lappinitup

*****Official match thread v Burnley*****

Really, really poor. Didn’t look like getting on the scoresheet today

1 minute ago, ROBFLECK said:

Painful to mention this, but f%(€ING Lawro was right :classic_sad:

Can I be the first to mention stopped clocks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Can I be the first to mention stopped clocks.

You can be the first to mention it, but everyone was thinking the same.

• Like 3

I mean, with all our injuries it was unlikely the same 11 were going to go out and put on a miraculous performance...again.

Burnley are good at home and the kind of team, especially away, I feel we'll generally struggle against this season.

And despite not performing great, we still had a couple of really good chances which could have completely changed the complexion of the match.

Onto the next one!

• Like 1

Just now, hogesar said:

I mean, with all our injuries it was unlikely the same 11 were going to go out and put on a miraculous performance...again.

Burnley are good at home and the kind of team, especially away, I feel we'll generally struggle against this season.

And despite not performing great, we still had a couple of really good chances which could have completely changed the complexion of the match.

Onto the next one!

Have to agree Hoggo, i said to my son that we'd struggle against them, Still, win one lose one and we will be fine.

• Like 1

The make up of our team and the way be play means we are always going to struggle away from home, but it's disappointing that after a couple of seasons in the Championship we don't seem to be able to cope with physicality.

Next up Palace away. Not hopeful, not a great venue for us.

Making the Villa game awfully important.

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Have to agree Hoggo, i said to my son that we'd struggle against them, Still, win one lose one and we will be fine.

Seems a sensible approach to me, would have been good to carry on from last week, but hey ho, on to the next one.

37 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I have to agree with TVB. Byram just looks hesitant once he gets near the penalty box,  I don’t know whether it’s confidence, lack of instruction (although that seems unlikely) or what.

Not our only hesitant player today, by a long stretch. Were they tired from last week?..we’ll never know. We do know Burnley did a number on us

At least we don’t have to play another side in claret & bloody blue any time soon, phew

3 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Not our only hesitant player today, by a long stretch. Were they tired from last week?..we’ll never know. We do know Burnley did a number on us

At least we don’t have to play another side in claret & bloody blue any time soon, phew

what about villa?

edit - sorry, I missed the irony!

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

As in recent previous seasons in the Premier League we will not garner many points away from home. Survival will come from home performances. I’d much rather DF stick to his footballing philosophy of passing football than parking the bus, boring the fans rigid and still lose. 

• Like 2

Some perspective:

if we had been told we would lose to Man City and beat Burnley we would be where we are tonight.

we are 2 points off the top 6 tonight 😋.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Just back, we let ourselves down over the first 20 mins. After that it was an even match. Please start from the first whistle next time ! 

Christ that was quick, did you leave early? 😜

2 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

So you thought the substitution was ok then?

I think Farke has earned the right for us to trust his decisions for the time being, the bloke has an injury crisis to contend with. 

I see the merit in what you are saying in regards to bringing on Hanley for Tettey, but Farke was probably thinking that we were struggling to keep hold of the ball and Leitner could have helped with that.

Leitner hit the woodwork soon after coming on, Farke would have been vindicated if that had snuck in wouldn't he? 

Or are you talking about the Roberts one? Well it may be that Farke just doesn't think Roberts is ready, and perhaps we have to contractually give him a minimum number of appearances. In which case 2 minutes in a lost game makes perfect sense.

I think its way way way too soon to have people like you bashing the manager considering the resources he has at his disposal, particularly the lack of fit midfielders.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Somehow made it for kick off despite getting stuck in stationary traffic for 45 mins. Even had time for a pre-match pint. 

On the subject of the delay - 5 car smash on a section of M65 where one lane is entirely walled off on either side due to roadworks. Of course, it is this single lane where there is a 5 car smash and we're about 10 cars behind it. Fortunately we inadvertently got talking to a doctor as we were walking up the queue of traffic and he went and checked out all involved parties who were thankfully fine. Full credit to the legendary highway patrol guy who allowed the queueing traffic (which was a few of us City fans and a load of Man City fans 😂) to move the crashed cars once injured parties had been checked out (with agreement from involved parties) before police arrived to shut the road down for hours so we could get past and back on the road to our games. Grant Holt even had a cheeky heckle out his window as he drove past on one of the lanes that were moving (as the single lane was walled off, the other two were moving freely) - he clocked the city shirts and shouted "You'll never make it for kick off lads, up the canaries", and gave us a cheeky grin before speeding off.

On topic of the game - kind of what I expected - we aren't going to get many points against ****house teams like Burnley. Fortunately, there aren't many of them in the Prem. We're far more likely to take points of Leicester, Bournemouth etc type teams than anti-football tossers like Burnley. How on earth people willingly choose to pay to watch that ****e every week is beyond me. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

If we go down, we go down doing the right things, and we'll begin next season with Farke and Webber securely under contract and the club in phenomenal financial health. 

Genuinely not bothered by the loss. It is what it is. I still think we'll be fine this season.

10 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Christ that was quick, did you leave early? 😜

I never leave early, just had a good run M6 and M5 apart from the 'Smart motorways' reducing me to 50mph !

I think we missed Max's energy, athleticism & dribbling skills.  Byram's perhaps more consistent defending was useful against ManC -  but was he involves in any of our breaks? Which were our main threat in that game.

The makeshift Amadou/Godfrey pairing got exposed.too. We really miss Christoph in this sort of game, I think he would have been ideal against Wood; in fact this game reminded me of Champs. games last year, only Burnley were that much better & stronger all round.

I just hope our CBs can get better together until Zimbo gets back. I saw on another site that Max said he'll be back next week. I hope he's right. He's an integral part of our game.

• Like 1

I haven’t seen a replay of the incident yet but TBH Burnley got so much from that ref over the 90 minutes that on balance they couldn’t complain even if it was a clear pen. IMO the worst homer as a ref I can remember for at least the last couple of seasons.

not that this caused the defeat, but if people want to understand why we struggled to create openings going forward one reason was that Burnley weee happy to foul us during the buildup to prevent our passing game getting going, with the “punishment “ being a free kick sometimes but often nothing given at all. 

We hoped creative players would get more protection in the Prem but thus far I’m not seeing it at all.