Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

*****Official match thread v C. Palace*****

3 minutes ago, Aggy said:

A poor premier league side, perhaps. 

I made this point a few weeks ago when someone called West Ham an “average side”. (Although West Ham I would say are probably better than Palace.)

Mid table “poor” premier league sides have still got players who they’ve paid tens of millions for - strong, powerful, quick, physical players. We’ve got some very good players but we’re starting to see the gulf in class between the prem and championship - every game we play this season will be very hard.

West Ham are streets ahead of Palace.   Palace beat them in the time-wasting  stakes though.

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

We're just not good enough, Palace have been in full control of this second half. Happy to let us have the ball because they know we'll do nothing with it.

Stiepermann isn't good enough, the problem is I'm not sure the alternatives are either (hurry up Vrancic, get fit). 

Resorted to long balls at times today, in fairness its partly because we're not willing to pass the ball to McGovern and that's understandable.

Its a bit depressing really, we're in a relegation dogfight. Insufficient number of players of the quality of Pukki and Buendia to penetrate. 

I want to disagree, but its hard. Having said that our injury list is terrible, so its hard to criticise anyone. 

I feel a fit Vrancic would be a big help right now. 

We were mostly dull to watch. Back to the tippy tappy football but going nowhere with it. We need to get some players fit and fast.

Must win game against Villa.

We ARE good enough. Beating Man City wasn’t a fluke. We need to start quicker and everyone be on it for the whole game. If you think we’re not good enough, there’s plenty of other things to do on a Saturday afternoon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hodgson is a wily old fox and sets his teams up well. They managed us pretty well and the sub took his goal with aplomb. 

But I'd be confident of beating them in the return fixture and am definitely not writing us off yet! 

30 minutes ago, paul moy said:

... because I am fair-minded..... have you heard of the word impartial ?

Of course, I've also heard of the phrase "distastefully smug person on a message board" before.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Il Pirata said:

I want to disagree, but its hard. Having said that our injury list is terrible, so its hard to criticise anyone. 

I feel a fit Vrancic would be a big help right now. 

Relegation dogfight ? It’s only the end of September and we’ve so many players to return. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

We look lightweight against these so called Premier also runs.

We look lightweight because our heavyweight players have all been injured

there's nobody left

5 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Are people surprised that Prem teams are better than most of the teams we were playing last season?

we had the chances to get back into that game before half time but you have to take at least one in this division.

I think some people probably are surprised judging from posts on here over the last few weeks....posts such as those saying we were play football as good as anything else in Europe, that the prem is full of average sides, that (pick player) is already worth 40million and will be a future England captain etc. 

Your second point is why Pukki is so crucial for us... he so often last season (and this already) scores from a half chance. I doubt we’ll win many this season where he doesn’t score.

Edited by Aggy

4 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

We ARE good enough. Beating Man City wasn’t a fluke. We need to start quicker and everyone be on it for the whole game. If you think we’re not good enough, there’s plenty of other things to do on a Saturday afternoon.

If you want the Man City game to be the blueprint then you are advocating a complete change in our style, where we invite and soak up pressure and then exploit the gaps on the break. The problem is that we'd be completely reliant on Buendia being 1). Fit, and 2) on form, for that to have any chance of working at least until Hernandez is back.

Otherwise you end up looking like a Chris Hughton team, where poor old one-paced Robby Snodgrass had everything to do as our outlet. 

As for the bold bit, you can jog on with that comment. Watched us in League One mate. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Strength across the pitch seems to be the big difference for me. We’re a small, almost lightweight team and we’re getting outmuscled against the Burnley’s and Palace’s of the division. I think we’re going to have to get some players in, in January to stand a chance 

And yet another poor away performance. It appears we are becoming very very predictable. I know Mr Farke has his attacking beliefs, fine in the championship, but when you haven’t got the talent available, maybe he needs to look at our defending and plan B. We are conceding very silly goals through very naive defending on far too regular a basis. 

Maybe the problem is trying to play with two DM, need to seriously look at the defensive set up of the team.

This is a follow on from the frailties of last year

Not getting away with scoring more goals than the opposition.

• Confused 1

It doesn't compare to ManC. They are happy to play the ball in front of teams. Palace didn't much instead relying on out balls to Ayew and Zaha. And it worked for them because they knew they had a chance of getting the ball back of us in our half.

Lets not start moaning about the players or coach. Its time to face the facts. We have lost five out of seven. Maybe we can change that with a couple of home games and hopefully some of the crocks might be back.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If you want the Man City game to be the blueprint then you are advocating a complete change in our style, where we invite and soak up pressure and then exploit the gaps on the break. The problem is that is completely reliant on Buendia being 1). Fit, and 2) on form, at least until Hernandez is back. Otherwise you end up looking like a Chris Hughton team, where poor old one-paced Robby Snodgrass had everything to do as our outlet. 

As for the bold bit, you can jog on with that comment. Watched us in League One mate. 

Nope, didn’t say I want Man City to be the blueprint. That was a great example of adapting (but not completing changing) our play. It still had our way of playing in it, to associate it with a Hughton style of football is insulting at best. 

We've proven already we are good enough to compete and win games in this league.

I was merely highlighting your ridiculous statement of ‘simply not good enough’.

Well done for watching us in League One.

• Like 1

Compared to those Palace lads our boys seem to have shirts that are a size too big for them.

Don't think I ever seen such a lightweight looking City team. We're just so easily eased off the ball it's untrue. For all this training we're doing we just looked shagged out most of the time as well. Something is not right.

fact is any team in this league with the injury problems we have will be struggling in exactly the same way. On our day with fit players we’ll challenge any team in this league.

• Like 1

Physicality again. Imagine it would be different with Zim in defence and Amadou/Hernandez in midfield but obviously that can't be the case. As Norwich are sticking to their own blueprint we won't be signing a bunch of 6 foot 3 cloggers in January, thankfully.

Hopefully the Carrow Road crowd picks up from where it left off last time. Treat the Villa game like it's an end of season 6 pointer.

As I posted last week we will gain few points away from home. A record of P4 W0 D0 L4 F1 A 10 supports this view. It is out home games that will decide our fate and beating Villa next week will be a good way to start. 

We need to stay in touch with the other teams around us so that we can bolster areas in the team in January.

Our job as fans is to keep faith with the players and management as they adjust to the greater demands of the PL.