Sign in to follow this  
It's Character Forming

Last Time I Went to Turf Moor...

Was 2004 for a classic of the sort we saw last season but not often in the interim...

Burnley took the lead no less than 3 times with us pegging then back each time, 3-2 behind at half time and TBH plenty of poor defending on both sides, a very fortunate deflection for one goal by Svensson.

In the second we equalised and then Hucks really started to let rip opening them up in the move that saw us take the lead - I can still remember that run vividly- and then scoring the 5th, nipping in quickly in the box to flip the ball on into the corner.

Here are the highlights, well worth a watch, but I hope we defend better fromset pieces tomorrow!

Edited by It's Character Forming
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Huckerby's pace to get to the first was unreal. Gash celebration though.

Last time I went was under Lambert when Holt scored a cracker but we got beat 2-1.

Making the trip up tomorrow - hopefully it's more like your last visit than mine!! Also hoping they've replace the wooden seats in the away end!!

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Making the trip up tomorrow - hopefully it's more like your last visit than mine!! Also hoping they've replace the wooden seats in the away end!!

Apparently the wooden seats have gone to comply with UEFA rules. 

• Like 1

Anyone remember a 4-4 draw there back in the Boyer and MacDougal days?  We got 2 in the last 5 minutes. I got back on the coach to find a couple of people who had left a bit early 😂

I was there too and remember it well....a family day out indeed with my two young sons. Think it was Robbie Blake who scored their goals. But we won the second half 3-0. Burnley fans were quite gracious but I recall feeling a bit sorry for them as the Burnley team were struggling at the time.

I too left a few minutes before the end with us 4-3 down. Heard a huge cheer as I walked past the Bob Lord stand and thought Burnley must have got another. I couldn’t believe it when I heard it was 4-4. Have never left a few minutes early since. Mel Machin had a shocker in that game.

I'm sure it was some baldy bloke called Noble or something. Seem to remember it being in the papers the following day, that he'd scored 4 goals and still didn't get a win bonus. 

6 hours ago, splendidrush said:

I'm sure it was some baldy bloke called Noble or something. Seem to remember it being in the papers the following day, that he'd scored 4 goals and still didn't get a win bonus. 

That's right. His name was Noble and he got all 4 including a couple of penalties. 

My other memory of that day is eating the best pie ever in a football ground. 

I might be wrong but I think that was the last time we played them in the top division 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Wow, Peter Noble, I remember his bald pate from the Soccer Stars stickers. Just looked at his Wikipedia page, apparently he never missed a penalty in his career (scored 28) and this feat was in a question in the first edition of Trivial Pursuit.

PS My first trip to Turf Moor, I hope the pies are still first class.

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

That's right. His name was Noble and he got all 4 including a couple of penalties. 

My other memory of that day is eating the best pie ever in a football ground. 

I might be wrong but I think that was the last time we played them in the top division 

Big accident on m65 about 90 miles from burnley. I’m stuck 10 cars behind it in a lane with concrete walls either side due to roadworks.... 2 lanes not concreted in are moving but slowly and starting to get congested. Avoid if you can if you’re traveling from midlands

Edited by kick it off