Sign in to follow this  
yellowrider120

Amandou?

I think most will agree that after our lightweight midfield was exposed against West Ham (and to lesser extent Burnley also), we needed a more 'physical', holding player in midfield. Tetty has been cut down by injury again (albeit only short term it seems) so the logical move would be to play Hanley centre back and shift Amandou to midfield?? I thought the boy Amandou was acquired primarily as a 'defensive' midfielder who 'could also play center back' (not the other way round). To go into a physical battle in South London with Leitner and McClean as the central pairing would seem asking for trouble surely?

If Faarke doesn't trust H     

I agree. Much as I really don't rate Hanley at this level, he's basically all we've got if we want to push Amadou further forward as the DM. I'd reluctantly play it that way today and see what happened.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I agree. Much as I really don't rate Hanley at this level, he's basically all we've got if we want to push Amadou further forward as the DM. I'd reluctantly play it that way today and see what happened.

Snap. I don't have a huge amount of faith in Hanley as a Premier League centre back but Amadou isn't a natural centre back either and is needed to give the midfield a bit of steel.

38 minutes ago, kick it off said:

26 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Snap. I don't have a huge amount of faith in Hanley as a Premier League centre back but Amadou isn't a natural centre back either and is needed to give the midfield a bit of steel.

Agreed too.

I think maybe DF is keen on the ball being played out from the back and Hanley doesn't have the same control as any of the others. But I agree maybe Amadou being chosen for his normal position would perhaps gain us more than we lose with Hanley at CB.

I think LDC might have the wrong end of the stick. I don't think we are talking of three at the back. Too defensive.

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think maybe DF is keen on the ball being played out from the back and Hanley doesn't have the same control as any of the others. But I agree maybe Amadou being chosen for his normal position would perhaps gain us more than we lose with Hanley at CB.

I think LDC might have the wrong end of the stick. I don't think we are talking of three at the back. Too defensive.

Not really. The goals we have let in have often been because of too many gaps in the middle. With Hanley perhaps not as quick on the turn as some strikers, the extra man at the back can make all the difference.  Amadou, with strict defensive instructions, would be better - particularly away from home - concentrating on defence with others in the team providing cover from midfield.

It's not too defensive imo, as in a Farke team there is always room for a defender to get forwards. I just think that we have to be a bit more focussed on central defence with the wing backs can offer more attacking threat when able to.   Burnley undid us quite easily and so will other teams if we are not careful.  It is only a small adjustment to make - defend first, keep yourself in the game and when the opporunity arises make the most of it.......the Man City match was a perfect example, play out of your skins in defence and wait for the opportunitry to pounce.  The Man City match was in a way the perfect away performance!

I like the three at the back to start. We can always revert to 4 if its not working and push Amadou into midfield and it wont affect the shape of the team too much because Leitner can just move further forward.  IMO Stiepermann is the right player to make way for this formation as he could do with some time to rekindle his form.

1 hour ago, Kanadyan Kanary said:

I like the three at the back to start. We can always revert to 4 if its not working and push Amadou into midfield and it wont affect the shape of the team too much because Leitner can just move further forward.  IMO Stiepermann is the right player to make way for this formation as he could do with some time to rekindle his form.

Perhaps we could use it as a flexible formation? Amadou pushing forward when we attack, dropping back when we defend. Could then use Marco alternating between DM & AM alongside Mo. Puts a big load on Ibrahim & Marco though.

Playing three at the back which seems sensible away from home, with two wing backs still leaves five outfield players which is to top four Emi, Marco, Todd and Pukki with space for DM either Leitner or Amadou.  I would prefer to see back three of Godfrey, Hanley and Byram with Jamal and Max wing backs if fit.  Max defensively has struggled defensively.  If Amadou not DM should in back three.  Myram at RB Max on bench.

Wasn't Amadou ( there's no "n" in his name ) a star in our back four against Man City? Sounds like we are taking him game by game😯

However, it would be interesting to see how he performes in the central midfield  position, I would have no problem bringing Hanley into the back four for a game at Palarse.