Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

We need a Plan B

On days likes these when our normal running and passing game falls apart, and shows no improvement throughout the entire game, there must be a Plan B.

No good saying we haven't got the players for a Plan B, the players we have need to learn a Plan B.

Surely we can't just amble our way through games like this when we're 2 down and do absolutely nothing about it apart from hope that things are going to improve.

That's twice now in as many away games that things haven't improved & both times we were lucky it was only 2-0

Let's be honest - we've assembled a team on a shoe-string budget to play a very specific way. Because of this, we just don't have the personnel to suddenly up and change our play style.

We are always going to struggle against big, physical, direct teams.

• Like 2

Or we could defend better and take the chances that we do create rather than missing them or hitting the woodwork....

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ian said:

What would you suggest? Long balls up to Pukki?

No but we could try bringing on our all subs earlier.

Like 45 minutes earlier when it was so obvious that we were not at the races and nothing was changing.

We could have taken any one of McLean, Buendia, Stiepermann, and Cantwell off at half time and given Roberts a try.

We could have brought on Hanley and and moved Godfrey upfront.

We could have tried having 2 strikers on the pitch at the same time.

Any of this would have been better than sitting on your hands watching it all going pear shaped and doing nothing.

I think Farke needs to accept the criticism this week just like he accepted the praise last week.

• Like 1

Pukki had a good chance before they scored. Mo hit the post.

I think if we'd have got one goal we'd have got 2. 

Teams lose games. Today wasn't a disaster. We go again.

• Like 1

Didn’t see or hear the game today so not up to speed with how we played throughout the game but from what I’ve read the performance sounded similar to at West Ham where a physical side pressing hard was too strong for us.

The question for me is do we try to change our style of play to counter this with long balls, or do we stick to our principals and use the experience to improve our ability to play our own style. Do we give up what we normally do well or do we try to get better at it. My view is the latter but am prepared to be be corrected.

Not sure that we have the players for plan b?...looks whos injured...vrancic trybull hernandez at least they could offer something different?

....not to mention Zimmerman/Klose's injuries denying our chance to play Amadou in midfield

8 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Like 45 minutes earlier when it was so obvious that we were not at the races and nothing was changing.

We could have taken any one of McLean, Buendia, Stiepermann, and Cantwell off at half time and given Roberts a try.

Any of this would have been better than sitting on your hands watching it all going pear shaped and doing nothing.

I think Farke needs to accept the criticism this week just like he accepted the praise last week.

I'm not sure if those suggestions are actually serious, but don't forget how Alex Neil also lost his nerve (Godfrey up front?!?!?) and chopped/changed until it was too late.

There were some poor individual errors today, which ultimately cost us the match early on. One of the characteristics of this squad is their ability to learn quickly, and possessing the bravery to stick to their principles.

Surprised people are really questioning Webber/Farke's methods given what we've achieved over the last 18 months or so. Perhaps just an overreaction to a disappointing defrat.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes our options are severely restricted by the amount of injuries we have. 

Indeed, but that's not a reason for doing nothing.

If nothing else, then today has underlined to the players that a great win one week does not necessarily merit an ‘unchanged’ side the following week.

It should be ‘horses for courses’, although injuries obviously limited potential changes today.

The argument for keeping an unchanged side from week to week has been lost.

35 minutes ago, Year of the tiger said:

Our plan B was using the pace of Hernandez rather than the build up through the middle. Plan B is on hold

Yes we miss Onel and Vrancic.

Serious question.  Why did McLean stay on the pitch?  Can anyone say what he contributed today?  Anonymous.  Never mentioned on commentary or feed.

Roberts was presumably brought in as cover for Hernandez or as a game changer. Sadly he's neither.

We have no plan B, other than to move onto the next game and continue with plan A. Farke seems to have realised pretty quickly that at this level we aren't going to reverse a 2 goal deficit and it is a case of damage limitation and keeping as many players as fit as possible for the next game. 

Tettey's injury means that Hanley will have to play against Palace and Amadou move to midfield as DM as we're going to need a lot more muscle in midfield.

1 hour ago, Making Plans said:

That didn't take long

• Like 2

Why is there so many blinking injuries?! I’ve never ever known it this bad. Sure we’ve had cr@pp0 players before but never this many injuries! I got injured just picking up my phone checking the match report, zapped my texting thumbs! Wtf is going on?! 

2 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

Why is there so many blinking injuries?! I’ve never ever known it this bad. Sure we’ve had cr@pp0 players before but never this many injuries! I got injured just picking up my phone checking the match report, zapped my texting thumbs! Wtf is going on?! 

It's all part of God's plan. Like Job, we're being tested.

He doth move in a mysterious way (but not as good as Emi).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BigFish said:

That didn't take long

My posts are always a reflection of what I have seen on the pitch.

Last week we were brilliant, and I said so, but today we were poor.

Nothing changed from our point of view from the 1st minute right through until the last minute.

It never looked like changing and it didn't.

If things are not happening how you planned then you try change something.

We did not even attempt to try change anything.

Actually I think Farke summed it up when he said "We were not proactive enough"

What he should have said was "I was not proactive enough"

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Serious question.  Why did McLean stay on the pitch?  Can anyone say what he contributed today?  Anonymous.  Never mentioned on commentary or feed.

Why Didn't you ask this on Canary Call?

37 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

It's how we train. It's been reported several times that players have previously slotted in (last week for example) without match practice as training is at the intensity of matches. There were also rumours when Farke first came in of player revolts as training was no longer costa-del-colney.  Look at his first season, lots of injuries in training.

We were Burnley'd today, it happens and it happens to better more expensive squads than us, they're not mugs they've been in the top flight for several seasons now.  You don't stay up that long if you don't have something about you. As long as we learn and improve we'll be OK. And our injury list reduces!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Christov said:

It's how we train. It's been reported several times that players have previously slotted in (last week for example) without match practice as training is at the intensity of matches. There were also rumours when Farke first came in of player revolts as training was no longer costa-del-colney.  Look at his first season, lots of injuries in training.

We were Burnley'd today, it happens and it happens to better more expensive squads than us, they're not mugs they've been in the top flight for several seasons now.  You don't stay up that long if you don't have something about you. As long as we learn and improve we'll be OK. And our injury list reduces!

We don't seem to be coping as well with the transition to only one game a week compared to the two a week in the Championship. Maybe there is too much training but in most sports the training is far harder than the actual competition. Also last season we dominated possession, we now need to adapt to longer periods where we have to dig in and press without the ball. That requires an awful lot of energy and we're struggling with it. We'll get there and I'm sure there will be 3 worse teams than us.

3 hours ago, Making Plans said:

On days likes these when our normal running and passing game falls apart, and shows no improvement throughout the entire game, there must be a Plan B.

No good saying we haven't got the players for a Plan B, the players we have need to learn a Plan B.

Surely we can't just amble our way through games like this when we're 2 down and do absolutely nothing about it apart from hope that things are going to improve.

That's twice now in as many away games that things haven't improved & both times we were lucky it was only 2-0

I just listened to the Farke reaction. Reading between the lines Plan A was not executed correctly, there was not enough belief initially in the first 15 mins and we were not on the front foot enough. Even if there was a Plan B there is no guarantee that it would have changed anything. I wasn’t at the game but it sounds like Burnley have identified (like Chelsea) that we don’t like being highly pressured while in possession. 

I get the impression Farke knows what he wants the players to do but today they didn’t execute it well enough.

Against Liverpool we stuck to plan A after being 4-0 down and played much better, maybe he was hoping for a repeat performance. 

All completely speculative of course, though it does seem we are going to need to win lots of home games to stay up. 

rather than a whole "plan B" I think we need to learn to defend a bit better. We could learn a thing or 2 from Burnleys 2 centre backs today who were outstanding. Maybe we need Amadou in at DM and Hanley in the back line so we arent so vulnerable in the middle.

2 hours ago, Making Plans said:

This is a joke post, right?, like the opener? I genuinely can’t believe you’re being truly serious? I don’t know if you only follow us when we’re Premier League or wotnot, but you do seem to be massively unaware that this Norwich City side has become renowned in the last 18 or so months under Farke and Webber for having much stronger second half performances than first half. It’s a common theme for us to pick up stronger during our second half performances... so with that in mind.... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Regardless of that information, you suggest, with hindsight 🤦🏻‍♂️, making 3 changes on 45 mins? Seriously? How many professional football managers do you see do this regularly?, if even at all? What happens when one or two players have to come off with either injuries or season threatening niggles early on in the second half? What would be your clever plan B then? Honestly, with respect, there is so much to be completely baffled about by your post. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I was there and Mclean had a pretty decent game today imo and was one of our better performers alongside Leitner and Godfrey. The main problem was that Cantwell, Buendia and Stiepermann were not at their best - there were simply too many passes going astray from them and a lack of patience at times and Byram and Lewis were not at their best. 

1 hour ago, Making Plans said:

My posts are always a reflection of what I have seen on the pitch.

Last week we were brilliant, and I said so, but today we were poor.

Nothing changed from our point of view from the 1st minute right through until the last minute.

It never looked like changing and it didn't.

If things are not happening how you planned then you try change something.

We did not even attempt to try change anything.

Actually I think Farke summed it up when he said "We were not proactive enough"

What he should have said was "I was not proactive enough"

Yep I remember the Farke out last year as we are on our way League 1 and how Ipswich would finish above us again.

Why are you and this Lakey trying to raise expectations. This is a season when anything can happen. We are in the EPL the toughest league in the world. It was only because of the result last week that people’s expectations went up. They managed today with a plan what Manchester City didn’t. 

• Like 1