Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

UEA

Indoctrinating my daughter to consider this university. Going to visit for an open day in October, has anyone been or would recommend studying there ? 

Living in Leicester she’s looked at Nottingham and Sheffield so far but it’s the fine city next . 

Hello Midlands

I completed my PGCE there back in 2012. Never had any problems with the place, the standard of the lecturers was good as were the lessons and materials that came with the course. Good library, quite a few shops on site as well as the all important bar...

I was already old, bitter and twisted when I went there and I liked it so I'd imagine a young 'un could have quite the student life there.

OTBC

On 22/09/2019 at 20:31, Midlands Yellow said:

Indoctrinating my daughter to consider this university. Going to visit for an open day in October, has anyone been or would recommend studying there ? 

Living in Leicester she’s looked at Nottingham and Sheffield so far but it’s the fine city next . 

I went. Maybe slightly different for me as I was already a Norfolk boy, but I did it properly and moved into halls for my first year and then blighted the golden triangle by renting there for my second and third years.

I absolutely loved it. The campus is a great location; I still regularly visit it for family walks around the lake. The sports facilities are brilliant. You could argue that its distance from the city centre might be a downside but the buses are very frequent and often the bus journey back from a night out became a fun part of it. It's changed a lot in the 10+ years since I was there. The halls of residence I had, Waveney Terrace, were demolished within weeks of my leaving. There was a long running rumour that the plans were based on a Swedish Women's Prison and having lived in it for the best part of a year, it's a rumour I have ease in believing! It also helped that as there was a building site outside my window where they were constructing the new halls, I had a heavily reduced rent and only have to pay £42 a week all in. Unbelievable really. My hallmates across the corridor had to pay over £70 for the same room. And to rub salt in the wound, as we were in Block A the construction site started a few yards away so I was barely inconvenienced by it anyway.

Anyway, I waffle. UEA is a great place to study and I would recommend it highly.

On 22/09/2019 at 20:31, Midlands Yellow said:

I went. Maybe slightly different for me as I was already a Norfolk boy, but I did it properly and moved into halls for my first year and then blighted the golden triangle by renting there for my second and third years.

I absolutely loved it. The campus is a great location; I still regularly visit it for family walks around the lake. The sports facilities are brilliant. You could argue that its distance from the city centre might be a downside but the buses are very frequent and often the bus journey back from a night out became a fun part of it. It's changed a lot in the 10+ years since I was there. The halls of residence I had, Waveney Terrace, were demolished within weeks of my leaving. There was a long running rumour that the plans were based on a Swedish Women's Prison and having lived in it for the best part of a year, it's a rumour I have ease in believing! It also helped that as there was a building site outside my window where they were constructing the new halls, I had a heavily reduced rent and only have to pay £42 a week all in. Unbelievable really. My hallmates across the corridor had to pay over £70 for the same room. And to rub salt in the wound, as we were in Block A the construction site started a few yards away so I was barely inconvenienced by it anyway.

Anyway, I waffle. UEA is a great place to study and I would recommend it highly.

I also went to the UEA and would highly recommend it. Even since I left 5 years ago a lot has improved (new and improved accommodation and facilities, a new on campus shop, new teaching facilities etc). My sister also went there to do her teaching course and also thoroughly enjoyed her time there. Don’t worry about the distance from the centre, many other universities are far worse, I used to regularly do the trip to the train station most weekends and never had any hassle as the busses are every 10 minutes and also stop right outside Morrison’s so you can do your weekly shop their if you wish, and you can purchase a student bus pass which gives you a years worth of unlimited travel for £150 or £200 quid or whatever it was.

social life is great and the uni has its own on site club nights at the campus, plus it also owns and runs The Waterfront riverside so there’s always plenty going on, plus a decent number of comedy acts and bands visiting throughout the year to both venues. Norwich is a lovely city with lots to do and explore.

if you have any direct questions feel free got ask, it’s nice to waffle but might not directly answer her questions!

My daughter has just started her 2nd year. First year in Halls, now renting. It wasn't her first choice but A Level grades meant she narrowly missed on her first choice. She now admits it turned out for the best. The kitchens in the accommodation (Nelson Court) are basic at best. Lots and lots of clubs to join, excellent on campus social life with the LCR having regular gigs and is the 'clubbing'.

It's a nice campus in a relatively safe area of Norwich with the main advantage being the Halls of Residence are in within easy walking distance, unlike some we visited. But I guess the key thing is whether the course they offer is really what appeals. This varies from  Uni to Uni with some compulsory, some optional modules to consider. Some (Sheffield) insisted on a period abroad which may or may not appeal but that depends on the subject I guess.

From a parental selfish viewpoint I'm glad she went there as she's near and handy if any wobbles occur, and there have been a few!

My employer holds the UEA in high regard too, employing several graduates from there.

My niece went to Lincoln. That's a good Uni in a really nice city too.

Graduated from there in 2010 and loved it. Great Uni, lovely campus and really big on giving students the best experience. Also the LCR tends to get bigger bands than another venue of similar size might expect simply because it is the biggest venue in the area, so if your kid likes music that may help. 

Obviously course is important- some departments are better than others. What is she thinking of studying?

Did Law there 2006-2009. Great memories, great course and the Uni itself with all the support and facilities were brilliant. They've seen updated a lot of the accommodation etc so it's only getting better.

On 12/10/2019 at 14:05, John Ryans Express said:

It's an extremely good university run by dedicated staff with a beautiful campus in a fine city. I admit to slight bias,as my lovely wife works there...

So does mine. Studied there and now works there. She can't escape.

8 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

So does mine. Studied there and now works there. She can't escape.

They do call Norwich 'the graveyard of ambition' as it is too nice to leave.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

They do call Norwich 'the graveyard of ambition' as it is too nice to leave.

She came to UEA from Medway, so not a huge amount of competition!

I'm not sure if it still does, but it consistently had the highest student retention rate (graduates staying around after graduating) when I started in 2004. But the label certainly works as there are not the level of graduate jobs to satisfy the number of graduates.

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I'm not sure if it still does, but it consistently had the highest student retention rate (graduates staying around after graduating) when I started in 2004. But the label certainly works as there are not the level of graduate jobs to satisfy the number of graduates.

Yeah- I'd have loved to have stayed but me and my now wife both felt there just weren't the job opportunities for us. I hold out hope of returning one day though...

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah- I'd have loved to have stayed but me and my now wife both felt there just weren't the job opportunities for us. I hold out hope of returning one day though...

My cousin, who grew up in Coventry but left to go to University (Peterhouse, Cambridge no less) and then moved to London as so many do, was constantly sending me job adverts after I graduated to try and entice me to the capital and away from the scarcity of opportunity in Norfolk. It was tempting and the amount of jobs and their salaries was staggering, even in the months after the financial crisis that I graduated into, but any temptation was quickly snuffed out by an unplanned pregnancy so now I'm Norfolk for life! Or at least until the kids fly the nest.

10 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

My cousin, who grew up in Coventry but left to go to University (Peterhouse, Cambridge no less) and then moved to London as so many do, was constantly sending me job adverts after I graduated to try and entice me to the capital and away from the scarcity of opportunity in Norfolk. It was tempting and the amount of jobs and their salaries was staggering, even in the months after the financial crisis that I graduated into, but any temptation was quickly snuffed out by an unplanned pregnancy so now I'm Norfolk for life! Or at least until the kids fly the nest.

Clearly I should have knocked up the wife!

I did end up in London and now Hertfordshire so I can get to Norwich in about 90 minutes but it just isn't the same.

I did my PhD at UEA from 1974-1977 and always enjoyed it there as the campus even that long ago was a good one. I occasionally walk around it on my rare visits to the Fine City. The university has a good reputation so certainly worth consideration by your daughter. 

On 15/10/2019 at 11:12, canarydan23 said:

She came from Kent,

she had a thirst for knowledge

She studied something at the UEA, Norwich.....................

17 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

She came from Kent,

she had a thirst for knowledge

She studied something at the UEA, Norwich.....................

A lot of Chinese come to the UEA because of their insatiable thirst for Norwich. 

It works better said out loud.