Sign in to follow this  
keelansgrandad

Bribery endangering health

The Women's Marathon at the World Athletics Championships, despite a midnight start, had 28 out of 68 pull out, including all three Ethiopians, because of the conditions in Doha, Qatar, soon to host the World Cup.

I hope those with the money in their bank accounts are happy to hold world sport to ransom to accommodate their greed.

• Like 3

Thirded. Corruption has led to the World Cup in Qatar but is evident at all levels.......including a thirteen year old a few years back banned for a year over here for taking inducements ( Several hundred euro sports shop gift token) to switch from one Schoolboy Club to another.

Fourthed. Everyone knows why Qatar were awarded the World Cup, but either there isn't enough evidence to prove it or the powers-that-be are just choosing to ignore it.

What are even worse than the dangerous conditions that the players have to play in are the conditions that the exploited (and possibly illegal) migrant construction workers have to work in. A considerable number of them have died already, far more than at any other major sporting event I believe, and we're still over two years away from the tournament so that number will continue to rise.

• Thanks 1

Not just health, but the environment too. There were stories in the media yesterday about the air conditioning built into a stadium to keep it cool. With a open top!

No matter how clever it is at recirculating the cool air, it's madness! 

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Sixthed.

Not just health, but the environment too. There were stories in the media yesterday about the air conditioning built into a stadium to keep it cool. With a open top!

Fixed that for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

That makes you the Sixtus of the thread NS - at least according to victorian madman Jacob Rees Mogg, that is a reasonable name for you to bear after becoming the sixth addition to something.

September is too early to be holding such an event in that part of the world.

As for the world cup ...evening games in november/december i.e 7.00pm onwards it should be mid-late 20's , so they might just get away with it

51 minutes ago, kick it off said:

That makes you the Sixtus of the thread NS - at least according to victorian madman Jacob Rees Mogg, that is a reasonable name for you to bear after becoming the sixth addition to something.

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm comfortable being associated with that tw*t in any way!

😣

• Haha 1