Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Benteke

1 goal last season, 3 the one before - total 4  of in his last 35 starts (with a further 18 from the bench)

It can only be ACN 

• Like 1

He`s 29 and been playing professional football for the last 12 years, must be a multi millionaire by now

Had a shot at becoming a top level player but never quite made it

I often wonder what the incentive is for players in his situation to bust a gut or go the extra yard

1 minute ago, Molly Windley said:

He`s 29 and been playing professional football for the last 12 years, must be a multi millionaire by now

Had a shot at becoming a top level player but never quite made it

I often wonder what the incentive is for players in his situation to bust a gut or go the extra yard

That's a fair point as it does seem to happen sometimes with players near the end of their careers, but he's only 28 and his contract is up at the end season so he has one more big contract waiting for him somewhere if he has a good season.

I wouldn't know this myself being a poor person, but it's often said that no matter how much you have, you always want more. I'm sure Benteke would love another three-year deal worth £10m or so and if he hits double figures this season I'm sure somebody somewhere will offer him one.

9 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That's a fair point as it does seem to happen sometimes with players near the end of their careers, but he's only 28 and his contract is up at the end season so he has one more big contract waiting for him somewhere if he has a good season.

I wouldn't know this myself being a poor person, but it's often said that no matter how much you have, you always want more. I'm sure Benteke would love another three-year deal worth £10m or so and if he hits double figures this season I'm sure somebody somewhere will offer him one.

Nowadays though, even with another season of fewer than five goals, he could still probably get a bumper pay packet in China or the US if he wanted to. If he goes somewhere on a free he also might not need to take much of a pay cut, as I’m sure there will be sides (either in England or Europe) willing to take a punt on him for a free transfer.

26 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Nowadays though, even with another season of fewer than five goals, he could still probably get a bumper pay packet in China or the US if he wanted to. If he goes somewhere on a free he also might not need to take much of a pay cut, as I’m sure there will be sides (either in England or Europe) willing to take a punt on him for a free transfer.

Fair point. He still has a big reputation, after all, and China, Turkey and the Middle East seem to be high paying retirement homes at the moment.