stewfil

James Madison

Saturday's game was the best I've seen him play for Leicester. He was outstanding and all amongst rumours of Manchester United and an £80m fee.

OGS desperately needs a big signing to rescue his diminishing reputation at Old Trafford and Maddison would seem the ideal fit.

The fact that Liverpool, and Spurs in the past I seem to recollect, are also on the horizon as rivals for the player's signature just increases the fee, especially in the January window.

Some have suggested that we should receive 10% of profit, which means a hefty £5m+ for City .... some say more, but it's usually a complicated business with many fingers in the pie and I'm not sure if even Coventry are off the gravy train yet.

Edited by BroadstairsR

7 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Oh! 15%. That's on the high side. That's Webber. That's even better.

I suspect what happened was that Leicester argued the basic fee down, on the basis that Maddison had never played in the Premier League, and might not come off. In retrospect 22m or whatever pretty quickly looked on the low side. So we held out for a better than normal (if that is what 15 per cent is) sell-on clause, to make up for that.

Perhaps not dissimilar to the Buendia deal, whereby we did seem to get him very cheap, although I think Getafe may have had their reasons for accepting our bid, but they at the same time negotiated a large promotion clause and quite possibly also a large sell-on clause.

Because he had just been injured and it was pretty clear we needed to sell, personally I think £22m + 15% onward profit was a really good deal, plenty of players just can't make the step up to the Prem.

If he carries on performing with Leicester it's just a question of time till he moves to a bigger club.

• Like 1

Pretty certain terms of the deal when we signed him from Coventry was that they'd get a percentage from any sell on clause we had as well as whatever cut they got from the fee when we sold him. 

Do wonder if Liverpool might be a little too high tempo and press press press for his game?

I suspect that Madders would want Man U to buy some more players before he would go there. They are in a  bit of disarray, and why go to somewhere like that at the moment? He's thriving at Leicester and you could argue that Leicester are 'better' than Man U, currently.

• Like 2

Regardless of a sell on clause or wherever James ends up, I really hope he's a great success and eventually made Captain of England...... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

I'm not sure he suits Liverpool? Brilliant player, but since Coutinho left, they haven't used a No.10 role really.

Plan B for liverpool?

3 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Regardless of a sell on clause or wherever James ends up, I really hope he's a great success and eventually made Captain of England...... 

Agreed. As well as being a top player, he seems like a nice lad with a sensible head on his shoulders. I will always follow his career and wish him to go as far as he can (which, is very far).

• Like 1

Tough one to see where he’d go really. Possibly a replacement for Eriksen at Spurs, but there’s something wrong there at the moment, they aren’t going to challenge the top two any time soon and Leicester have got a bit more of a “buzz” around them. 

If Man Utd said to him they were looking to sell Pogba and build a side around a spine of De Gea, Maguire, Maddison, a top striker and top holding midfielder, along with the likes of Rashford and Lingard maybe he’d be tempted to go there as part of a rebuilding project. I don’t think Liverpool would be a great move for him right now.