Sign in to follow this  
Harry53

Dare i compare City with Barcelona?

Just back from watching my first live match at Barcelona's stadium against Villarreal. 

Not quite what i had expected as the quality of the game was very average and at times we play much better .

What really amazed me were the home fans celebrations when the teams came out. The number of flags was pathetic in comparison to our Barclay End, and as for the atmosphere...... well it hardly excited me. About 70000 there scattered around the enormous stadium but it seemed to me the crowd didn't really connect to the game at ground level. 

I know thay have big named players, but to be honest, many of ours were equally as good (except Messy obviously!!) On the night. 

The Barca fans said after the game that it was a poor performance. I have to agree, and nothing compares to the skill, excitement and atmosphere we all love at Carrow road.

You can keep your Messi's. Carrow road and Farkeball is where my heart is.

20190924_201813.jpg

• Like 4

Interesting thoughts. What seems to be happening with us - and it is a huge compliment to the way we play - is that to beat us most teams have to set out to stop us and if they don't, we will often find a way of winning.   In other words, a team can't just rock up and play the way they want to without having a plan to stop us.  So we know that at our best we can beat the best and every team we play knows it and that we are dangerous if they are not geared up to counter our methods. 

So a Reading or a Burnley and some other teams will get it right against us, even Man City and Chelsea have to play at their best and us not at our best....and what struck me against Chelsea was they realised they had to raise their game in the second half at CR.  Man City just thought their methods would be good enough, without trying too hard to press us - and they found out how good we can be.

So whenever I watch us play I look at the opposition in the first few minutes and decide whether they have set up to stop us or not. Newcastle did not and it was obvious from the first minute. Man City did not - they just tried to play how they always play and it gave us a chance.  Liverpool caught us cold imo and we grew into that game.  Chelsea didn't set out to stop us and only succeeded imo by playing at their very best and us losing a bit of momentum.  Burnley did and got joy against us. West Ham was not great, but the Zimbo incident affected our chances there. 

So overall, our football at it's best is as good as you will see anywhere and this season will be fascinating as it unfolds and as with last season, teams will have to be at their very very best or at least have a method of trying to stop us, or we will punish them.

Sorry for the long post.

• Like 1

I watched the super cup final there against Sevilla a few years ago, the atmosphere was quite poor even though the games was good, I think there are concentrated areas of support and the rest are casuals or football tourists, like we were, and in a big ground you lose a lot of atmosphere due to size and dispersal I guess.

It's always been there. It's one of the main reasons I support Norwich.

Under Farke the beautiful butterfly has finally hatched. We just need to learn how to sting like a bee!

Coincidentally that was my first game at camp nou too, and have to agree with everything Harry says. The loudest songs with most joining in were about Catalan independence. 

IMG_20190924_210025.jpg

Why did you not think it fair to mention that the game was a 9pm kick off on a Tuesday night and televised? 

If we had a TV game at that time against a standard side what do you think the attendance and atmosphere would be like? The game would finish at quarter to 11... Rules out any hopes of last trains home to Yarmouth, kings lynn and Thetford for a start. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I saw Barca v Villareal in 2004 whilst on a stag weekend.  A boring 0 - 0 match with hardly a shot on goal.  The biggest cheer of the night was for the sight of Ronaldinho warming up at half time (he was coming back from injury so didn't start).  Even when he came on in 2nd half he couldn't effect any excitement.  I started to boo at the end of the match (30 odd hours of constant drinking raised my bravado) but was met by the Barca fans turning round and waving their white hankies at me (apparently this means they were happy with their performance).  Nothing for it but a quick chorus of On The Ball City!  Total bemusement from 70,000 fans but at least I got out alive.

• Haha 1

Actually I remember that this followed the Norwich match at Burnley shared on here recently when we won 5 - 3. Watched Sky Sports news in a bar at the Olympic harbour.  I started to cheer and sing as we took the lead at the end, only to be confronted by 3 Burnley fans who were up for a fight.  My stag mate pals persuaded me to quieten down whilst they calmed the Burnley lot down.  Quite a day.

Edited by shefcanary

43 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Rules out any hopes of last trains home to Yarmouth, kings lynn and Thetford for a start. 

Tbf Teemu, that would be an ask even for a 3pm kickoff at Nou Camp

11 hours ago, ron obvious said:

It's always been there. It's one of the main reasons I support Norwich.

Under Farke the beautiful butterfly has finally hatched. We just need to learn how to sting like a bee!

Very poetic Ron👍

On 25/09/2019 at 19:59, TeemuVanBasten said:

Why did you not think it fair to mention that the game was a 9pm kick off on a Tuesday night and televised? 

If we had a TV game at that time against a standard side what do you think the attendance and atmosphere would be like? The game would finish at quarter to 11... Rules out any hopes of last trains home to Yarmouth, kings lynn and Thetford for a start. 

You have a good point. I do appreciate that by watching just one game and making comments from that experience is somewhat unfair. The main point of my post was that it made our flag waving support at the Barclay End, and overall ground atmosphere is very impressive. 

I am sure when Barca play a European match everything will be very different