We certainly haven’t matched the level of performances in the last two games as we have the first four games but it’s a learning curve for our club, if it doesn’t work, it’s for a reason, we regroup and go again next season in the championship.

I’ve said our home form is going to be vital, we aren’t going to pick up many points away from home this side of January, hopefully when Zimmermann and Klose are back we can move Amadou forward into that holding midfielder role to strengthen it up away from home.

But it certainly all about sticking with it and pushing on with the Premiership project of developing our players through the season.

Not many really thought it was going to be easy, just look at how good our squad is for the money laid out, give them time.

it was a better performance than last week imo, not good enough I know blah blah blah ....but there were periods when we dominated the game and it felt like we were going to get a point...we will learn and move on.

• Like 2

There's a reason why farke rarely changed the team last year even if we had dips in form, the way we play benefits greatly from continuity and an understanding between players on the pitch. This injury crisis has really killed us, we've not been at our fluent best because we've had to change the team around so much and it's also killed that bit of momentum most teams get promoted with. Despite what Farke says I can see it's gotten to the players as well, they look really fed up and hard done by. 

You need a degree of luck to stay in this league as a promoted side alongside quality, we haven't had any this year. All we can do is carry on supporting but it's looking ominous at this early stage. It's gutting because with a mostly full strength squad I think we could've made a real go of this.

Zimmerman would make a huge difference. 

Klose would make a difference with no Zimmerman.

Hernandez would make a big difference. 

Vrancic would make a difference even if just from the bench. 

Being able to put Amadou in midfield would make a difference. 

Krul or a fully fit Fahrmann would make a difference. 

Etc etc. 

Very difficult to judge us so far with so many injuries. 

• Like 4

Not convinced it's all down to the injuries. A lot of it is down to the opposition very easily nullifying how we play. West Ham, Burnley and Palace have done this easily and we haven't looked like getting a point against any of them.

We can stick to our principles and say this is the way we are going to play but is it worth  getting relegated for? We were hardly entertaining today and I thought we were quite dull to watch anyway tbh apart from 15 mins in the first half. We might as well be as dull but with a more solid set up and mentality and try and grind out results. 

I have said before and I'll say it again that it was a major error not to get a 5th CH in the transfer window. We need Amadou in midfield but Farke has absolutely no faith in Hanley and no intention of picking him, otherwise surely he would have been picked for our last 2 games? So we are effectively down to 3 CHs with 2 of them injured.

2 hours ago, Making Plans said:

During the last +/- 285 minutes away from home we've had no more than 30 minutes, and that's probably being generous, when we have played anywhere near our full potential even allowing for injuries/unavailable players.

We will not win any away games if that level of performance continues.

In 3 games now we have started slow and looked lethargic.

We lack conviction with our passing, crossing & shooting, we are not pressing high up and winning the ball back and we are not winning 50/50 tackles or the second ball.

And despite having most of the possession, we look completley knackered with 20 minutes to go.

These are the very same things that we were so good at last season.

I don't believe that it's all down to the "quality" of the opposition.

We just seem to have lost our spark, invention and belief.

After better results than this last year you were calling for Farkes head. Will you be calling for his head if we lose next week ?

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Hopefully January sees money spent on attacking options. We won't avoid relegation by signing another centrehalf.

Agree we need to spend in January. Just hope we can keep the vultures away.