Sign in to follow this  
stewfil

MOTD penalty claim

Watching Tim Cahill on MOTD, he was raging about the penalty claim on Barnes, but I thought he handled it before he went down. Did anyone else see that?

I think the refs have missed a penalty in each of our last three games. Trybull's foul on Haller was a clear penalty, Stones' handball last week was a penalty with the new rules and Godfrey's challenge on Barnes was a penalty for me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the VAR has actually got involved and overturned a decision in the Premier League yet. The technology is there but they seem so reluctant to use it.

53 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think the refs have missed a penalty in each of our last three games. Trybull's foul on Haller was a clear penalty, Stones' handball last week was a penalty with the new rules and Godfrey's challenge on Barnes was a penalty for me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the VAR has actually got involved and overturned a decision in the Premier League yet. The technology is there but they seem so reluctant to use it.

According to Mike Riley before last week’s games, 6 decisions have been changed by VAR this season-although I can’t see anywhere that he has given the details. He also said 4 more should have been changed, including the Haller penalty.

10 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

According to Mike Riley before last week’s games, 6 decisions have been changed by VAR this season-although I can’t see anywhere that he has given the details. He also said 4 more should have been changed, including the Haller penalty.

Sorry, I worded my original post badly.

I know VAR have disallowed a few goals for handballs or offside (a couple for Man City, one for Wolves, Brighton, Sheff Utd etc.) but what I meant to say is that they haven't called the ref over to check something yet, like a missed decision such as a penalty or red card. The VAR has left all penalty calls with the on-field ref when there have been several clear and obvious errors, with the Trybull foul on Haller arguably being the most blatant. 

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Sorry, I worded my original post badly.

I know VAR have disallowed a few goals for handballs or offside (a couple for Man City, one for Wolves, Brighton, Sheff Utd etc.) but what I meant to say is that they haven't called the ref over to check something yet, like a missed decision such as a penalty or red card. The VAR has left all penalty calls with the on-field ref when there have been several clear and obvious errors, with the Trybull foul on Haller arguably being the most blatant. 

Riley has said he had been reluctant to do that because of it delaying the game. Seems that from last week he was instructing the VAR officials to step in and tell the referee to change the on-field call. Obviously hasn’t happened yet!

6 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Riley has said he had been reluctant to do that because of it delaying the game. Seems that from last week he was instructing the VAR officials to step in and tell the referee to change the on-field call. Obviously hasn’t happened yet!

I understand Riley's point of view, especially as I saw three Serie A games last weekend and two of them (Cagliari-Parma and Torino-Lecce) ended up going over 100 minutes due to long VAR checks in the second half. Both games had a four minute stoppage for a penalty claim which the ref didn't give and after checking the video stuck with the decision, as well as a couple of other decisions. The use of VAR in those games was farcical and spoiled the match somewhat, but in the Premier League it's the complete opposite- they aren't using VAR enough and they're letting obvious errors go.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Not seen a replay yet and didn’t have a clear view from my seat.

but overall the ref was awful and a clear homer who favoured Burnley in so many decisions it was embarrassing. Worse than I can remember in any game in the Champs last season. So if he did miss a pen for Burnley I’d say overall they can have no complaints because so much went in their favour from the ref.