Sign in to follow this  
Dennis The Menace

Worthy did make some good signings.

Good signings? Yep...currently running at a ratio of about 1 in 6 though I''d say...

Better off using a pin, p''raps?

What a stupid thread, Anyone with a pea for a brain could see that they were good signings. We could of had Ashton for a Million if we had gone earlier. Worthingtons signings and sales have been shocking. To survive in the Prem you need a mix of British experience and pace look at West Ham Sheringham! Wigan Henchoz! What did our manager do, signed foreigners. Good players yes but everyone knows that they take a season to settle in its a fact. What help were they? They spent half the season in the reserves adapting to the pace of this countries football. I believe they came good towards the end of the season but it was too late. So what do we have now 3 quality internationally experienced foreign players that have adapted to the pace of this country. What does NW do get rid of them (More Genius!) Not happy with clearing out these quality players he now decides that he does''nt like Edworthy a fans favourite, he ships him off and signs a right back from the team that had the worst defensive record in the championship (More Genius!) After about 3 games he realises why forest were relegated and plays his other top signing Colin. All this when he already had a good one and had probably signed one in Andy Hughes without realising it (I doubt we will know that Hughes is a good right back until the Genius is replaced) The midfield I do not wish to mention as this is just embarrasing (Hucks and Saf excused) To prove this do you believe that this team would of gone up?

Green

Eddie                  Doherty                Shackell            Drury

M.Jonnson         Safri                        Helveg(Koumas) Hucks

Ashton                     Svennson

Subs: Mcveigh, Mckenzie, Ward,                

Fair point.

But I''ll think you find that he''s signed more bad players than good players, what does that tell you? Oh, and the season we won the league was based on the foundation of a brain wave and some very intelligent and astute business in the transfer market.

Give them a chance, Link.

They may need confidence, like Doherty.

Then we may see the best of them. Like Doherty.

I don''t think Worthy''s record is really all that bad.  OK it is not spectaular on recent signings, but if you are given only a few ''00k to play with, in this day and age, you are hardly going to get the finished article. 

I do think it is a little unfair to write players, such as Hughes, Jarrett, Etuhu off so soon; Jarrett and Etuhu in particular have not been given much of a chance whereas Hughes is a 100% effort player every game, something that at times you really do need.

Jarrett, for example, certainly looked poor in the few games he had prior to getting a run under his belt at Plymouth, but has looked pretty good on his return - it sadly seems that, for some reason, for many he has had his chance, so nothing he now does counts.

Thing is, this all rings bells re: Iwan Roberts, big time: the difference being that he was given a chance to come good.  His 1st season record is rather amazing - he scored just 5 in 29 league starts, and by the end of Jan in his first season had scored just 2 in 20-odd games.  I can just imagine the reaction he would have had on this board at this time in January that season.....

[quote user="Dennis The Menace"]He signed Hucks as well as Ashton. How can you say he doesn''t make good signings? He also got the club in the premiership.[/quote]

Its a very poor percentage.

Good managers have many more hits than misses.

Mook - the likes of Hughes, Jarrett and Colin have had six months or so to settle in and show what they''re capable of. In my humble opinion, they haven''t shown anything to give me a spark of hope that they''ll get better.

The Doc showed enough in his early days to suggest that there was a good player in there somewhere. When Danny Crow came on for 20 minutes against Liverpool last season, he looked very promising. Same for Cave-Brown a couple of weeks ago. This shower (and Etuhu) fill me with no sense whatsoever of impending improvement.     

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

I don''t think Worthy''s record is really all that bad.  OK it is not spectaular on recent signings, but if you are given only a few ''00k to play with, in this day and age, you are hardly going to get the finished article. 

I do think it is a little unfair to write players, such as Hughes, Jarrett, Etuhu off so soon; Jarrett and Etuhu in particular have not been given much of a chance whereas Hughes is a 100% effort player every game, something that at times you really do need.

Jarrett, for example, certainly looked poor in the few games he had prior to getting a run under his belt at Plymouth, but has looked pretty good on his return - it sadly seems that, for some reason, for many he has had his chance, so nothing he now does counts.

Thing is, this all rings bells re: Iwan Roberts, big time: the difference being that he was given a chance to come good.  His 1st season record is rather amazing - he scored just 5 in 29 league starts, and by the end of Jan in his first season had scored just 2 in 20-odd games.  I can just imagine the reaction he would have had on this board at this time in January that season.....

[/quote] Iwan arrived much like the doc, out of form, overweight, and he injured his foot early doors - but he had a proven track record, unlike some of our more recent signings

Interesting use of the past tense in the post title dennis...

I think worthy has signed more better players than even he realises - its just he signs then then either refuses to play them or puts them in a position where they are doomed to fail.

Worthy is not alone in this - I remember Hamilton giving Kents his debut on the left side of midfield!